Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Zumo 550/GXM30 Issues.  (Read 1611 times)

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
Zumo 550/GXM30 Issues.
« on: June 04, 2014, 07:06:18 AM »
I know, first-world problems and all...

Last year my XM radio started going out, losing a signal, then giving me a "check antenna" error. The connector always looked like the week link, I never thought a super-mini USB connector would be a good idea when subjected to conditions a motorcycle get subjected to. At the end of last year I siliconed it to seal it. After removing it for the winter to use in my Jeep, I reinstalled it, but it would only work for 5-10 minutes before giving the check antenna error. I cleaned the connections, tried all sort of pre-load fixes, but I eventually said "screw it," and bought a new-used antenna. Worked great for a day, then gave the error.

So I figured it must be the cradle. I bought a new one, and installed it. Seemed like a lot of play in the connector, but the old one was like that when it was new. Worked for 2 days. Check antenna.  >:(

Not sure what to do now, I am thinking that now that I have an extra antenna and cradle, maybe I can disassemble the cradle, cut off the connector on the antenna, and just solder it directly.

Anyone else have this issue? Use something other than the GXM30 antenna? Is it possibly the Zumo550 itself? My google search showed some others having this issue but no real solutions.

I would really hate to just buy another separate radio, as they are not waterproof, and I like it being interrupted for turn by turn directions when riding so I don't have to play around with a mixer or manually switching.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
Re: Zumo 550/GXM30 Issues.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 10:03:43 AM »

Anyone actually says that to you, kick 'em in the jimmies. I hate that crap. A problem is still a problem. It's your money.

Beyond that, I have no other advice. :\
this signature on hold pending review

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
Re: Zumo 550/GXM30 Issues.
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 10:09:08 AM »

Anyone actually says that to you, kick 'em in the jimmies. I hate that crap. A problem is still a problem. It's your money.

Beyond that, I have no other advice. :\

I know, but I was feeling rather spoiled/blessed, and it isn't a huge problem compared to others, but it is a lot of money-especially what all the 'fixes' cost.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?