Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: EOE: Thinking about a Toy hauler....  (Read 3103 times)

Offline DNA

• Motorcycles: BMG 1200GSAdv
EOE: Thinking about a Toy hauler....
« on: May 19, 2014, 07:13:30 PM »
EOE: Learn me up on trailers toy haulers.

I am planning to get some fun dirt bikes for me and the boys this summer to play and was looking at Box trailers on CL for 2-4K.  I think they are the best option for storage and day trip hauling.  I have room to store along side the house.  Lots of option just there alone.

Then the idea of a Toy hauler started to sound pretty nice (ac, shower, TV, etc)- next thing you know I am browsing a used $89K diesel motor coach.   Whoo ya - rock star!!!

Basically I went form a $900 landscaping trailer to new house in about 15 minutes.  Possibly less as I am gifted at such things.

Realistically I'd only use it 3-4 times per year.  With 3 small kids the thought of RV'ing around the state sounds cool - but I know I'd never do it that much. 

At $150/night for hotel rooms I could easily pay one off in about 567 years, so they are practical, and CA has so many awesome places to see I need not ever leave the state (except the mandatory visit to Bonneville some day).

Towing could be from the wife's Expedition XL - (cause that is jut not enough vehicle alone).

Specific questions:

Box trailer vs. Toy hauler vs. motor home?

What to look for? What to avoid?

Does these help induce your wife and daughter to come along to join the boy fun? 

Is that a good thing? 

What are they all so nasty inside?  Seriously the interiors are hideous.  Are any interiors not vomit inducing?

What would you tell me to get and why:

If my budget was $1500?

If my budget was $15,000?

If my budget was $50,000?  (its not today but lets have some fun...)

Might be time to sell the GS and buy dirt bikes to not use all year.  I think I could almost trade it for a 450, 2x50's and a small trailer to drag 'em around.

You may find yourself living in a shotgun shack  -You may find yourself in another part of the world
You may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile- You may find yourself in a beautiful house with a beautiful wife-
You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
Re: EOE: Thinking about a Toy hauler....
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 06:13:31 AM »
My brother and his new wife enjoy camping. And by camping I mean rolling their $50,000 trailer into a campsite unloading his Harley going for a ride then starting a propane fire. I can get the details for his trailer for you if you like. But it's basically a sleep four camper or maybe sleep six camper with an area in the back for garage, tool boxes, motorcycle, riding gear etc. The back wall of it basically folds down to be a full width loading ramp. It's really quite nice. he got it used, its about 4 years old. I'll try to find out whatever details I can for you.
this signature on hold pending review

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 06:21:46 AM »
Start with the landscaping trailer and see how that works for you. I rebuilt a rotting trailer I pulled from the woods. It meets all of my needs and when its just sitting there in the yard, I don't feel guilty for spending a Brazillion dollars. If I want comfort I'll get a hotel or stay home.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

There's loads of room for gear and support and I can make runs to the dump without worrying about scratching it.

Sent from the Moto X. A wicked awesome phone.

“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

― Frank Zappa

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 06:30:14 AM »
And for myself, I'm in the same boat as John. I have a5 by 8 trailer on which I can mount my chock and my tire changer and tools, and my loading ramp, and go whenever I want. It just sits in the back of the yard when I'm not using it and likewise, I don't feel guilty for having spent tons of money. I don't feel like i need to always use it just so it will be paying for itself.
this signature on hold pending review

Online Meemuh

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '91 Nighthawk.
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 08:44:50 AM »
I second Cookie & Frenchie...you can always upsize later if you want to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 09:10:20 AM »
realistically motel rooms are going to be cheaper. get a nice enclosed trailer for the bikes. they are like a rolling garage so you don't have to load/unload and all your "stuff" is always there. then stay in a motel and enjoy...

bonus is your real garage doesn't get filled up with dirtbikes and related equipment.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R) ... Indian Scout (RIP)
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 09:14:07 AM »
You can also rent a toy-hauler RV.
I'd certainly rent one before buying one, even a used one.
I have visited friends that have an RV in a 'campground'...   it's way to close to living in a cramped apartment for me. You NEED the A/C - because opening the windows lets in the noise of the neighbors talking, arguing, playing music or TV.
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Offline Dan K

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '10 VFR 1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 09:46:09 AM »
A friend has one for track days - the back wall is a full size ramp for loading/unloading toys, and once out, two couches fold down from the wall (one on each side). The front wall is a sink, stove and microwave, the corner has a bathroom/shower, and next to the door is a fridge. The couches slide together to make a large bed. It's small, but for hauling toys and providing a place to sleep, eminently practical. Even has a retractable HDTV antenna for the 30" flat screen for TV or track day videos... I'll take a picture of it - it's currently stored at my neighbor's house (who is working on his track bike, which is normally stored in the trailer...) 

- Dan
Sometimes, the only answer is defenestration.

Offline DNA

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 12:10:13 PM »
Thanks for the advice- I expect I'll get a landscaping trailer or Box set up for bikes - my position is I have 3 kids under 7 and an amazing state to explore.

With small kids - hotels, basically and travel in general, is PITA.

I'm thinking you are correct and day trips with a landscaping rig is best as it will go to the dump far more often than the trails...
You may find yourself living in a shotgun shack  -You may find yourself in another part of the world
You may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile- You may find yourself in a beautiful house with a beautiful wife-

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 - ORANGE!!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 08:12:08 AM »
buncha cheapskate whiners i say...

You read the blog.  You know how well you can do in a trailer if you need to.  It doesn't have to be expensive.  You don't always have to stay at popular, crowded campgrounds.  We personally have a truck so we throw the XTs in
the back and don't need a toy hauler.  However, you're in a position where it might be the perfect solution for your needs.  Kids love camping.  Wives love kitchens and bathrooms that are their own, even if smaller and somewhat
plastic.  Every trip is an opportunity to nest all over again.  And YES, they'll  be more inclined to come along because they can sit outside and read or go for a hike around the lake while you're out riding.  You have the comfort of
your own vehicle while static, you have your own stuff.  That's kind of invaluable. 

There are tons of national forest, Army Corp of Engineers, BLM and other agency campgrounds along with just open camping options that can keep you away from the crowds.  Do the research, they're out there.  Combined w/ some
smart off season trips, (if CA even has an off season) and you can make a very good trip come together with very little money. 

Buy used.  The depreciation hit is worse than just about anything else.  Because these are toys for most people, most will have been used a couple dozen times.  Ours was 2 years old and I saw ZERO evidence of it having ever been
used.  We got it for less than 1/2 retail value.  We paid 15K for a 31 footer.  No need to break the bank here.  Yes, toy haulers will be more expensive but it's all relative.

You have an opportunity to redefine who your children will become and how they'll remember you.  The impact of this decision is far greater than the convenience of a utility trailer to haul the bikes.  You can still get what you want but
you can make it a family event that will create awesome memories for everyone.  This is not a decision just about the practicality of transporting motorcycles.  You will take your DAD status to a new level. 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 - ORANGE!!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 08:21:45 AM »
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline DNA

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 11:35:49 AM »
Exactly what I was looking at - lots of them in the $12-$15K range.

The A/C just went out. 

Diagnosis: Bad compressor = $3800- $4500 to fix.

Free cash and dreams killed for another year I fear.

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 11:52:59 AM »
When my kids were smaller, I bought a used motorhome (first a 24 foot, then a 28 foot) and pulled a 6X10 enclosed trailer for the bikes. Mainly it was used for camping/trail riding, then touring the local motocross tracks on the weekends. The women folk liked having their own powder room versus porta john, we didn't have to buy track food, we can camp at the track pretty cheap, and have a place for them to hang out when the weather turns bad while the kids are racing. I also ended up using it when we needed to haul more than 5 people, (it seated 8) and used to take it to those day-long soccer tournaments the kids used to participate in.

Insurance is cheap, and you can find great deals on them if you look. It helps to have free parking for when you storing it, and you can sell them with minimal loss if you buy used.

Toy haulers really didn't exist back then, unless you built it yourself. So...just a cheaper alternative.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
  • Motorcycles: 16 Tiger Xr(x)
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2014, 01:02:54 PM »
Exactly what I was looking at - lots of them in the $12-$15K range.

The A/C just went out. 

Diagnosis: Bad compressor = $3800- $4500 to fix.

Free cash and dreams killed for another year I fear.

Ow.
A man with no sig

Offline SuperHans

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 09:21:50 AM »
Wives love kitchens and bathrooms that are their own, even if smaller and somewhat plastic.

My ex and my current SO both will tell you the last thing they want to do on vacation is clean a bathroom and kitchen. Thus one reason we get a room when traveling.