Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today  (Read 674847 times)

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
Re: What did you do to your bike today
« Reply #4250 on: June 12, 2020, 04:44:19 AM »
seat is now filled with memory foam, bar risers on a while ago, new (Rizoma) bars, adjustable foot pegs. nearly sorted for long journeys.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Offline melville

• Motorcycles: R75/6, Yamaha 850 (very) Special
« Reply #4251 on: June 12, 2020, 07:59:10 AM »
Added 1/2 qt of oil.  Not bad for over 2K miles.  My car leaks/burns twice as much.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R) ... Indian Scout (RIP)
« Reply #4252 on: June 12, 2020, 11:58:51 AM »
My F800ST came with two seats. The second one was bought with intention of having it re-padded and covered.   The previous owner had a lower back problem from a bicycle incident and thought / hoped different padding would help.  But his back worsened and he sold the F800 (to me).
The seat that was on the F800 (I have no way of knowing which seat actually came with the bike) was ok, but it had a soft spot where the previous owner sat, which was about an inch (and a half?) forward of where I sit, and I'd gradually, slowly slide forward... which was annoying.
The 2nd seat does NOT have a soft spot. Which is very pleasing.
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
« Reply #4253 on: June 12, 2020, 01:11:12 PM »
My F800ST came with two seats. The second one was bought with intention of having it re-padded and covered.   The previous owner had a lower back problem from a bicycle incident and thought / hoped different padding would help.  But his back worsened and he sold the F800 (to me).
The seat that was on the F800 (I have no way of knowing which seat actually came with the bike) was ok, but it had a soft spot where the previous owner sat, which was about an inch (and a half?) forward of where I sit, and I'd gradually, slowly slide forward... which was annoying.
The 2nd seat does NOT have a soft spot. Which is very pleasing.

If they are both stock BMW seats,  pleasing won't last too long   :-X

Offline Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #4254 on: June 12, 2020, 08:42:47 PM »
Added air the the tires, been looking at 32 f and 33 r for a few days on the dash. I woke up early today so  grabbed the hose from the compressor and popped a few pounds in each, bringing them up to spec. No noticeable difference in ride or feel.
Some days I am absolutely lazy  8)
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Offline thatguy

• Motorcycles: a few
« Reply #4255 on: June 12, 2020, 08:55:15 PM »
Mount/balance a new rear tire. 8660 miles. More than I expected and it prob'ly had a few hundred left but I don't like to push my luck that far.
sometimes WTF is the appropriate answer

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #4256 on: July 01, 2020, 01:15:51 PM »
I replaced the drive belt. 
The old one only has 11K miles, but it has a small hole in it - a grain of rice could be slid thru it.  But not a dry pea... I don't think.
The longest part was figuring out how to set the tension.  BMW calls for a special tool.   Haynes says to use a spring scale (like weighing fish) and a ruler.  I don't have a spring scale.  A cpl forums recommend setting it with the bike on the center stand.  I don't have one of them...  Finally found a twisting the belt method, buy a guy with the same bike and lives in the same city.  Guess I'll have to see if he wants to meet up someday.
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #4257 on: July 01, 2020, 04:16:02 PM »
Ninjette Noire didn't really need a bath, but I gave her a light cleaning just so she could sparkle.  She likes to look good while she passes everybody.  Yep, she's that kinda girl.   :D  And I hit my helmet visor with some headlight polish to remove a few scratches.

So the morning was turned into a light garage day.  The cars didn't need washing, except one fender had apparently offended a violently ill bird so it was washed along with Ms. Noire.  Then I replaced a flat innertube on the Pedal Ninja and lubed the chain.  And while I was out there, I noticed that the shelves I installed a year ago last June had somehow become dusty and grimey.  How could this have possibly happened in my neat and clean garage????  :lol:  So stuff was taken down, cleaned, and reorganized. A few items haven't been used since last year, so it's time for a discussion to see whether they can go away.   :)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  --Douglas Adams

Online Jay547

• Motorcycles: Yamaha FJ-09, Honda CRF450L, Honda CR250, Yamaha AT-125, Suzuki DR200
« Reply #4258 on: July 03, 2020, 08:24:35 PM »
Two of my bikes: oiled chains and checked tires. Haven't decided yet which one to ride tomorrow.

Online slayman

• Motorcycles: 05 ZZR 1200, 84 GPZ 550 (not running)
« Reply #4259 on: July 18, 2020, 08:20:03 AM »
Found this in a new, 500 miles, PR5😡
"James Bond killed many men with a .380 and that's all I need to know." Cookie 2015-02-12

Offline jimmy

• Motorcycles: 2004 VFR-A
« Reply #4260 on: July 18, 2020, 10:06:45 AM »
Robertson head!!!

Perhaps they are more common your way than I was led to believe.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #4261 on: July 18, 2020, 11:58:39 AM »

Ugh!   :(
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  --Douglas Adams

Online slayman

• Motorcycles: 05 ZZR 1200, 84 GPZ 550 (not running)
« Reply #4262 on: July 18, 2020, 02:22:32 PM »
Robertson head!!!

Perhaps they are more common your way than I was led to believe.
Or I found the only on this side of the border. I had no idea they had a name
"James Bond killed many men with a .380 and that's all I need to know." Cookie 2015-02-12

Offline jimmy

• Motorcycles: 2004 VFR-A
« Reply #4263 on: July 18, 2020, 04:47:23 PM »
The Robertson is a vastly superior product to the Phillips.

Google "Robertson Head" for a truly interesting tale.

Oh ya, and sorry to hear about the tire!

Offline thatguy

« Reply #4264 on: July 18, 2020, 07:16:13 PM »

You need this. I've done track days with them.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
« Reply #4265 on: July 19, 2020, 08:00:03 PM »
I made a puzzle out of it...

Fake it with what you have
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 08:30:30 PM by Leanintree »
Great googly-moogly!

Offline thatguy

« Reply #4266 on: July 19, 2020, 08:09:35 PM »
Rode it in oppressive heat. In a t-shirt and jeans. :D

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #4267 on: July 22, 2020, 01:26:48 PM »
I fixed a broken bracket for my Oxford heated grips.  Yesterday I was riding the hilly sweepers north of West Bend, and upon returning home discovered that the bracket for my heated grip controller had broken at the hole where the screw attaches it to the bike.  So I took a pic for a potential warranty claim and then fixed it myself by trimming back the excess with my tin snips and drilling a new hole.  I expect this will work out well.

My guess is that the bracket was long enough to get some motion going when traveling Wisconsin's bumpy roads, and the repetitive motion caused a stress fracture.  Maybe the modified bracket's shorter length will reduce that tendency, and the wider part of the bracket with the new hole may add strength.

Offline minimac

• Practicing Neanderthal, Nuclear Nomad
  • Motorcycles: GL1500A, Silverwing, ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶, Morphous
old enough to know better

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #4269 on: July 28, 2020, 08:29:11 AM »
Found out the slow leak of the front tire has gotten worse.
Went for a ride...  The warning light (icon) came on.  The tire pressures came up on the dash, without me selecting them.   Front 32 (should be 36).   OK, I think to myself, I've gotta add air again...   
5(?) miles later, it's 31.   Oh carp!   I head toward home.
It was down to 29 when I got home.
Log says the tires been on for 6K miles. 
Ordered a Metzeler RoadTec (Z8)  from Rocky Mountain.   Will be here in two days (free shipping).

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #4270 on: July 28, 2020, 08:40:17 AM »
spooned some Dunlop trailmax Mission tires on the Advetnure. they have to be better than those crap TKC80's it came with. 
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #4271 on: July 29, 2020, 11:53:23 AM »
Does for my bike count?
Ram doesn't make a specific mount for my Garmin DriveSmart 55.  I've been using a Ram X mount, but it's not a solid mount, the DS55 doesn't fit in it well and it's a bit of a hassle to use the tether band.
So I bought a Ciro  phone/GPS mount/holder.    I got it from JP cycle, then found it cheaper on Amazon (w/ prime). Oh well.
The Ciro is well made, BUT... it uses a proprietary mount w/ a 5/8" ball.  I've got lots of Ram parts.  I didn't buy a Ciro mount.
So...   I cut off the Ciro 5/8 ball socket and mounted a Ram B (1") ball (on a diamond base).  Two 8-32 flat head screws (not the 10-32's I bought first) and nuts worked!   I added a drop of thread lock for confidence.

Online Black Hills

« Reply #4272 on: July 29, 2020, 12:24:37 PM »
not yet, but the plan after work is to see why the superduke clutch is acting wonky? engages as soon as you start letting it out and it's almost impossible to get in neutral with it running?   will check clutch oil jet, bleed clutch, and look for anything unusual. 
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #4273 on: July 29, 2020, 01:44:15 PM »
Cleaned, adjusted and oiled the chain.  Used DuPont Teflon stuff.   I’m not big on chain maintenance, maybe once every 3000 to 5000 miles.  I know, I know, it won’t last.  I only got 25000 miles or so out of chains on my Wee before I had to replace them.  Modern chains today aren’t like the old days, when chain maintenance was a twice weekly or more often thing; even then you might see rust and I don’t recall ever getting more than 8000 or maybe 10k miles out of one, if that.  This chain looks like new and rolls really nice and smooth.  Tightened it towards the loose side of center spec based on MadJack’s experience with his Versys.  It was barely a half-inch out before I adjusted it.  We’ll see how it wears. 
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  
João Zilhão on the Assimilation Model of Human Origin

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Online Black Hills

« Reply #4274 on: July 29, 2020, 01:51:43 PM »
not yet, but the plan after work is to see why the superduke clutch is acting wonky? engages as soon as you start letting it out and it's almost impossible to get in neutral with it running?   will check clutch oil jet, bleed clutch, and look for anything unusual.

well, that was easy. stopped at home for lunch and went to open the bleeder on the slave cylinder and the whole banjo bolt turned? tightened that and bled it on that end, nothing... same as before?  moved to the master cylinder bleeder, pull the clutch in, open bleeder and nothing??? tighten bleeder let clutch out, pull it back in, open bleeder and get some fluid. tighten bleeder and clutch feel like new! hopefully it lasts?

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #4275 on: July 29, 2020, 04:46:24 PM »
Found out the slow leak of the front tire has gotten worse.
Went for a ride...  The warning light (icon) came on.  The tire pressures came up on the dash, without me selecting them.   Front 32 (should be 36).   OK, I think to myself, I've gotta add air again...   
5(?) miles later, it's 31.   Oh carp!   I head toward home.
It was down to 29 when I got home.
Log says the tires been on for 6K miles. 
Ordered a Metzeler RoadTec (Z8)  from Rocky Mountain.   Will be here in two days (free shipping).

Well... FML??
The bike is prepped to remove the front wheel.   Fender is off, all other bolts to remove the wheel are loosened.  The jack is under the front of the engine. 
FedEx truck came.  Sat in front of my house for 3-6 minutes... and... LEFT! 
FedEx tracking says it's "on vehicle for delivery"...  just like it did at 7:45 this morning.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
« Reply #4276 on: August 02, 2020, 06:31:44 AM »
Got tired of having fozzy apart so I worked on fixing the issue instead of waiting who knows how long for parts to arrive. The handlebars sit on the huge handlebar holders which bolt through the triple tree.  Once I got them off, I confirmed my suspicion that there was a bend. The bolt that comes out of the holder is probably 3+” long so I took the one that wasn’t at a 90 degree angle and started beating on it with a hammer. Nothing to lose since new ones are on the way. After several attempts and comparisons, I actually got the offending one to match the other. Buttoned it all back up and low and behold, my bars are straight. Go figure. Still a little weirded out about the rubber mounting but I guess that’s the way of modern comfort requirements.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #4277 on: August 02, 2020, 08:35:17 AM »
Installed a new battery on the triumph. Was pleasantly surprised that this battery has  volt meter and alarm built into it.

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #4278 on: August 02, 2020, 10:24:16 AM »
Installed a new battery on the triumph. Was pleasantly surprised that this battery has  volt meter and alarm built into it.
Where'd you get it / from?

Online mr.awesome

« Reply #4279 on: August 02, 2020, 11:23:52 AM »
Where'd you get it / from?

Amazon for $53.  Got good reviews.
https://www.amazon.com/Chrome-Battery-YTX14-BS-iGel-Performance-Rechargeable-Replacement-Maintenance/dp/B01BX9OYIU

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #4280 on: August 02, 2020, 05:13:30 PM »
Noticed that while riding around the house, the adjustable windscreen would not stay in the upper position even while really tight. The metal on metal tension just isn’t sufficient for the advanced vibes I’m able to induce here. I took it apart and luckily, the piece of metal that goes into the slot is kind of square and has a decent lip tp to. I was able to stretch a small rubber gasket around it so when pressure is created by tightening the knob, there is significantly greater “stiction” so it stays put. While it was apart, I cleaned and waxed the rails so when I do need to move it, it won’t stick. I have a new screen on the way so I’ll be paying much attention to this in the near future. Looking forward to seeing how this will work with the bumpy ride I will encounter.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #4281 on: August 06, 2020, 01:07:36 PM »
Ordered a set of Shinko 705s and a pair of Forma Low Adventures.  :)  That grand I had for farkles and such is about gone.   ;D

edit:  that reads like really expensive boots.  Also ordered a new Puig dark screen,  mirror extender things, givi engine guards, shorty levers (orange...so what), and got a refund on the handlebar replacement thingies cuz they were out of stock.  Handy.  Now, I just need some lighting and I'll be done.

Online Black Hills

« Reply #4282 on: August 06, 2020, 01:23:54 PM »
changed the oil, lubed the chain and kickstand.  I can;t get my self to go the 9,000 miles between oil changes that the manual recommends 6k is all I can do.

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
  • Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
« Reply #4283 on: August 06, 2020, 01:46:51 PM »
I put these stickers on my bike the other day. They were a souvenir from South Africa  :smoking:

www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #4284 on: August 06, 2020, 03:37:15 PM »
Yay stickers!
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

"I like the beverages."  -CLAY

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #4285 on: August 06, 2020, 06:34:23 PM »
I put these stickers on my bike the other day. They were a souvenir from South Africa  :smoking:

Legit. I will be putting a dragon on mine. But to be perfectly honest, I've never actually seen a dragon in the wild. 

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #4286 on: August 07, 2020, 05:09:06 AM »

Legit. I will be putting a dragon on mine. But to be perfectly honest, I've never actually seen a dragon in the wild.

I told you not to stop taking drugs. It never ends well.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Online mr.awesome

« Reply #4287 on: August 07, 2020, 07:35:36 AM »

Bill, you need this one.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #4288 on: August 07, 2020, 08:03:05 AM »
wocka wocka wocka

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #4289 on: August 07, 2020, 08:06:32 AM »
Fozzy is cute but...  this is what's going on my black tank: 

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #4290 on: August 08, 2020, 06:42:56 PM »
Got the stuff from UPS on Friday so got the mirror extenders on then the new windscreen and one side engine guard. Good learning curve regarding removing all three bolts from the motor mount...  Idjit. Got up this AM and put the other side on. Screen is tall and dark. Engine guards are ...out there. Good mounts for lights and maybe highway pegs in the future.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #4291 on: August 10, 2020, 07:36:25 AM »
I have a few miles on the bike w/ the stuff on it.  The mirror extenders are worth their weight in gold.  They were already pretty good on the Versys anyway but now I have zero shoulder.  The tall dark screen looks pretty good but I'm not tall enough for it.  When on the road, its fine as I'm looking far enough forward that I don't have to look through it.  But going down the driveway, it's pretty annoying.  I do love the way it moves the air around me at speed.  It provides for shield up riding the whole time and any speed.  That's pretty great.  The engine guards are just a necessary evil.  Bike reminds me of Princess Leah.  I should have done some more research before jumping into some parts.  I have always used Givi engine guards and just assumed they'd be the ones I'd want.  Turns out there are several others that look better and will probably provide as good or better protection.  Meh, live and learn.  Not sexy.  Stock photos because WV.