Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today  (Read 717901 times)

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
Re: What did you do to your bike today
« Reply #4350 on: October 20, 2020, 01:55:18 AM »
Finally had some time to work on the Velosolex. New tyres, inners and outers. New spark plug, new fuel filters, new fuel pump diaphragm, cleaned the lines and the jets.

Does it run?

Nope.

Good luck!
https://69ed1a3e-73fd-440e-8041-5d6d636013d8.filesusr.com/ugd/524cc6_321b0c82805c4aeabf91b3052bb4909b.pdf?fbclid=IwAR3AT2v6oPLScsaQR3oH0Io-UOZeqS6v5mZ3t7vFC0Wrvpu_6AUjT33PYAc
fixed them before and there's an idiot guide now:
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 - ORANGE!!!!
« Reply #4351 on: October 20, 2020, 06:37:29 PM »
Put a barn door on the front of it. New Givi screen and gps shelf showed up today. Simple installs, both. Hoping screen will get all air off me so I can crack my face shield in the cold without my eyes watering. My otherwise awesome Shark doesn't have the crack feature.  Since I plan on commuting well into the cold, a barn door will be a welcome addition. I think I'm going to move the switch for the grip heaters to the shelf. Might then put the switch for the new lights where grip heaters was. Maybe velcro a badge holder onto the shelf too and ditch the bulky ram mount currently doing the job. Lots of options now. Pricey but nice.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #4352 on: October 22, 2020, 11:37:16 AM »
Hoping screen will get all air off me so I can crack my face shield in the cold without my eyes watering. My otherwise awesome Shark doesn't have the crack feature. 

FYI Bill - You might resolve that problem by taping a short piece of rubber tubing just below your visor.  When you need the face shield opened just a crack, flip the tube up in-between the chin bar and the face shield, and close the visor to pinch the tube in place, leaving just a crack for air flow.  If it works for you - say thanks to garry - he showed me this trick.

I "installed" heated gear lead this morning.  Found the helmet lock makes a good place to coil the unused lead.  Cable-tied the lead to the frame so when I dismount before disconnecting ... well, you prolly know how that goes.  Now if the sun would just come out & dry off the roads, I could go test the connection out and scrub-in those new Dunlops.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  
João Zilhão on the Assimilation Model of Human Origin

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #4353 on: October 22, 2020, 07:15:54 PM »
I prepped my bike for the annual Monterey Madness ride.  It has been pushed up from the traditional date (first or second weekend in December) because BMW-K is leaving sunny SoCal for his new home in Nashville next weekend.

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Offline Jay547

• Motorcycles: Yamaha FJ-09, Honda CRF450L, Honda CR250, Yamaha AT-125, Suzuki DR200
« Reply #4354 on: October 23, 2020, 04:14:49 PM »
Mounted a new tire.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #4355 on: October 24, 2020, 03:06:31 PM »
Changed fluid and bled all the brakes on the SV.  It needs new tires.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #4356 on: October 24, 2020, 03:27:13 PM »
I was able to get out and ride for an hour. Temps dropped from 46 F to 39 F while we were out. 
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.  --Winnie the Pooh

Offline Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #4357 on: October 24, 2020, 05:22:37 PM »
Aired up a low tire on my wife’s pickup so checked the bikes while I had the air hose out.  All were 5-10lbs. Low.   Not that it matters as it is snowing. 
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie
« Reply #4358 on: October 24, 2020, 07:00:02 PM »

Put the cover on and hooked up the battery tender. :(

Probably get a few more rides in before the snow flies but it'll be heated gear needed rides...
She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #4359 on: October 25, 2020, 10:32:50 AM »
Mounted a new tire.

It looks like the Michelin PR4.  I've been thinking of the Road 5 for my next set of tires.  I'm curious why you chose the 4 over the 5, is there something I should consider?
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.  --Winnie the Pooh

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #4360 on: October 25, 2020, 12:36:19 PM »
Also fixed the rear brake.  Looks like when it has a low-speed tip over on the right side, the rear brake mount/peg mount bent, cause binding of the rear brake lever.  So I removed all that, heated it in the right spots and straightened it all out.  Works like new again now.
Let's do some science.

Offline Jay547

• Motorcycles: Yamaha FJ-09, Honda CRF450L, Honda CR250, Yamaha AT-125, Suzuki DR200
« Reply #4361 on: October 26, 2020, 06:18:52 PM »
Mounted a new tire.

It looks like the Michelin PR4.  I've been thinking of the Road 5 for my next set of tires.  I'm curious why you chose the 4 over the 5, is there something I should consider?

The one I took off was a Road 5. I just didn't like it as well as the 4. Enough so that I went back. I felt it slip a couple times and had that mini-heart attack. It was bad enough that I pulled over thinking I was getting a flat. I had run the 4 a few times before and never had that problem.

This was just my personal experience. I didn't do any research to see if it was happening to others. I tend to stick with things that I know work for me.

Offline BMW-K

• Contributor
  • The Original ER6i Pimp
  • Motorcycles: F800GS, 765 RS, WR250R
« Reply #4362 on: October 26, 2020, 10:14:08 PM »
I prepped my bike for the annual Monterey Madness ride.  It has been pushed up from the traditional date (first or second weekend in December) because BMW-K is leaving sunny SoCal for his new home in Nashville next weekend.

Well, I burned off a lot of miles chasing miles through the backroads of Monterey and Santa Cruz...
IBA #:  20880
Damn.  Was that really a good idea?

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #4363 on: October 26, 2020, 10:33:01 PM »

Well, I burned off a lot of miles chasing miles through the backroads of Monterey and Santa Cruz...

Oh... there you are, ya weirdo.
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #4364 on: October 27, 2020, 08:32:28 AM »
Mounted a new tire.

The one I took off was a Road 5. I just didn't like it as well as the 4. Enough so that I went back. I felt it slip a couple times and had that mini-heart attack. It was bad enough that I pulled over thinking I was getting a flat. I had run the 4 a few times before and never had that problem.

This was just my personal experience. I didn't do any research to see if it was happening to others. I tend to stick with things that I know work for me.

Thanks!  Now I'm wondering whether the 5 will have a short manufacturing life and be replaced soon with a 6.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
« Reply #4365 on: October 27, 2020, 09:03:33 PM »
New headlight brackets for the SV- but now I have to lower the gauge cluster bracket I built. 
Let's do some science.

Offline Jay547

« Reply #4366 on: October 28, 2020, 06:24:05 AM »
Mounted a new tire.

Thanks!  Now I'm wondering whether the 5 will have a short manufacturing life and be replaced soon with a 6.

I know guys who love them. I'm just not one of them. I never tried a Road 5 front. I still have the 4 on the front.

Offline melville

• Motorcycles: R75/6, Yamaha 850 (very) Special
« Reply #4367 on: November 04, 2020, 11:03:57 PM »
I meet a group of guys in Montana each year in June, or I try to.  We camp in this guys yard, burn meat, drink beer, and talk about how we have failed and succeeded in our relationships.  I made it to Montana in 2018 and 2019 and would have gone to the same group again in 2020 but for COVID, a changed deadline at work, and me moving house. 

One of my Montana friends died on the way home from the 2020 gathering:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/alan-beck-aka-duckworth-has-been-killed-in-a-crash.1454551/

I had to think that he didn't see the left turner, as he was riding into the sunrise.  And of course, that the left turner didn't see him.  One of my friends found these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083TXGSGV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They looked to me like they could be mounted on the fork brace screws and that the wires would reach to the dip relay I'd installed under the tank.  And that as LEDs they wouldn't draw too much power.  So I ordered a set.

Here they are in the flesh:

They are wired individually, and have male ends on the wires.  Not DIN code here--yellow is high beam, red is low beam, and black is ground.  A slight annoyance to me, but I can deal.

I combined the harnesses and the two 20 ga wires were a good fit in a 14-18 ga terminal:

I did female spades on the hot wires and a ring terminal on the ground.  The hot wires were piggybacked on the relay spades along with the main beam wires, and the ground went to the relay mount screw.

Mounted:

Lit:

They are brighter than the headlight.  I need to improve the wire routing a little, but it's working great so far.  I took a ride in the mountains and found that they were throwing a bright spot on the road in the shadows, something I've not seen in the daytime from the main headlight.

I got out for a twilight ride with my sweetie and got a couple pix of the lights on my garage door when I got home.  Here's low beam:

And here's high beam:

Yes, that pitiful yellow bit is the OG headlight.  The bulb is only a few weeks old!

I haven't ridden in full darkness yet and may not for a while.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.

Offline Black Hills

« Reply #4368 on: November 05, 2020, 08:53:50 AM »
mid 70's but winter comes back next week so took them both for a spin, topped off with gas and sea foam..
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
« Reply #4369 on: November 09, 2020, 09:33:52 PM »
I meet a group of guys in Montana each year in June, or I try to.  We camp in this guys yard, burn meat, drink beer, and talk about how we have failed and succeeded in our relationships.  I made it to Montana in 2018 and 2019 and would have gone to the same group again in 2020 but for COVID, a changed deadline at work, and me moving house. 

First, I'm so sorry for your loss.  That just sucks.

Second- I really like those lights.  Do they have mounting holes so you can mount them sideways or up and down?
Let's do some science.

Offline melville

« Reply #4370 on: November 09, 2020, 10:39:49 PM »

First, I'm so sorry for your loss.  That just sucks.

Second- I really like those lights.  Do they have mounting holes so you can mount them sideways or up and down?

Yes, they can be mounted in any position.

A sharp eyed guy thinks they may be mounted upside down as the low beam setting has the same top cutoff as the high beam.  I'll reorient them soon (I have a water heater to replace) and report back.  If he's right, and these are made consistently, the wire should exit out the bottom as mounted.  I think there's still enough wire to reach under the tank to my dip relay.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #4371 on: November 10, 2020, 10:38:09 AM »
new coil, condenser and points on the Solex-the electrics were producing insufficient current to cause the plug to spark (but enough to give a nice shock). Found the flywheel key has been sheared off by someone, which will make setting the timing fun.

Offline Black Hills

« Reply #4372 on: November 10, 2020, 12:20:51 PM »
moved it from one side of the garage to the other  :-[

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #4373 on: November 10, 2020, 01:38:56 PM »
Put the barn door back on.  I'd put the stock screen back on for the ride Saturday and forgot to put it back on when we got back.  Monday's ride was a tad chilly.  Guess the barn door works.. 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #4374 on: November 10, 2020, 03:22:38 PM »
Added gas stabilizer & filled the tank.  Then I rode it for an hour to flush it through the system.  Cold days are coming.
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  
João Zilhão on the Assimilation Model of Human Origin

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Online Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #4375 on: November 10, 2020, 10:59:35 PM »
Been working on a neighbors generator in the driveway, so hard to get the GSA out of the garage. Its a large industrial diesel genset (has licence plate) and it's has been in the driveway tooo long and I would like to be able to ride the GSA. This afternoon I broke down and did the 500 point u turn with the bike. Now she is pointed out of the garage and ready to ride to work tomorrow. 
  Maybe I'll finish reassembling the generator's engine this weekend and finally get it back to his house were it belongs.
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Offline melville

« Reply #4376 on: November 11, 2020, 06:50:01 AM »
Been working on a neighbors generator in the driveway, so hard to get the GSA out of the garage. Its a large industrial diesel genset (has licence plate) and it's has been in the driveway tooo long and I would like to be able to ride the GSA. This afternoon I broke down and did the 500 point u turn with the bike. Now she is pointed out of the garage and ready to ride to work tomorrow. 
  Maybe I'll finish reassembling the generator's engine this weekend and finally get it back to his house were it belongs.

Is he gonna hook you up with some good stuff?

Online Andrew

• Contributor
« Reply #4377 on: November 11, 2020, 06:13:00 PM »

Lots of Ben's, the genset is for his business and not that kind of "business" he can report this on his taxes. He sets up pumpkin patches with jumpy rooms and blow up slides. This year the patch was scratched, but this might not have been a bad year to cut the patch as the genset began to push oil into the cooling system. 
  Got to put the rockerbox back and set the overhead tonight.
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

Offline melville

« Reply #4378 on: November 12, 2020, 10:11:16 AM »

Lots of Ben's, the genset is for his business and not that kind of "business" he can report this on his taxes. He sets up pumpkin patches with jumpy rooms and blow up slides. This year the patch was scratched, but this might not have been a bad year to cut the patch as the genset began to push oil into the cooling system. 
  Got to put the rockerbox back and set the overhead tonight.

Just an artifact of where I lived until this last summer.  Laytonville useta have a business called Mendo Power which had about a dozen trailered gennies for sale at any time.  Legalization has killed Diesel Dope for many reasons.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #4379 on: November 19, 2020, 10:59:04 AM »
I winterized Ninjette Noire last weekend as I had a hernia repaired on Tuesday.  It looks like I should stay relatively inactive for about 4 weeks after the surgery, so that puts me in Mid December before I should go for a ride again.  It would be nice if winter held off, but I can't really count on that happening.

Offline Black Hills

« Reply #4380 on: November 19, 2020, 11:06:06 AM »
rode it, well not today but yesterday. 100+ miles of twisties (only a little bit of needles highway was wet/gravel the rest was all good) probably the last ride of the year for that bike but it was fun and I got to test my brakes/reflexes thanks to a wayward deer, we missed each other by a few feet so all was good.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #4381 on: November 19, 2020, 11:09:54 AM »
Moved it out of the way to make room to assemble the new splitter.  Haven't ridden at all this week.  Wind earlier this week, then cold.  22 at the house this AM.  Nope.  Will probably ride tomorrow tho.  Can't go a whole week.  Not yet. 

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #4382 on: November 20, 2020, 05:13:01 AM »
gave up on trying to make a new key for the Solex's flywheel and gave it to an engineer to fix.

Online Andrew

• Contributor
« Reply #4383 on: November 21, 2020, 06:50:16 PM »
Finished the genset and delivered it back to the owners property.

Work done, pay time followed,.....  Filled the tanks of the CT110, Chappy and mixed up a gallon of 2 stroke for the Puch. My sons and I went out and tried to lower the fuel in said tanks. 2 hours of fun followed, many smiles from neighbors and a few scowls from a dog walker or two (most smiled and the dogs cared not).

It's been a good day   ;D