Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Any other restorers?  (Read 5413 times)

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
Any other restorers?
« on: December 09, 2013, 08:36:28 PM »
My restoring has slowed down with my kids being the ages they are- I have a 1975 XS650 I have been working on for a year and a half at least (maybe 2 now?).  I have done I think 4 XS650's, a GS1100, a Goldwing, a CB750F, a Kawasaki CSR305, a Honda CB200, a 650 Maxim, among a few others.  The GS1100 was resurrected from serious disrepair.  I have turned a profit on all of them, but if I count my time on a couple (the GS for instance) I was probably making less than minimum wage.  I have pics of most of them if anyone is interested.

Anyone else?
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline Spanky

• Contributor
  • Dogs get it
  • Motorcycles: Kawasaki C-14
Re: Any other restorers?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 08:39:34 PM »
I would like to see the pics. I restore the tires to their optimal air pressure before I ride, that is about as far as my restoration skills go.

Online Meemuh

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '91 Nighthawk.
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 08:44:01 PM »
Someday......

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 08:53:43 PM »
I would love to do something like that some day but i just wouldn't  know where to start.
At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »
I'll need to dig a few up and upload them.  Some are just repairs and cleanups, some are real restorations.  For now this is a 77 Standard XS650 I brought back.  I bought it in a bunch of boxes and a rolling frame:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

A chopper I built out of a couple different bikes/parts.  The frame cam from Canada, I got the engine from a guy in Rockford, IL, and pieced it toegther.  I rode it for awhile until I built the Tracker, then I sold it to a guy in Iowa:

This was an 82 Heritage Special- when I got it from a dude in Detroit it was in bad shape- blown engine, etc.  The picture doesn't really do it justice.  Rust all over, oxidation on the aluminum bits, rusty gas tank inside.  I had to de-rust the inside of the tank (used electrolysis), remove the oxidation and polish the engine bits.  The rims and spokes were horrible, paint was bad.  I had to repaint everything, remove rust from chrome bits or get some new ones:

I rebuilt the engine, cleaned up the spokes and rims (which actually were decent once cleaned up), and repainted everything.  They called them the "million spoke rims".  I traded a guy in Ohion this for the '97 XR650L I currently have.  I still miss this bike- those Heritage Special spoke rims were awesome:

Of course the Tracker.  I'll have to dig up the rest and upload them to Photobucket.  These are the only ones I have on there right now.  The other ones were on my old website...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 06:15:24 AM by CLAY »
Let's do some science.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 10:00:38 PM »
Found the CB750K.  It was dirty and dusty, but the paint was in decent shape.  It had sat for about 15 years in a barn.  Rims and spokes were in tough shape, but they came back.  I also got a new seat cover/backrest.  The exhaust had to be massively cleaned up/redone.  The guy I sold it to entered it in a couple of vintage bike shows, but I don't know how he did.  It purred like a kitten.  I needed to clean her up, redo the carbs, and have a stator/rotor rebuilt.  She was a peach, but a BEAST:

This was a neglected 83 (I think?) Shadow I bought.  It quit charging, so the dud let it sit for about 15 years.  This one was in decent shape- I had to fix the charging issue and clean it up:

« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 06:16:53 AM by CLAY »
Let's do some science.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 10:35:40 PM »
This one has a story.
My wife has two brothers.  Brother #1, two years younger than her, and brother #2, 8 years younger.
BIL #1 buys this '75 CB200T when he is 16.  He bought it from an old lady- her husband had died, and they had a matched set- they kept them in their downstairs living room.  It was in perfect- and I mean PERFECT condition.  Mint.  He rides it for a couple years, then goes to college.  He needs money, so my father-in-law buys it from him.  Understand my father-in-law doesn't ride- he was just helping him out.
He proceeds to take the bike and store it in the "family" barn, where it sits for 15 years, uncovered.  Finally grandma moves off of the farm and they need to clean out the barn.  I see this thing and I am heartbroken.  Covered in dirt, pigeon shit, tires flat, spokes with surface rust, rims with surface rust, tank with some spotty rust, one sidecover had fallen off and someone stepped on it- SMASH, gone.  Anyway, we take it to the father-in-law's barn where I vow to restore it one of these days.

Finally a couple years later I have some time and pick it up.  I spend I have no idea how many hours on it- polishing spokes, removing rust, cleaning carbs and carb kit, readjusting the timing, new battery, polish the headlight, you name it- I brought it back.  Kept a search on eBay for a couple years till I finally found the right matching side cover.  These are not common bikes and stock decent parts are rare.  Not perfect anymore (rust residue here and there), but REALLY nice (a few on here can attest to it having seen it here at the BBQ).  I ride it once a week or so, and just enjoy it.  I bring it back to my father-in-law, and he is overjoyed.  BIL #1 speaks of how it has never run that well before.  Every time I am at the inlaws I take it out for a spin.

BIL#2 (the younger) decides he is going to take it to his house for a few buddies to take the motorcycle riding test on.  They all ride Harleys and can't pass the test on them, so they use this little CB200T to pass the test.  Whatever.  Anyway, he keeps the bike at his house in his barn.  I think about it now and then, but mostly don't.

Fast forward a few years.  We need a small, old motorcycle for a play at school- I know just the bike!  I ask father-in-law, he says BIL#2 still has it.  I call him and go to pick it up.  Flat tires, covered in dirt and dust, non-running, battery shot, rust starting again.  That pisses me off.  So, I bring it back, clean it up, get a new battery (again), go through the same stuff again, and make it look and run nice.  I figure since no one takes care of it I'm going to hang on to it and ride it around a little so it stays in nice shape.  At dinner one Sunday, BIL #2 asks about it.  My dear wife says "I'm not sure Clay is going to be too willing to give it back after he has fixed it up twice now."  He gets pissed.  Claim's it's "their" bike (which it actually is).  Father-in-law eventually says "Think you could bring that thing back to me?"  I say "Sure."  I want to keep the peace, and it still actually is HIS bike.  I bring it back there.

A few weeks later BIL#2 says at a family dinner:  "Dad- I registered the CB200 in my name and got vintage plates for it- it was just easier to put it right in my name."  At that point I'm done.  He claims he's going to ride and care for it.  Cool, but I doubt it.  I borrowed it back this summer for awhile (had a friend from New York come out- he has the same bike and we went riding).  He has put zero miles on it.  The tank is starting to rust out from being stored empty.  There's a few other issues that are going to crop up as it sits.  Eventually he'll probably ask me to fix it.

My response will be "I'll fix it if you put it in my name."  He will refuse, and it will die.

Lesson learned.

Here's the bike:

Let's do some science.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 10:36:11 PM »
More later.  Time for bed.
Let's do some science.

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 03:36:28 AM »
I've rebuilt a Velocette Venom and a Norton Atlas. No pics, I'm afraid-film cost money back then.

Oh, I've also "restored" several Cossacks/ Urals/ Nevals/ Dneprs-when an engine blew up, I'd take the engoine out of another and fit it.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Offline JonS

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Tuono, 2014 Triumph Street Triple R
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 06:46:05 AM »

This to this-

After spending 2 years under a car port, the bike really needed help.
You can't avoid aging, but you don't have to get old.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 07:58:19 AM »
Gorgeous!   :inlove:
Let's do some science.

Offline tyrroneous

• Motorcycles: Daytona 675, SV650 (wifes) and some dirt bikes.
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 08:00:33 AM »
That story about the CB200T is like  :) >:( :( :) >:( :(

My first bike was '75 CB200T.  It had been sitting in a shed for 10 years.  An old lady sold it to me for $100 (this was back in '93) and said if I couldn't get it running that she would give me my money back.  My dad and I cleaned the carbs, installed a new battery, repaired the start switch and she fired right up!  I restored it as well as a high school kid is probably gonna do, which meant I painted the 70's orange tank and side covers red and put black duct tape on the seat to hide the torn vinyl.  Rode the bike my junior and senior years of high school and my freshmen year of college and then sold it to help fund my mission trip to South Africa.  Sure wish I still had that bike.  I loved riding it.

Offline MrsCablebandit

• Purveyor of Cookies.org
    • Pineapple Ponderings
  • Motorcycles: '10 C14 Passenger
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 08:09:40 AM »
I would like to see the pics. I restore the tires to their optimal air pressure before I ride, that is about as far as my restoration skills go.

Go to the BBQ in June. See them in person!
I used to make a bigger impression.

http://pineappleponderings.blogspot.com/ - Ride reports and other musings.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 08:22:48 PM »
This is a Suzuki GS1000G.  It wqs parked outside behind a barn under an overhang for about 5 years.  I pulled it out, sprayed it down and did a little cleanup before I took these pictures:

The carbs were horrible, the tank had a big ding in it, the wheels were oxidized.  Scratches in the luggage and fairing.  I did a repaint, and hours of cleanup work, went through the engine, new seat cover:

The thing was scary fast for an older bike, but man, what a pig.  The luggage was sweet.  I think I drove it for a year or so before selling it.
Let's do some science.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 08:39:34 PM »
This one might have been my biggest restore-from-gone until the '75 XS650 I am currently working on.  I didn't document well back then- I should have had more actual "before" pics.  The first pics I have are after I washed it and put on a new seat cover and ran it for a bit.  This was one of my first restores.  It came from a guy in Rockford, IL.  Got it for nearly nothing, but man was it in rough shape.  Imagine the red with a seat full of holes, covered in grime, scratches and dings in the tank, with any aluminum surface covered in a granular, powdery, dusty layer of corrosion.  Post paint, rust-removal (the inside of the tank was horrible, but the tank was still solid- again I used electrolysis to clean it), and polishing.  Thh rimes were even corroded and faded.  They had to be stripped and repainted.

Engine pre-cleaning (yes, it ran!):

It ran really nice, but was a bit cold-blooded.  I kept it for two or three years before selling it.  Some days I wish I had that one back.  She was a good machine- and shaft drive was awesome. 
Let's do some science.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 08:46:20 PM »
This Goldwing I got from a buddy- he bought it with intentions of fixing it up and got into money trouble- I bought it off him to help him out.  The engine and carbs really just needed a good going-through- he had polished up most bits.

One thing that always amazed me was how much better the Goldwing handled than the CB750 or the GS1000.  With that boxer-engine mounted low, it had a low COG and never felt big.  I DO wish I had kept it and cafe'd it.  It would have been a real head-turner.  As it was I sold it after a year or so of riding it.

There were more projects which I either never documented or lost files for.  It's a blast- obviously you can tell the ones I like- 70-80's Jap machines.  Most have a good aftermarket and parts can be had.

Give it a try.  You find one, pick away at it, and enjoy the rewards when it's done.  Don't approach it as a money-making venture though- any profits will be small if you value your time.  I do it because it's a puzzle to me- figure out whats wrong, fix it, and get anothe bike on the road.   :bigok:

That's all I have.   :thumbsup:
Let's do some science.

Offline Spanky

• Contributor
  • Dogs get it
  • Motorcycles: Kawasaki C-14
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 10:42:29 PM »
Nice pics. Big difference in the before and after shots. That had to be a ton of work on your part. Did you replace the rusted parts or just clean them? I like the 82 Heritage Special after it was restored, that was a nice looking bike.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 06:12:05 AM »
Thanks!  It depends on the part and how much rust is on it.  If it's just a little surface rust usually it can come off and the part still looks good.  If I can find replacement, that's the direction if it doesn't look so good.  If it's rough and there's no replacement part, then hitting it with the harcore scotchbrite pad will remove the rust and scuff it up enough so that paint will stick, and it can get painted.  So, it depends on how bad and what it is usually.

I'm glad I got the XR650 instead of the 82 Heritage Special, but I LOVE those spoked rims. 
Let's do some science.

Offline phoenix

• Motorcycles: CBR600RR, KX250F
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 06:42:20 AM »
I've been window shopping a lot in the past 6 months for a fun project. Don't want it to be a total basket case, I would prefer to spend more time riding than wrenching. Sadly the vast majority of bikes for sale fall into 2 categories
1. doesn't run, no idea why, looks like it is worth more in scrap metal. Oh yeah, and no title.
2. partially restored 30 year old bike, asking price about 3X or 4X what I think it should be worth

I'm still looking. I was the top bidder on a recent ebay action, with a closing bid at $260. The seller wanted $700 or so, and it needs a ton of work. Screw you. That, and I have several other unfinished projects around the house. Working on making some furniture out of some bowling alley wood too.

Offline Moto Morphin Power Ranger

• Ottenere una moto vera
  • Motorcycles: 2009 Moto-Guzzi Griso 8V, 1978 Yamaha XS1100
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 06:43:46 AM »
I have a 1978 yamaha xs11 that is the 1st bike that i bought. I live in a townhome with no garage, so she waits. i love seeing resto projects. I hope this year i get a garage to put her in.

The humiliation I suffered that day will not go unpunished. My pain is the bubbling cauldron of molten steel that will forge the saber of your demise. I shall not be denied my vengeance Haa Ha Ha HaaHa Ha Ha Ha

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2013, 07:00:16 AM »
I have done a few in the past, including some vintage MX bikes (plastic for those is tough to find, but I like vintage replacement stuff like Preston Petty Products). I have been thinking about doing another, and I have a line on a 73 Yamaha TX500 that has been drained and stored in a nice heated basement for 30 years. If I can get my kitchen finished, I may pursue it.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?