Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cramp buster vs full blown throttle lock  (Read 10625 times)

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
Cramp buster vs full blown throttle lock
« on: May 19, 2014, 07:30:17 AM »
Anyone out there with experience using both? Any advantages or drawbacks of one over the other?
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online SLK50

• Your life is what you make it.
  • Motorcycles: FJR1300, C-10
Re: Cramp buster vs full blown throttle lock
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 07:45:15 AM »
I see no disadvantage to a throttle lock.
Even my bikes with cruise control have one.

Sometimes you just have to give your hand a break.
It's never too early to plan.
It's never too late to go.

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 09:18:06 AM »
Never used a throttle lock, but a cramp buster has been a real help on relieving right hand/arm fatiuge on long days. If I did long sections of slab I bet the lock would be the better option, but I try to spend my day in the twisties where it's hours of roll off, roll on, repeat...
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 09:39:30 AM »
Have had both, much prefer the throttle lock. The lock allows you take your hand off the throttle, flex it, trail it in the breeze, shake out a cramp, etc. Crampbuster allows you to loosen your grip. Throttle lock can be adjusted to still return, but allow less force and less grip to maintain throttle opening. Crampbuster still needs to be held steady to modulate speed. Throttle lock will need adjustments constantly unless the road is really flat. Crampbuster needs to rolled out of the way to not be in use, and is awkward to put in that position. Throttle lock can be disengaged easily-depending on style. I have the Kaoko lock, which I like because the lock/unlock feature works the same rotation as the throttle, i.e. rolling off throttle eases the lock feature, but not necessarily enough to completely disengage it.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R) ... Indian Scout (RIP)
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 09:57:30 AM »
My BMW K12RS had a Throttlemeister when I got it (and Throttlemeister is close to my house!).
I never got the hang of engaging it smoothly - but I didn't try very hard because I have a crampbuster (or competitor) and put that on the bike.
I sanded down the brand name on the cramp buster because it annoyed me that I could feel it thru my summer gloves.
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 02:42:01 PM »
I find that that Crampbuster always seemed to be in the way.  As a matter of fact i think it's in the way on my workbench right now. 

Let me know if you want it.

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
  • Motorcycles: 16 Tiger Xr(x)
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 02:47:22 PM »
I find that that Crampbuster always seemed to be in the way.  As a matter of fact i think it's in the way on my workbench right now. 

Let me know if you want it.

I'm with Chris -- I liked the Crampbuster and used it to get across the continent once, but the throttle locks are easier on long slab hauls and that's what I need it for. I gave my Crampbuster away.

For throttle locks, I've tried both the Vista Cruise style and the Throttlemeister. I like the Throttlemeister better but I think that's a minority opinion.
A man with no sig

Offline Dan K

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '10 VFR 1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 02:48:11 PM »
Have had both, much prefer the throttle lock. The lock allows you take your hand off the throttle, flex it, trail it in the breeze, shake out a cramp, etc. Crampbuster allows you to loosen your grip. Throttle lock can be adjusted to still return, but allow less force and less grip to maintain throttle opening. Crampbuster still needs to be held steady to modulate speed. Throttle lock will need adjustments constantly unless the road is really flat. Crampbuster needs to rolled out of the way to not be in use, and is awkward to put in that position. Throttle lock can be disengaged easily-depending on style. I have the Kaoko lock, which I like because the lock/unlock feature works the same rotation as the throttle, i.e. rolling off throttle eases the lock feature, but not necessarily enough to completely disengage it.

I have a cramp buster and a clamp type lever throttle lock that by tension rests against the brake lever to keep throttle engaged.

It's nice to have your hands free on long rides for a moment or two to adjust helmet, zippers, stretch a second, what not. Mine is one of these...go cruise.  Disengage by rolling off the throttle. Simple.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

www.webbikeworld.com/t2/go-cruise-throttle-control

Only problem is it is NOT a cruise control - if you head up a hill, your bike will lose speed. Downhill? It will speed up. But it's worth it for the quick right hand free moment often needed on a long ride.

-Dan

EDIT - I do like my cramp buster. It is never in the way - it rotates with the throttle. It hasn't been off my Sprint in at least two years.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 09:50:45 AM by Dan K »
Sometimes, the only answer is defenestration.

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Trapped!
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 05:55:28 PM »
I run both.  The crampbuster is good for on and off the throttle in traffic to ease wrist strain, but the throttlemeister is good for the long haul.
--Tom

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 06:19:41 PM »
I pretty much got the answers I thought I would. I'm not looking for a cruise control. But 10 years after my right wrist was shattered, I'm having a hard time dealing with long times holding the throttle in a specific position. So when it comes to throttle locks, what works best? I tried a Vistacruise many years ago on my Kbike and was less than expressed.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 06:58:12 PM »
I like the Manic Salamander throttle lock, myself. 

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Offline Oddball

• Motorcycles: XS360, DR650, Tiger 800XC, FZ1, R1100RT
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 06:58:29 PM »
Have both.  Always use the throttle lock.  Camp buster not so much.
IBA# 22015

Offline M.Brane

• Motorcycles: 3 RC46, GTS1000
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 08:05:29 PM »
  I've had Throttlemeisters on two bikes I've owned because they came with the bike, and found them to be fairly useless for me.

I've bought 3 Cramp Busters, and won't take a long trip without one.

Online Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 08:32:50 AM »
I pretty much got the answers I thought I would. I'm not looking for a cruise control. But 10 years after my right wrist was shattered, I'm having a hard time dealing with long times holding the throttle in a specific position. So when it comes to throttle locks, what works best? I tried a Vistacruise many years ago on my Kbike and was less than expressed.

Check out how they all operate and get the one you like. I like Kaoko because you can use it to only partially hold the throttle. It is not a full on or full off. It acts like a spring assist, when you let go, it slowly returns, and take just a slight pressure (like just resting your hand on it) to keep the position.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 08:37:57 PM by Max Wedge »
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 03:23:02 PM »
I've had a Throttlemeister for a while, and never been happy with it. Either it was too tight, or not tight enough. Best combo I used was a Go Cruise and the Throttlemeister for long term hands off throttle.

Crampbuster was awesome in it's own way though... Damage to my right elbow has limited my time in saddle without something to help support my wrist, and CB is a godsend.

Go Cruise has also come out with a new unit, metal rather than plastic that I HAVE to have. In fact, I think I will buy it right now. 

LT
Great googly-moogly!

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2014, 07:59:37 AM »
It depends on the bike too. I tried a crampbuster but the 'busa has such a short throw that it proved to be useless and even a bit annoying. I also tried the rubber grommet on the edge of the throttle between it and the bar end. It generally worked but it wouldn't always keep the throttle in position, especially when colder. I finally got the Throttlemeister and it works just perfectly for me. I keep a couple of fingers on the throttle and use my little/ring finger to tighten it, once friction is in place, I just reach over and finish tightening it down. It does take a little practice to get it going but even when new to it, you can pull in on the clutch and coast, then just take your hand off the throttle, tighten it down and roll back on again.

Carl
 No matter where you go, there you are.

Offline redbandit14

• Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250S
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2014, 08:11:33 AM »
I've had both but have nothing at the moment , The Cramp buster was in the way and useless on anything but the slab. The throttle lock was good but with my OEM bars was in the way and giving me cramps as much as helping to relieve them.

I'm getting a Go Cruise on the recommendation of my Nephew who has one on his sprint.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2014, 09:40:37 AM »
Has anyone done any comparisons between Throttlemeister and Kaoko? I've narrowed it down between these 2. Throttlemeister has been around for a long time. The Kaoko unit appears to be a little easier to set because of the knurled ring on the outside.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2014, 07:52:55 PM »
I've been using the Universal Vista Cruise on the Bandit since I have had it- for me it is perfect.  No experience with the others though. 
http://www.bikebandit.com/universal-vista-cruise?b=15601&utm_source=feed&utm_medium=merchantfeed&utm_campaign=pla&gclid=CNns9Mjxyr4CFdSMMgod0G4A3g
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2014, 06:55:17 AM »
Has anyone done any comparisons between Throttlemeister and Kaoko? I've narrowed it down between these 2. Throttlemeister has been around for a long time. The Kaoko unit appears to be a little easier to set because of the knurled ring on the outside.

Looks like the Kaoko is about half the price of my Throttlemeister although I don't know what the shipping rate is from South Africa :)  The tech appears to be the same. Turning the bar end causes an internal ring to seat with the throttle face producing friction and preventing the throttle from returning to position.

Mine does look like a bar end though vs the Kaoko and Throttlemeister offers a heavier replacement to reduce vibration (that's the one I bought for a few bucks more).

The Kaoko does have a larger grabbing area which would make it easy to apply. I personally get the bike up to the appropriate speed and then push my thumb against the throttle to hold it in place and use my little finger to roll it into place. Works every time and with Gerbing gloves or my normal deerskin riding gloves (rode up to Devil's Tower over the weekend so I used it a bit both ways :) ).

It would appear to be that it depends on the look you're trying to achieve. The Kaoko has just the one style; black. The Throttlemeister folks seem to offer several different styles.

Carl
 No matter where you go, there you are.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2014, 09:42:23 PM »
Ordered a Crampbuster today. <$14 shipped. Turns out the Kaoko doesn't make 1 for my VFR and every place I found for the Throttlemeister was 7-10 days for shipping.   :rolf:    :csm:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2014, 06:34:32 PM »
Should have waited until Clay-B-Que.  I would have brought you one.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2014, 06:45:46 PM »
Thanks.

I think.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline BillL

• Motorcycles: 2013 Multistrada
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2014, 09:25:41 AM »
I put the VistaCruise on my old 900 a long, long time ago.  It works, but that's all I'll say.  My Blackbird came with a ThrottleMeister from the previous owner.  I loved it.  Nicer "grip" on the throttle than the VistaCruise.  Beautiful pieces of machined metal.  I've got one coming for the Duc.  Hopefully, I will get it installed without difficulty.

Offline BadDad

• Location: NE Wisconsin....between Niagara and Pembine...in a house.
  • Motorcycles: One of each.
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2014, 05:51:02 PM »
Gave away the cramp buster years ago. Got the go cruise this year and it made droning across ND. A lot more comfortable on the gsxr1000.

Offline oilhed

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2009 K1200LT (trunkless)
Cramp buster vs full blown throttle lock
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2014, 07:58:24 PM »
I had a vista cruise years ago on my Guzzi.   I switched to a cramp buster on my BMW in 2001. I hated it so I got a lock screw and that was better. But I did without on my Ducati and have found no need for one on my newer BMW. I DO WITHOUT.
MarkF
aka OILHED
Central CT

Offline spinalator

• Motorcycles: XT1200Z
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2014, 06:08:09 PM »
I had a throttle rocker and now have a throttlemeister installed on the VFR1.2K. It is good for long trips, we did 2600 km in 3 days and much was the slab, so it was nice to flex and move the right hand around. It is annoying on hills, as you have to try to adjust it 1/64 of a revolution for 3 km increments, so I was always speeding up, slowing down, speeding up....

All in all, I am happy with it, but would like to have electronic CC someday...

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2014, 08:35:55 AM »

I've had both . . . . both work well, but the Kaoko IS a slight bit easier for, er, ehem, experienced mitts to manage.

though, for me, the direction of rotation of a Kaoko is 180 degrees from what I'd expect . . . .first application after weeks of not using it is always a slight "huh?" moment . . . . . .

Once on the slab, I tend to set it so it's *almost* locking the throttle . . . . . .but still allows slight adjustments . . . .this way, benefits of both a throttle lock and a cramp buster can be realized.
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Offline flips21

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '04 ST3
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2014, 11:10:44 PM »
I have had the Vista Cruise and currently have the Throttle Meister and Cramp Buster.  Of the three, I like the Vista Cruise the best.  It was the easiest engagement and release.  I went to the Throttle Meister because the VC doesn't fit on my ST3.  Didn't take long to be frustrated by it.  Locking and unlocking almost always means accelerating and decelerating while I tighten it up.  With the Vista Cruise, you just thumb down a lever.  Easy as pie.

The TM drove me to add the Crampbuster.  On a 400 mile day, it is mostly the Crampbuster with possibly once or twice with the TM.  If the TM didn't look so good and serve as weighted bar ends, I would probably dump it.  If I buy a bike that will fit the VC in the future, the VC is the way I would go.

Flip

Offline jimmy

• Motorcycles: 2004 VFR-A
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2014, 03:10:57 AM »
One can always try out a throttle lock on the cheap...

http://www.ofb.net/~sethml/motorcycle/throttle-lock/

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2014, 06:40:31 AM »

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline rocketbunny

• Motorcycles: 05 BMW R1200ST
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2014, 10:34:41 PM »
I've had them all. I had the real Audiovox cruise control on my old YZF600r. Vistacruise before that. Just a throttle lock on the ST. But every bike I've owned for the last 8 years has had a Crampbuster on it (or the old whatever it was before Crampbuster sued them out of existence).

Small hands.

Especially on the R12ST, I'm unable to smoothly do stuff like activate my turn signals without the Crampbuster. Besides that, my hands last longer when I'm able to let them just hang most of the time.
-Becca

IBA#33634

Offline rgbeard

• Motorcycles: '01 Triumph Speed Triple, '03 GSXR 1000
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2014, 12:20:52 AM »
Funny bit:

I've sold lots of GL-1500s in my life, all on eBay.  Many had a throttle lock (as they're awfully handy), and the GL-1500 also has an electronic cruise control.

I learned I had to remove the throttle locks to sell the GL-1500.  If I left it on, I'd get several emails asking:  Is the cruise control nonfunctional?  I always included specific text that indicated the cruise was tested and worked, yet the presence of the useful plastic bit spurred all the doubt.

Removing it, no questions generated.
IBA: 63413

Offline SWriverstone

• The Road Cubist
  • Motorcycles: DL650 Wee-Strom
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2014, 02:00:01 PM »
I've used both. Eventually got rid of the CrampBuster---just found I didn't really need it much. I put an NEP throttle lock on years ago, and it's worked perfectly ever since---best bang for your buck at $25 (or less)...
http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Off-Recreational-CRUISE-CC4-SUZUKI/dp/B002OMOMAG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1411498609&sr=8-2&keywords=nep+throttle+lock

The only time I use the throttle lock is when I just need to rest or shake out my right hand (usually never more than 2-3 times on a full day's ride). I'll just use it for a 30 seconds or so, then take it off. I find I don't like riding for extended periods with it, even on the slab---since it can't compensate for hills (so I'm constantly tweaking it---easier to just do without).

Scott
Riding a rashed-up bike is strangely liberating.

Offline vulgar1

• Motorcycles: 2003 VFR800
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2015, 09:29:29 PM »
I use both for longer rides, basically anything that isn't going to work and back. Love them both. As stated it isn't a cruise control in the truest sense, but it does allow you to rest your right hand. For low speed parking lot stuff I just rotate the cramp buster 180 degrees so it is out of the way. Rotate back when on the highway again. Works great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline melville

• Motorcycles: R75/6, Yamaha 850 (very) Special
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2015, 10:54:30 AM »
Do modern bikes have a friction screw on the throttle?  I've got the one on my Airhead set so it will hold throttle position all by itself until I hit a bump.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2015, 07:45:36 PM »
Do modern bikes have a friction screw on the throttle?  I've got the one on my Airhead set so it will hold throttle position all by itself until I hit a bump.

Yeah. I have one of those on my /5. Never seen one on a modern bike though.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2015, 10:00:22 PM »
My '90 K75 had one. That counts as modern, I think.
None of my oilheads had it, though.
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

"I like the beverages."  -CLAY