Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Big Milestone. I Must Share  (Read 4771 times)

Online R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
Big Milestone. I Must Share
« on: June 07, 2014, 10:05:49 AM »
It's been nearly 18 months now of Ural ownership.  The main engine break-in occurred late last fall.  That meant we could start pushing the motor and ride on mountain roads.  Yea!

But, the major milestone for me has been getting comfortable riding the rig and feeling somewhat in control.  Sure, the chair pulls the rig to the left with accelerating and pushes it to the right when braking.  Those two nuances have become automatic muscle memory for me.  No biggie.

My biggest fear has always been the fact the chair wants to come off the ground in right-hand corners.  This is especially true when the chair is empty (no ballast).  I have adapted the habit of moving my arse over towards the chair in right hand corners to help weight that side when corning.  What I've not been comfortable with is how to steer the rig once (and if) the outside wheel becomes airborne. 

I've been practicing it a lot lately!  The good news is, I have now successfully steered the rig in a right hand corner at speed with oncoming traffic on several occasions!  Granted, this was done internally by me lifting the chair and not done in a "pucker oh-shit the chair just came up moment."  But, that's why I'm practicing.  I want to develop the muscle memory should that ever happen.

Once the chair is up, you can steer it just like a motorcycle with counter steering.  So, once the chair is up in a right hand corner and I want to continue going right, I just apply a little counter steering and the rig goes right!  This also means I'm getting comfortable riding with the chair up.  They say this is a quintessential skill of riding a hack.

While I'm not comfortable doing this all the time, I am beginning to get the hang of it. 

Whoot!   :chili:

This is what I'm talking about (expect it's a bit more difficult in right handers)

Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
Re: Big Milestone. I Must Share
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 10:16:07 AM »
That guy is pretty good.

I think.  :shrug:
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 10:39:41 AM »
Doug, this will be you soon:

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Online R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 11:16:10 AM »
Wow.

:o  :eek:

Online R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 09:34:16 AM »
I don’t believe I stated the significance of this skill.  Most accidents I’ve read about and have been told about on hacks involve right hand corners.  Folks have the chair start to come up on them unexpectedly, the rig starts to push left into the oncoming lane, and the potential to end your ride (and even your life) increases geometrically. 

Now that I’m starting to learn how to react when the chair comes up (i.e. counter steer to continue going right), I’m hoping I don’t panic if the chair should rise on me unexpectedly and I do the right thing. 

The timing of this is good since Sheri and I leave this Saturday for a week long journey on the Ural.  I can’t wait.  This will not only be our first multi-day trip on the Ural, this will be my first motorcycle trip with my wife. 

Our first Ural ride report will follow! 

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 10:41:39 AM »
:clap:

This is so great. I can see why you would want to take the Ural and go with Sheri somewhere rather than meet those weirdos at Clay's BBQ.

:couch:
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Online R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 10:42:43 AM »
:clap:

This is so great. I can see why you would want to take the Ural and go with Sheri somewhere rather than meet those weirdos at Clay's BBQ.

:rolf:

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 11:11:48 AM »
Do you usually have something in the sidecar to weigh it down when you're riding solo?  For some reason I thought that was SOP.

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 11:22:09 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

― Frank Zappa

Online R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 11:46:02 AM »
Do you usually have something in the sidecar to weigh it down when you're riding solo?  For some reason I thought that was SOP.

It's SOP for rookies.  Veteran hack riders go with no ballast! 

How's the saying go???  "Amateurs practice to do it right, professionals practice until they get it wrong." 

:lol:

Offline Dan K

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '10 VFR 1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 11:49:36 AM »
I don’t believe I stated the significance of this skill.  Most accidents I’ve read about and have been told about on hacks involve right hand corners.  Folks have the chair start to come up on them unexpectedly, the rig starts to push left into the oncoming lane, and the potential to end your ride (and even your life) increases geometrically. 

Now that I’m starting to learn how to react when the chair comes up (i.e. counter steer to continue going right), I’m hoping I don’t panic if the chair should rise on me unexpectedly and I do the right thing. 

The timing of this is good since Sheri and I leave this Saturday for a week long journey on the Ural.  I can’t wait.  This will not only be our first multi-day trip on the Ural, this will be my first motorcycle trip with my wife. 

Our first Ural ride report will follow!

Won't this cause the bike to go left as soon as the car touches down again (removing countersteering from the picture)? Need to be ready to change the front wheel direction as soon as you are on three wheels again, right?

Haven't really thought this through, but that was my initial response...

Glad you're getting comfortable - sidecar rig may be the only way to get my wife on the bike...

_Dan
Sometimes, the only answer is defenestration.

Online R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 11:54:48 AM »
Won't this cause the bike to go left as soon as the car touches down again (removing countersteering from the picture)?

Need to be ready to change the front wheel direction as soon as you are on three wheels again, right?

Good question.  Turning left can force the chair back down to the ground.  You have to balance the chair when countersteering which is why I feel it's such a milestone for me to have finally accomplished. 

Glad you're getting comfortable - sidecar rig may be the only way to get my wife on the bike...

_Dan

This is the case for my wife.  I've explained to her that riding pillion on a back of a bike is about 2X more safe then riding monkey in a sidecar.  She realizes her fear to ride on the back of a bike is irrational. 

Regardless, she LOVEs spending time in the sidecar.   :D

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 12:35:13 PM »
When I had my series of Cossacks/ Urals, I used to put a large toolbox in the chair. Not only for ballast but also cause I needn't the tools.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Online R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2014, 12:56:41 PM »
:lol:

The Ural does come with a very complete and large toolkit.  I also carry a siccor jack in case I need to remove one of the rear wheels. 

In addition to those items, a lot of people recommend placing a bag of sand, kitty litter, or gravel in the floor of the sidecar for add'l ballast.  I like going at it alone for practice. 

Online kendenton

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '15 Aprilia Caponord
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2014, 03:28:34 PM »
I like going at it alone for practice.

:rolf:
IBA #37902

Online R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2014, 03:52:01 PM »
 :shahthread:

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2014, 10:23:24 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The only thing missing is a umbrella.
At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday

Online R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2014, 07:00:16 AM »

The only thing missing is a umbrella.

Or windshield wipers running.

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 08:35:24 PM »
You know how we do it here...

:needpics:

8):wave:
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  
João Zilhão on the Assimilation Model of Human Origin

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh