Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rapid City to Durango  (Read 2219 times)

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
Rapid City to Durango
« on: May 27, 2014, 10:17:50 AM »
Heading to Durango on the 1190 in a couple weeks. any route suggestions? I don't have a lot of time, leaving Rapid Wednesday afternoon and have to be in Durango Saturday. would like to ride some more interesting routes, similar to this, if possible:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

None of the really difficult off road stuff as I will be alone, but some roads less traveled that I can still run 30-40MPH or so. any advice is appreciated.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
Re: Rapid City to Durango
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 10:45:20 AM »
550 and 149 come to mind.  And, I believe sections of 149 are unpaved.
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 11:05:02 AM »
149 is paved all the way but it's certainly worth the ride if you've never been on it before. IMHO it's better than 550.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 01:04:19 PM »
141 - Gateway to Uravan is high on my list.

If you like a quality car museum (history of cars) the Gateway auto museum is worth a stop.

While there's not a lot of "stellar" in N/W Colo, CO 139 from Rangely south I-70 is interesting. Heading south, you're in a nice valley, working higher in the hillside towards the pass. At the pass the views make a stunning change - wow.  South to North - not as nice (as you see what's coming), imo.

I have the same North to South pref for 550. Approaching Ouray, the valley is boxing in while one wonders, where in the heck could the road GO?!?!
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 01:22:05 PM »
149 is paved all the way but it's certainly worth the ride if you've never been on it before. IMHO it's better than 550.

Good to know!  Thanks.

Black Hills, depending how long you're going to be in Durango, Mesa Verde National Monument is close by and is well worth the visit.

http://www.nationalparks.org/explore-parks/mesa-verde-national-park?gclid=CMW-r4rczL4CFVJnOgodeR8APw

Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 06:41:45 PM »
I have the same North to South pref for 550. Approaching Ouray, the valley is boxing in while one wonders, where in the heck could the road GO?!?!

Left at Box Canyon Falls then up.  ;)
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson