Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Coolant Reservoir  (Read 1665 times)

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
Coolant Reservoir
« on: June 08, 2014, 08:06:15 PM »
When putting the 'busa back together, I noticed a crack in the plastic coolant tank. About 1.5" long or so down towards the bottom. I pressed it just to be sure it was a crack and not just a bit of plastic flashing or something and the whole are crumbled around my finger. About the size of a golf ball.

Checking on line only finds the tanks available on ebay. I have no problem with ebay in general but I would like the tank before next Saturday's trip. I'll be contacting the local bike place to see if I can get a replacement by Friday (generally they're pretty quick but it'll depend on the tank availability).

Also, I found the rear seat release cable (the short piece between the mechanism and the key) has broken the end off that holds it in the mechanism. I'll have to see if they can get that as well.

On the plus side, I have the tire, chain, sprockets, rear brakes, rear brake fluid, clutch fluid, oil filter, and oil changed. Waiting on front brakes to change them out (plus the fluid). Then some power checks to make sure things are working and away we go.

Carl
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 No matter where you go, there you are.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
Re: Coolant Reservoir
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 08:12:20 PM »
Amazing there wasn't some kind of seepage before.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 08:15:56 PM »
There may have been. You have to remove the side in order to get to the tank. Whenever I'd check it, it'd be low or out but I figure it's an overflow tank. It may not necessarily have any fluid in it at any one time.

Carl

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 08:53:19 PM »
C-14 for the repair.

As for the res tank - I wouldn't worry about it. Just check, and if needed, top off the radiator every morning (azzuming it's easy to access). You might find you don't need any coolant added each day.
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 06:38:50 AM »
In a pinch, plastic milk jugs are a similar material. Cut off a piece for a patch along with a couple of strips, and pretend your soldering iron with the flat spoon tip is a welder.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 09:00:01 AM »
Thanks. It just so happens I have an extra jug this morning so I'll give that a try. I'll call the dealer tomorrow anyway to see what the timeframe is on getting a replacement but yea, that'll do in a pinch.

Carl