Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sidestand Nanny  (Read 157 times)

Guy, Mustang and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
Sidestand Nanny
« on: July 02, 2020, 09:47:37 AM »
I've been having some intermittent starting problems.  It would start to turn over, then stop... or hitting the starter did nothing.  Voltage on the battery is good and its only a couple years.  Discovered that if I jiggled the sidestand with my foot, the bike would start.   

I've hit with it some electronics cleaner and will see if that clears up the problem.  If not I'll have to decide whether to replace it or delete it with a jumper.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
Re: Sidestand Nanny
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 09:58:58 AM »
Might just be some goo in the plunger.  Like so many things in life, lube makes it better.  Use a real lube tho.  Just like the chain, WD 40 or other similar types will attract and store more muck and goo that will inhibit the plunging. 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online radon222

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 10:04:17 AM »
Of course BMW has to be different.  They use a rotational switch that mounts at the top of the stand stand, and opens/closes the circuit as it spins.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R) ... Indian Scout (RIP)
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 11:21:19 AM »
Of course BMW has to be different.  They use a rotational switch that mounts at the top of the stand stand, and opens/closes the circuit as it spins.

<Spock voice> Fascinating </Spock voice>
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 11:26:48 AM »
Betcha it works better till it doesn’t.  :augie:
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.    Henry Ford

The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible,
but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Offline Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 11:51:31 AM »
My Rex was suffering from this issue last season, and after trying to clean the (admittedly more standard style) switch 3 times, I finally just jumpered it. I understand WHY they put it on, but I thoroughly feel that anybody that can't remember (or cope with the consequences of learning to remember) to pick up their sidestand shouldn't be riding a 500lb liter bike.

That said, I can't tell you how many times over the years I nicked the sidestand up after pulling away with it down. Leaves enough of a stain in your shorts that I haven't done it once since jumpering this bike last year.

YMMV
LT
Great googly-moogly!

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 12:11:28 PM »
I understand WHY they put it on, but I thoroughly feel that anybody that can't remember (or cope with the consequences of learning to remember) to pick up their sidestand shouldn't be riding a 500lb liter bike.

That said, I can't tell you how many times over the years I nicked the sidestand up after pulling away with it down. Leaves enough of a stain in your shorts that I haven't done it once since jumpering this bike last year.

YMMV
LT

I've never left a sidestand down.  I thought the purpose was to shut off the engine when you park.  That's the only way I've ever done it.

Online radon222

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 12:12:40 PM »
I understand WHY they put it on, but I thoroughly feel that anybody that can't remember (or cope with the consequences of learning to remember) to pick up their sidestand shouldn't be riding a 500lb liter bike.

YMMV
LT

I've never left a sidestand down.  I thought the purpose was to shut off the engine when you park. That's the only way I've ever done it.

That's my biggest use for it too. 

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 01:18:25 PM »

<Spock voice> Fascinating </Spock voice>

What he said.  Belay my last.  I know not.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2020, 01:37:48 PM »

YMMV
LT

I've never left a sidestand down.  I thought the purpose was to shut off the engine when you park.  That's the only way I've ever done it.

:rolf: :clap: :facepalm:
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  --Douglas Adams

Online melville

• Motorcycles: R75/6, Yamaha 850 (very) Special
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2020, 09:25:08 PM »
Wait, there's electric stuff on the sidestand on that modern stuff?

Mine is supposed to sproing up as soon as you pick the bike up.  But 45 years in, it usually stays down and can be a challenge to reach under the cylinder with a booted toe.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.

Online Smoothie

• Motorcycles: 2019 Speed Twin, 2018 Bonneville, 2005 Tuono Racing
Sidestand Nanny
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 10:42:44 AM »
“Sidestand Nanny” sounds like a rockabilly band based out of Austin.     :bigsmile:
Putting Ducati back into education.

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
  • Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 12:23:01 PM »
Wait, there's electric stuff on the sidestand on that modern stuff?

Modern? My 2000 KLR had that stupid switch. And it failed me in the middle of the forest near Mt Rainier. When I finally jiggled it "just right" so I could start the bike, I rode home and the first thing I did was to bypass it  :bash:
www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!