Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today  (Read 662458 times)

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
Re: What did you do to your bike today
« Reply #4200 on: April 22, 2020, 12:14:14 PM »
Let me level with you here.
I'm not on my best game. Mentally distracted and in a lot of pain. Things I generally don't openly discuss.

Oh man. Sorry, dude. Pain sucks :(
this signature on hold pending review

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #4201 on: April 26, 2020, 05:10:09 AM »
Started clearing out the biggish shed, so I can empty and then destroy the little shed. Putting motorcycle stuff in the attic. Anyone want a straight bar conversion and peg lowering kit for a Blackbird?

Found some lovely old 1960s ace bars.

I can't destroy the little shed! bleeding birds nesting.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 04:17:56 PM by Papa Lazarou »
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Online slayman

• Motorcycles: 05 ZZR 1200, 84 GPZ 550 (not running)
« Reply #4202 on: May 02, 2020, 11:34:41 AM »
Shock swap. Off with the old on, with the rebuilt.
"James Bond killed many men with a .380 and that's all I need to know." Cookie 2015-02-12

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #4203 on: May 02, 2020, 04:25:17 PM »
Yesterday and today I removed Ms. Noire's fairings and attempted to add a Denali Sound Bomb with the plug-n-play wiring, only to find it didn't work.  After trying to do some troubleshooting, I called Revzilla.  They offered no troubleshooting help but will take them as a return.

I also repositioned the controls for my Scottoiler and my heated grips, and added a dual sided emitter for the Scottoiler.

I then added a radiator screen as my radiator was already getting a few dings, and I applied some 3M clear protective film where my saddlebags touch my rear side fairings.

I dropped two fasteners when reassembling my fairings.  I heard them hit the ground, but couldn't find them despite getting on my hands and knees.  There is no floor drain for them to vanish into.  I may end up removing everything from the garage tomorrow.  My local Ninja store said they can get replacements in two working days.

Which reminds me:  Newton's Fourth Law of Motion states that an object dropped from a workbench will roll to the nearest inaccessible place.  Baxter's Corollary to Newton's Fourth Law of Motion is that the force attracting a dropped object to the nearest inaccessible place increases exponentially in relation to the difficulty of replacing the object.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  --Douglas Adams

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #4204 on: May 02, 2020, 05:10:22 PM »
New chain/sprockets and spark plug on the 300 as well as a good once over before riding season.  She’s all ready to go!   
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #4205 on: May 03, 2020, 04:25:22 PM »
Got it out Friday and took her for a short ride...
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Online thatguy

• Motorcycles: a few
« Reply #4206 on: May 03, 2020, 06:07:46 PM »
Gave it a rest after riding it in the rain all week. Still raining so maybe a bath tomorrow.
sometimes WTF is the appropriate answer

Online Black Hills

« Reply #4207 on: May 03, 2020, 08:43:32 PM »
Oiled the chain after a quick ride to devils tower.   
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #4208 on: May 03, 2020, 10:52:42 PM »
Reconnected the battery tender to the red one 

I did ride the CT110 down to the post office, forgot to pick up the mail Saturday
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Online badwolf

• Motorcycles: Aprilia Futura
« Reply #4209 on: May 04, 2020, 11:51:09 AM »
Not specifically my bike, but one in our household. Suzuki 400 single. Spent Sunday installing a new piston, rings, valves, valve guide seals, and gaskets.

Online thatguy

• Motorcycles: a few
« Reply #4210 on: May 04, 2020, 12:22:25 PM »
Getting ready to drag the Harley from the garage and wash some of the past weeks rain from it.
sometimes WTF is the appropriate answer

Offline Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
« Reply #4211 on: May 04, 2020, 02:54:36 PM »
Tire dance this Spring is complete. Changed out the rear on the wifes Bandito, under an hour, with no snags. Didnt' even lose any tire beads. New one stretched on easily, back on the bike and ready to scuff lickety split. Seated with 2 gentle pops in moments flat.

Wicked headshake cured as well.  :banana: :banana: :banana: After perusing some old photos, I realized that the old tires were definitely the culprit... easily 10 years on those skins. She doesn't do the miles that I do, but I'll not kid you , I really didn't realize how long those had been on there because they weren't worn away in a year like I do. Anybody need a 160/60-17 to do burnouts with? I may cut up the front to keep some yahoo from pulling it from the dead tire pile.

LT
Great googly-moogly!

Offline Jay547

• Motorcycles: Yamaha FJ-09, Honda CRF450L, Honda CR250, Yamaha AT-125, Suzuki DR200
« Reply #4212 on: May 08, 2020, 10:56:37 PM »
Changed the front brake pads on the 450L. Got 5500 miles out of the stockers but they were squawking.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #4213 on: May 09, 2020, 08:53:26 AM »
Changed the front brake pads on the 450L. Got 5500 miles out of the stockers but they were squawking.

Is that a typical mileage for replacing a dual-sport's brake pads?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  --Douglas Adams

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #4214 on: May 09, 2020, 10:07:51 AM »
new end weights on the new handlebars

Online Andrew

• Contributor
« Reply #4215 on: May 09, 2020, 09:12:11 PM »
I was cleaning the garage today, and needed to move all the bikes out. As a rule "If the bke comes out IT MUST BE RIDDEN"   Yep I had a short jaunt on all 5 bikes

Moped started and ran with no issues , fun but limited to about 25 maybe 35 (70 cc kit)
Chappy took a bit to fire up, in low it felt like it was going to pull the front up leaving the driveway
CT110 down to the local market (ran out of beer) fun and peppy (but better suited for under 35mph)
1150GSA Hooo Ya love Ya honey
1200GSA smooth and nimble as always

neighbors might think am nuts, around the block or so every 5 min on a different bike, having fun,

OK so I did not "do" anything but I did enjoy them
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

Offline Jay547

• Motorcycles: Yamaha FJ-09, Honda CRF450L, Honda CR250, Yamaha AT-125, Suzuki DR200
« Reply #4216 on: May 09, 2020, 09:28:19 PM »

Is that a typical mileage for replacing a dual-sport's brake pads?

I honestly can't remember. My previous one was a DR650 that I had for five years. I was going to look at my maintenance records, then remembered that the records went with the bike.

Note: I rarely touch the back brake so my mileage may be less than most people's.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #4217 on: May 09, 2020, 09:45:39 PM »
Thanks.

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #4218 on: May 10, 2020, 09:39:46 AM »
Uninstalled the Honda/Clarion CB/Intercom because I don't use it much any more. Already has a new home once I clean things up a little and bag-and-tag the parts for shipping.

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R) ... Indian Scout (RIP)
« Reply #4219 on: May 11, 2020, 07:35:01 PM »
Put a tag on it.
Sorta.
And not just today...

This is kinda long, so click past or settle in.

When I got my BMW F800ST Oct '18, I transferred the tag from my Ninja650 to it.
Last June I traded in a VStar950 for an Indian Scout - and transferred that tag.
I 'lost' the Scout last July...   see > Members Only »Went down, was out, gettin back up  for details

Last fall, I went to the DMV to get info on getting a Veteran tag/plate (I'm retired Air Force, enlisted aircrew) for the Ninja.  It will be transferred to what ever bike I get when I get the lawsuit settlement check...   And then I'll sell the Ninja.
I was told it'd be easier // cheaper to do it when the tag expires, which is (was) April.
Late March, I downloaded the form, filled it in and set it with a check - this was for transferring the plate from the Scout to the Ninja and replacing it with a Veteran tag.
Cpl/few weeks later, I get a check from the DMV.   I can't transfer the tag on(from) the Scout now because it now belongs to the Ins. Co (as they 'bought' the bike - paid for it as 'totaled').   This really shocked me, as in Wisc, plates/tag belong to the owner - they don't go with the vehicle when sold...
So I called DMV...  Explained my situation and desire,  Got the info for how to fill out the form.
Repeat filling form, writing check and mail.
I don't have the new tag yet, but I got a letter from DMV today saying it's on it's way and that I can carry the letter 'on the vehicle' until I get the Vet plate.

Edit to add:  Until writing this, I'd lost track of how long it's been since I rode the Ninja.  There is stabilizer in the fuel, but I'm not going to put insurance on it until I know it runs.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 07:49:20 PM by HipGnosis »
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Offline Jay547

« Reply #4220 on: May 11, 2020, 10:08:35 PM »
Fixed a flat.

Sucks.

Offline ChrisFZ1

• This space for sale.
  • Motorcycles: '19 Tracer 900
« Reply #4221 on: May 12, 2020, 06:23:11 PM »
Picked it up from the dealership, rode it 120 miles.

It's like my old VStrom 1000 and more recent FZ1 mated and had a viable offspring.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
« Reply #4222 on: May 13, 2020, 10:37:06 AM »
Picked it up from the dealership, rode it 120 miles.

It's like my old VStrom 1000 and more recent FZ1 mated and had a viable offspring.

:needpics:
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online Black Hills

« Reply #4223 on: May 13, 2020, 11:04:10 AM »
walked by it on the way to my pickup to drive to work in the 37 deg. drizzle....

Offline ChrisFZ1

• This space for sale.
« Reply #4224 on: May 13, 2020, 05:50:06 PM »
It's true, I didn't take pics. I just got on it and rode for several hours.

Like the VStrom - upright riding position, same type of fairing, great down low and midrange torque. Longer travel suspension makes it fun on bumpy country barely-two lane roads.

Like the FZ1- Revs freely, I can tell it's going to scream in the upper rev range, 17-inch sport tires. Going to get the ECU flashed.

When I first rode the FZ1, I stalled it 3 times trying to get out of the parking lot. It had relatively no low-end power coming from a ZRX. No such issue with the Tracer.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #4225 on: May 18, 2020, 02:20:03 PM »
I ordered a rider seat for my Ninjette from Norton Motorsports.  They added more cush and flattened the seat because the OEM pushed one forward into the tank.

They don't do a passenger seat cover, and their vinyl doesn't match OEM, so I also requested an extra amount of vinyl to have a local car/boat upholstery shop do a new seat cover and handle strap.

The owner replied to my order and said that he'd look into whether they could actually do the passenger seat.  Cool, Ms. Noire may become a prototype. 

This business specializes in making race parts for several small displacement bikes.  They've put in a lot of work as the Ninja 400's clutch needed beefing up for track days.  The seat seems a bit of a different direction because it's clearly aimed at comfort instead of speed/low weight/racer stuff.

Online badwolf

• Motorcycles: Aprilia Futura
« Reply #4226 on: May 19, 2020, 09:08:09 AM »
Not specifically my bike, but one in our household. Suzuki 400 single. Spent Sunday installing a new piston, rings, valves, valve guide seals, and gaskets.

Continued on the Suzuki 400... Reinstalled camshaft, checked timing, adjusted valve clearances, cleaned and reinstalled PAIR valve, cleaned and reinstalled throttle body with new flange o-rings, installed new spark plug... found a cracked hose we didn't notice during disassembly. Ordered new hose and waiting for it to arrive before continuing.

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #4227 on: May 19, 2020, 02:17:55 PM »
The Griso now has bar risers, new (Rizoma) bars, lowered footpegs, etc etc. It is nearly a comfortable bike. As  Cookie and others know, that engine is a stunner.

All it needs now is a way for me to be able to use the rear brake properly.

And a better seat. Which means memory foam.

I retire soon. Puppy willing (which could feck things up), road trip!

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #4228 on: May 19, 2020, 04:17:50 PM »

I hope you can get out for a trip.

This is my problem, too. Even if a road trip--or even just a dawn to dusk trip--could be fit in this season, my elderly pupper is starting to loose movement in his hind legs and needs me to carry him to and from his area of the yard.  He's also started to go in the house (fortunately, we have hard surface flooring almost everywhere). And "our" dog becomes "my" dog at these times.

So, between pandemic and doggo, I doubt a long trip is in my near future.   :'(

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R) ... Indian Scout (RIP)
« Reply #4229 on: May 19, 2020, 08:53:04 PM »
Got my 'US Veteran' tag in the mail
Put it on my Ninja
re-checked the tire pressures
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #4230 on: May 20, 2020, 12:43:40 PM »

This is my problem, too. Even if a road trip--or even just a dawn to dusk trip--could be fit in this season, my elderly pupper is starting to loose movement in his hind legs and needs me to carry him to and from his area of the yard.  He's also started to go in the house (fortunately, we have hard surface flooring almost everywhere). And "our" dog becomes "my" dog at these times.

Sorry to hear that. They always break your heart in the end.

My puppy has not actually been born yet.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #4231 on: May 20, 2020, 04:45:20 PM »

Sorry to hear that. They always break your heart in the end.

My puppy has not actually been born yet.

Thanks.  We've been here before, so we know what to watch for.  He's still enjoying life.

And a new pupper--that'll be a lot of fun work!

Online doc4216

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Roxy....R1200RS
« Reply #4232 on: May 20, 2020, 06:33:01 PM »
Swapped exhausts. First time for me. Got a steal on an Akropovic exhaust on my RS forum. It is lovely. Had to run errands on the island and I loved the new sound of my Roxy.

Stock-
https://youtu.be/NfmUXwaTUWs

Akro-
https://youtu.be/L2pyq7P22-4
A straight road never made a skilled rider.

Online doc4216

• Contributor
« Reply #4233 on: May 20, 2020, 06:37:41 PM »

Online Andrew

• Contributor
« Reply #4234 on: May 20, 2020, 11:13:40 PM »
Did ya make a movie with the muffler off?   ;D

"Loud pipes... " Oh never mind that is BS, I just wanted to hear it uncorked  :bigok:

Online doc4216

• Contributor
« Reply #4235 on: May 21, 2020, 09:28:18 AM »

"Loud pipes... " Oh never mind that is BS, I just wanted to hear it uncorked  :bigok:

I sure did!  ;D

https://youtu.be/UqFn1Lq3CK0

Offline Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
« Reply #4236 on: May 21, 2020, 11:19:01 AM »
I am disappoint.  No BRAAAAAP.
LT
Great googly-moogly!

Online doc4216

• Contributor
« Reply #4237 on: May 21, 2020, 11:47:10 AM »
It was loud and in the morning. I like and appreciate my neighbors so no bbrrappppp

Online melville

• Motorcycles: R75/6, Yamaha 850 (very) Special
« Reply #4238 on: May 21, 2020, 09:17:35 PM »
Washed it.  Also washed the BMW sportscar.  I'm taking one or the other to my sweetie's house tomorrow.  200ish miles to get there, including the entire length of CA Hwy 96.

Still undecided about Bimmer or Beemer.  Leaning toward the one that leans, though.  I'm taking the car in a couple weeks when I run up there with the older boy.

I'm moving there in a month, from South Jefferson to North Jefferson.  The older boy is probably moving with to continue his studies.  If the campus ever opens again.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.

Online Andrew

• Contributor
« Reply #4239 on: May 21, 2020, 11:08:26 PM »

I sure did!  ;D

https://youtu.be/UqFn1Lq3CK0

YAaaaa uhhh maybe a bit too loud  :crazy:

Offline ChrisFZ1

• This space for sale.
« Reply #4240 on: May 23, 2020, 01:46:26 PM »
Installed the Yamaha rear rack with the Givi universal monokey plate. The Givi plate bolted right up with no drilling or other issues.

Offline minimac

• Practicing Neanderthal, Nuclear Nomad
  • Motorcycles: GL1500A, Silverwing, ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶, Morphous
« Reply #4241 on: May 25, 2020, 09:50:43 AM »
Had to order yet another battery. That's the third in five years. I'm staying away from the cheap-o wally world ones from now on!
old enough to know better

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #4242 on: May 25, 2020, 01:05:05 PM »
Ms. Ninjette Noire needed a bath to look her very best, and she even seemed to giggle when I tickled her with the suds.   ;D

I've been using Turtle Wax's Zip-Wax, which is a mild car wash and light wax product in one application.  It seems to make it easier to remove bugs between washes.

Even though I have a Scottoiler, I still reapply chain lube after every wash. And I still occasionally give the chain a good scrub, but the fling from the Scottoiler seems to keep the chain somewhat cleaner than before I started using it.

I also washed the pedal bike and lubed it's chain.

Perhaps a ride this afternoon.   :)

« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 11:54:18 AM by Baxter »

Online radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
« Reply #4243 on: May 26, 2020, 06:48:44 AM »
Nothing really exciting.  But I did decide to finally retire the Zumo 550 and dismounted it.  I'm still not sure how I'll survive.  I'm going to feel lost with only the Nav V and Google Maps  :'(
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 07:01:02 AM by radon222 »

Online Patmo

• Motorcycles: 2007 FZ6, 2014 Ninja 650
« Reply #4244 on: May 26, 2020, 12:14:40 PM »
Replaced the clutch cable on my FZ6...what a PITA that was. 

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #4245 on: May 27, 2020, 06:32:34 PM »
Brake pads, air filter and sparkplugs for the Guzzi.
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

"I like the beverages."  -CLAY

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #4246 on: May 27, 2020, 08:34:53 PM »
Yesterday afternoon Ms. Noire and I were riding a two-lane in the far northern exurbs, just going with the flow, when her LCD screen blanked for about 20 or 30 seconds. The check engine and ABS lights came on when the other functions returned, but nothing else happened.  I guessed a random electric glitch, and turning the bike on and off made the ABS light go away but the check engine light was still on. So I took slow backroads home and spoke with my local Ninja store's service department today.

They said to check the electrical connection at the battery, and if it's loose, disconnect both pos and neg and reattach, and this should clear the check engine light.  Both terminal screws were tight. But I investigated further to find that the wires to the neg terminal seemed loose.  It turns out that I had cross threaded the nut the last time I added an electrical toy.  A trip to the hardware store found me a new hex nut that fit the bolt, but it didn't fit in the battery terminal without being filed down.  After following instructions, all connections are tight but the check engine light stayed on.

So, back to the interwebs go I, specifically to a forum for my particular bike where I remembered seeing a thread about this. It turns out that someone had posted the cheat codes which, when hitting an otherwise random set of buttons in a specific sequence, lets me pull up diagnostic codes on the LCD screen, and which also provides a specific sequence of actions necessary to clear a check engine light.  I'll try that approach tomorrow. 

I never thought that I would own a motorcycle that had software like a PlayStation game.   ;D

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #4247 on: May 30, 2020, 10:41:14 AM »
Washed it.  I think this might have been the first time with soap & chamois. 

That bike has more nooks & crannies than an English muffin; not something you notice when you hose it off & blow-dry it.
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.    Henry Ford

The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible,
but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #4248 on: June 11, 2020, 08:40:25 PM »
I installed and tested a new seat for my Kawasaki Ninja 400:  Norton Racing Supersport Seat – Kawasaki Ninja 400 / Z400.  https://www.norton-motorsports.com/product/norton-racing-supersport-seat-kawasaki-ninja-400/  It's approximately $250, but there's a $100 refund when the original seat is returned because they use the original to craft new seats.  They also make one for the Yamaha R3.

The stock seat on these smaller Ninjas is fairly hard and thin, and unforgiving over expansion bumps.  And while the suspension is better than the stock suspension was on my 2007 Ninja 650R, and would be up to North Dakota road standards (outside of the oil patch), it's not good enough in bumpy Wisconsin. 

The Norton seat is a lot cushier and about 1.5 inches higher than stock.  And it's level front-to-back which solves the stock seat's issue of pushing the rider into the tank.  Being short, I was concerned that it might take away one of the benefits of the Ninja 400, which is its low seat height. But it's brought the seat about as high as I remember my 2007 Ninja 650R, so it's not an issue for me.  The only negative so far is that the extra padding can create a feeling that I've shifted during harder maneuvers, but it's really just a little lateral give in the cushioning.

I took a test ride on some of the infernally bumpy roads here in Milwaukee, and it helped a lot. Normal to mediocre roads were comfy, and the rougher roads were gentled enough that even the sharper bumps that normally felt like they'd leave a bruise were tolerable.  I still feel the troglodytic suspension, but the ride is a lot better.  Possibly enough to avoid replacing the suspension.

I think that this seat will make short rides more enjoyable and longer trips less fatiguing than the stock seat.

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #4249 on: June 12, 2020, 04:30:50 AM »
Washed it.  I think this might have been the first time with soap & chamois. 

That bike has more nooks & crannies than an English muffin; not something you notice when you hose it off & blow-dry it.

I think you are referring to crumpet.