Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Holy crap- nearly bit it today. Lesson learned about my gut and maintenance.  (Read 6878 times)

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
So I changed the oil on the Bandit last week. While tightening the drain plug, it felt "funny". It seemed to thread fine, but something wasn't right. Usually I ALWAYS listen to that voice and investigate, but this time I didn't. Mistake #1.

So this afternoon I head to an open house. I get there, things are good, I go to leave and see a few drips on the ground under the bike. I make a mental note to check it when I get home. Mistake #2.

On the way home I turn on to Chicago Drive (a local rural highway) and hit it. Things are good as I accelerate away, but suddenly the rear end slides out, I recover, but it gets SUPER squirrely. Instantly I think of the drain plug. I wail on the front brake which alleviates the rear end sway and bring it to a stop in a turn around. I kept it up on two wheels and killed the engine as soon as I could safely do so, so the motor is fine. I get stopped and watch as a couple quarts of dead dinosaur pour from my now missing drain plug. Suck.
Here's video of my path- I shot it as I pulled up with the truck.  Right at the beginning you can see how much the rear end was sliding:

Where I stopped:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

It's not supposed to look like that:

I'm pretty sure I'll get the last bits of my seat out of my butt from clenching at some point.
Moral of the story: Go with your gut. ALWAYS.

Tomorrow I'll pick up and rethread a replacement.  I spent about an hour scrubbing the rear tire with bleach-white once I was home.  After I get it sorted out tomorrow I plan to back into the backyard and do a few burnouts in the sand to further scour the rear tire.  Any more ideas? 

Luckily Meemuh lived only a mile and a half up the road.  I caught a ride to his house and took his KLR home, then brought it back on the trailer and grabbed the Bandit.  So far it turned out OK.  Lesson learned!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 06:58:12 AM by CLAY »
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
You're a lucky guy.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
One thing I learned a long time ago:  I'd rather be lucky than good any day of the week.   :thumbsup:

Lucky, but stupid.   :facepalm:
Let's do some science.

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
I'm willing to bet Clay's out in the barn drinking all his home brew rite now.
At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday

Offline misanthropist

• Motorcycles: Griso, GSXR, and projects
Well, on the bright side, if the most you paid for the lesson "always trust your gut" is the cost of an oil change and maybe rear tire...that makes it what, maybe a $225 lesson, $250 worst case scenario?

Some people learn that lesson by colliding with a car they totally knew was going to turn at the worst possible time.  How much does that cost?

A $250 bill for a quality lesson is a pretty cheap lesson IMO.  Even though that sucks.
Support 12-5

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
I'm willing to bet Clay's out in the barn drinking all his home brew rite now.

That's okay, he's still got two weeks (almost) to make more. :snork:
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

"I like the beverages."  -CLAY

Offline bluepoof

• bluepoof.com
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250
Holy shit!  Glad you're OK!

Offline Jim

• Contributor
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Offline BMW-K

• Contributor
  • The Original ER6i Pimp
  • Motorcycles: F800GS, 765 RS, WR250R
glad things turned out ok for you.  Oil gets messy.
IBA #:  20880
Damn.  Was that really a good idea?

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
I had a similar experience when I failed to notice the gasket from the old filter stuck to the bottom of the engine case. The double gasket didn't seal well and I spewed a couple quarts of Mobil 1 over my back tire.

Lesson learned: doing maintenance in a poorly lit garage the night before a ride isn't a good idea.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
Lesson learned: doing maintenance in a poorly lit garage the night before a ride isn't a good idea.

Sadly, I think many of us have learned that particular lesson in one way or another...  :'(

Glad this turned out ok.

Clay, is the plug stripped out now? Do you have to do some thread/heli-coil work? Or maybe a weld/drill/tap repair?

this signature on hold pending review

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
Also, in the pic below, what's going on in the tire? Is that just a stone in the tread, or is there a puncture to deal with, too?

(by the way, simple green or some foamy engine cleaner, and hose off that tire and you're fine)

this signature on hold pending review

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
(by the way, simple green or some foamy engine cleaner, and hose off that tire and you're fine)

That's what I used to clean off my rear tire.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
Glad you're okay.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MytoUEKcU4g

This video is private.

Glad it turned out "right" for ya.

Fixed.
Let's do some science.

Offline st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie

"If you don't learn something new every day, your probably dead".

It could have been much worse, glad your OK..
She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
Also, in the pic below, what's going on in the tire? Is that just a stone in the tread, or is there a puncture to deal with, too?

Just a small stone in the tread.  The tire is fine other than the oil.  When I pick up more oil today I'll grab some degreaser AND simple green.   :thumbsup:

There is plenty of metal around the current drain hole.  When a buddy stripped an oil plug on his B6 he went to an auto store- they have self-tapping replacements that rethread into the aluminum.  Of course I'll have to flush it once the new plug is tapped, but his was fine for many years/miles.   :thumbsup:
Let's do some science.

Online ixxion

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Mucho CBR1100XX
(okay I'm a jerk....thread hijack!)

I learned about this one a long, long time ago. 

On my way to high school one chilly autumn morning, a lovely curvy road followed by a half mile long straight with a passing zone at the top of the hill, a little jag, the straight past the school, then the turn-in.  You HAD to get past the buses on that straight or you would be sitting behind them as they unloaded until you could get to the parking lot turn off.  We're talking 8-10 buses in a convoy.

So we're on the straight and I'm tucked in and pinned.  Bike seems to bog down a bit.  Didn't feel right going around the jag, and it stalls out as I'm decelerating in front of the school.  Eased the clutch out and it doesn't catch...too much compression, what the hell did I trash the transmission and now I'm in 1st gear?  I have enough momentum to make the parking lot, so I pull the clutch in and hit the turn-in...a 270 turn there goes the rear wheel and all my dirt experience comes back to me as I'm flat-tracking a 525 pound CB550 with freaking upside clubman bars.  I didn't have Wheaties that morning but should have.   Coasted into the first spot I find, set the centerstand, and damn near dump the thing on me.  The bike and I are COVERED in a fine sheen of Castrol GT.  Fawwwwwwk.   Quick diagnosis reveals that the clamps holding the hoses onto the aftermarket oil cooler just didn't feel up to the task of sustained high rpm on a 40 degree morning.  And it was also seized up solid.  Luckily I had my full suit on...dumped that in the trash and nabbed my gym sneaks before class.   Took two days to get that bike running, and just one more to trade it in on an XL175.   

Okay, back to Clay's thread.....   

Online Wesley

• Motorcycles: Yes
At least your chain is now lubed.  But seriously, glad you're okay.   :)

Offline Dan K

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '10 VFR 1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
Never fun. Glad you're ok and nice recovery. Second what Chornbe says about the tire - no need to replace.

- Dan
Sometimes, the only answer is defenestration.

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
Phew. Glad you're still with us...now, did I tell you about the time a tyre came off the rim on a tight right hander next to a 300 foot drop?
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
Clay, I'm thinking all the cats in your neighbor hood got together and plotted your demise by loosening the drain plug.
At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
Sounds legit.

Sent from the Moto X. A wicked awesome phone.

“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

― Frank Zappa

Offline stew71

• Contributor
  • Hey...don't act like you're not impressed.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Triumph Tiger
Holy shit.  :o

Glad you made it out alive, Clay.  :thumbsup:
With enough thrust, a pig flies just fine.

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
PR3s....also good in oil.   :bigsmile:

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
For those of us who do our own oil changes, is this preventable or is it an inevitable endpoint for Aluminum oil pans?

Offline open sore

• Motorcycles: 2014 Kawasaki ZR1000, 2001 Yamaha XV16AT, 1994 Kawi ZX11
For those of us who do our own oil changes, is this preventable or is it an inevitable endpoint for Aluminum oil pans?

I do not believe it is inevitable.  I always make sure to replace the washer each oil change and I always use a torque wrench.  When I was younger I just went by feel, and probably went too tight a number of times.  With the torque wrench I know I'm going tight enough without damaging the threads in the oil pan.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR

I do not believe it is inevitable.  I always make sure to replace the washer each oil change and I always use a torque wrench.  When I was younger I just went by feel, and probably went too tight a number of times.  With the torque wrench I know I'm going tight enough without damaging the threads in the oil pan.

+1

Always use a torque wrench.

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Dan K

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '10 VFR 1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
Have yet to use a torque wrench on any of the bikes that have passed through my garage, likely because I don't own one.

Maybe I should buy one...

- Dan
Sometimes, the only answer is defenestration.

Online Meemuh

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '91 Nighthawk.
Don't know that I would try a Harbor Freight special when it comes to torque wrenches - I've heard bad things about the accuracy of even mid-grade torque wrenches...although you can always find somebody with a horror story about anything.  I just don't think that a torque wrench is fail-safe, either.  I think gut instinct is still worth listening to.

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
The HF ones seem to get decent reviews.

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
A buddy (919 from .N) checked his HF Torque wrench against his high end one. They were equal. I use mine for everything.

Chorbe is Bubbles is Donkey Balls is......

“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

― Frank Zappa

Offline open sore

Don't know that I would try a Harbor Freight special when it comes to torque wrenches - I've heard bad things about the accuracy of even mid-grade torque wrenches...although you can always find somebody with a horror story about anything.  I just don't think that a torque wrench is fail-safe, either.  I think gut instinct is still worth listening to.

Agreed, don't ignore a gut feeling.  But a torque wrench is probably better than the old German spec of 'guedentite', especially after numerous oil changes.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
Thing is- I have a torque wrench too.  I will be using it for oil changes from now on.   :crazy:
Let's do some science.

Offline open sore

Thing is- I have a torque wrench too.  I will be using it for oil changes from now on.   :crazy:
I would read through the install instructions of the repair kit to see if they list a torque spec for the new drain plug rather than the factory spec for the original.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
Already done. 
Let's do some science.

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.,Kona NuNu
I hope you called and reported the spill to the Roads dept., so some other biker-dude doesn't post a lesson learned.  :redface:
Good lesson, great post.
"We have constructed pyramids, in honour of our escaping." - Jim Morrison

”And the music was good, and the music was loud, and the singer he turned and he said to the crowd, LET THERE BE ROCK!”