Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Premonitions  (Read 5006 times)

Offline Napper

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 1998 VFR 800, 2000 XR650L, 2000 VFR 800
Premonitions
« on: May 18, 2014, 11:32:29 PM »
I'm supposed to leave Hillsboro, Oregon tomorrow morning to head  back home to Glendale AZ.  Earlier today I was wishing I didn't have to leave yet because I'm visiting my dad and was only able to stay 2 days.  Now, while finalizing my route home, I'm getting a sense of dread, like something bad is going happen on the trip home.

I'm not superstitious and I think Theresa the psychic and her ilk are fraudsters. But this seems very real.

I had a good ride up but it had problems that have me a little out of my comfort zone. My Zumo screen locked up so the best it can do is display a map and play whatever audio I have selected, over and over.  I have Google maps on my android phone but that's a poor substitute for my Garmin loaded with my routes and favorites. I also quit on another SS-1000 attempt with only 150 miles and six hours to go- darker, colder and sleepier than I was willing to deal with. 

So, do you ever get these feelings?  If so, do you listen to them and change your plans? If so, how did you explain to your employer you were extending your vacation because your gut told you to.

Experiences and encouragement are welcome.

And if I'm right, it's been good knowing you all, in the way we do.

Peace (appropriately auto corrected to"pace") and safe riding.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Offline rgbeard

• Motorcycles: '01 Triumph Speed Triple, '03 GSXR 1000
Re: Premonitions
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 11:43:23 PM »
I'm not into superstitions and premonitions myself.

However, in reading details of other incidents, it's seldom "just one thing".  Usually a combination of failures or shortcomings, that, on their own would be insignificant, add up to failure when brought together.

Pay attention. 

Is the bike running well? 
Are your health/fitness/energy levels all in the green-zone? 
Can you navigate your way? 
Would stopping and taking some time for yourself, for the bike or some of your supporting equipment possibly make a positive change for you? 

If you answered yes to the first three, and no to the fourth, then Harden the Fuck Up, Nancy Boy.

Else, if you answered no to any of the first three, or yes to the fourth, take some time to change your situation.

IBA: 63413

Offline rgbeard

• Motorcycles: '01 Triumph Speed Triple, '03 GSXR 1000
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 11:46:32 PM »
As far as explaining to employers/family/friends goes.... been there, done that.

With aviation, it's a little easier because you can just say, "Weather conditions made it impossible for me to get home safely and on time."  People don't usually tell a private pilot that he should have persevered against nature.  On a motorcycle, I can see that it's more of a challenge to communicate the message, but safety should be the primary concern.

Tell them before work starts on Monday.
IBA: 63413

Offline misanthropist

• Motorcycles: Griso, GSXR, and projects
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 12:06:48 AM »
I don't believe in premonitions at all.

I'm not sure that it applies in this case, but I'll tell you what I do believe in: I believe in my amygdala.

Long before we evolved the ability to reason, and to describe, and to explain, we still had to survive in adverse conditions.  If the only animals that were good at recognizing danger were animals that could give you a clear, rational explanation for why they felt something was wrong, there would be no animals at all.

I don't know that this specific situation qualifies, but there are times when I get a feeling about a situation or a person that I would call a warning bell.  As far as I'm concerned, that is the emotional early warning system that predates my frontal lobe, and it's there because it's fast and effective.  Lizards have it, dogs have it, you have it.  It works well because it does not require you to understand all of the variables in any conscious way. 

Maybe it's somebody's body language.  How many people could sit down and say "the reason that guy looks shifty is that he's walking without moving his shoulders enough, and he's bending his knees about ten degrees further than average, while loading his weight onto the balls of his feet about 15% quicker than normal, and I noticed a facial grooming tic right before the rapid weight-shift to his rear leg as he spoke to that guy he just mugged"?

Almost nobody could tell you that.  But watching a video, almost everyone would get a "that guy looks shifty" vibe.  That is because your early warning system works.

And it only stops being effective if you stop listening to it.

Now whether your amygdala can be tuned to a Zumo or valvetrain noise, I'm not sure.  And I don't believe in any ability to see the future.  But when it comes to humans, including myself, I go with my gut.
Support 12-5

Offline Napper

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 12:24:29 AM »
Rusty, just the kind of response I needed.  Bike is running very see well, physically I'm good long as I get a good night's sleep.   

Misanthropist, I agree with what you said but also agree it doesn't quite apply because none of my five senses had detected anything. The only red flags are between my ears.

I likely need to just keep calm and carry on.

OTOH, if anyone wants to start a pool for how far I make it, here's my Spotwalla page: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=800c524d1a147e474

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=800c524d1a147e474

Offline JonS

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Tuono, 2014 Triumph Street Triple R
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 06:49:09 AM »
A premonition is not superstition. There is way more to life than meets the eye.
If it were me and I had a feeling of dread, for no reason, about a ride, I would take the day off. Dread is a feeling that I very rarely feel.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 06:04:24 AM by JonS »
You can't avoid aging, but you don't have to get old.

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 10:29:58 AM »
Had a bout of it yesterday while trailering my F800S to its new owner up in Germantown.  Came on even before I'd strapped it down; I spent most of the drive looking anxiously in the rear view mirror to see if the bike was tipping over.  Didn't happen.

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 10:36:19 AM »
I occasionally get these as well. I've had an increase in them since one of my dirt bike buddies crashed and ended up a quadriplegic. While I do listen to them to some degree, double check my bike, gear, etc. and stay more alert, I don't let them force me to change plans. I think working through the feeling helps diminish their frequency in the future.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 10:38:55 AM »

I'm not sure that it applies in this case, but I'll tell you what I do believe in: I believe in my amygdala.

Long before we evolved the ability to reason, and to describe, and to explain, we still had to survive in adverse conditions.  If the only animals that were good at recognizing danger were animals that could give you a clear, rational explanation for why they felt something was wrong, there would be no animals at all.

I don't know that this specific situation qualifies, but there are times when I get a feeling about a situation or a person that I would call a warning bell.  As far as I'm concerned, that is the emotional early warning system that predates my frontal lobe, and it's there because it's fast and effective.  Lizards have it, dogs have it, you have it.  It works well because it does not require you to understand all of the variables in any conscious way. 

Maybe it's somebody's body language.  How many people could sit down and say "the reason that guy looks shifty is that he's walking without moving his shoulders enough, and he's bending his knees about ten degrees further than average, while loading his weight onto the balls of his feet about 15% quicker than normal, and I noticed a facial grooming tic right before the rapid weight-shift to his rear leg as he spoke to that guy he just mugged"?

Almost nobody could tell you that.  But watching a video, almost everyone would get a "that guy looks shifty" vibe.  That is because your early warning system works.

Now whether your amygdala can be tuned to a Zumo or valvetrain noise, I'm not sure.  And I don't believe in any ability to see the future.  But when it comes to humans, including myself, I go with my gut.

I agree completely when dealing with other creatures (human or not).
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline DNA

• Motorcycles: BMG 1200GSAdv
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 11:16:32 AM »
If I really don't feel it then I don't ride.

As for premonitions - I have it all the time but I can it intuition also called applying previous experience.   Mis is 100% correct about people and situations- similar skills develop about business deals, traffic patterns, weather and the such. 

As you do things more and more you get a gut instinct for normal and not normal.  Not normal does not mean you will certainly die - it means pay attention and prepare to modify your plans.

That said - 99.9% of the time after about 15 minutes on a bike I forget my worries and it goes great. relaxed riding is smooth - smooth is less tiring and much safer.

What I am tired (frequent on LD rides) cold, hungry, angry or otherwise not 100% I can replicate that sense of dread.

Mostly a hot meal in a warm roadside eatery makes it all go away.

As for your Garmen - stuff happens all the time - don't use it as an excuse to make your fear realized.

My advice - check your gear, have a hot meal and 1 hour rest before you need it, then nut up and go happy.
You may find yourself living in a shotgun shack  -You may find yourself in another part of the world
You may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile- You may find yourself in a beautiful house with a beautiful wife-
You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?

Offline Napper

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 01:06:39 PM »
Once I made it east of The Dalles and saw the sun was still doing his job, I started feeling much better. :)

Offline Napper

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 12:19:46 AM »
Got into Wells, Nevada a big past sunset.  Almost got smashed by a mini van passing a semi on hwy 93 at dusk. Fortunately about 30 minutes after a rest and snack stop.  Otherwise it was a great ride along I-84.

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 03:59:44 PM »

I agree completely when dealing with other creatures (human or not).

I agree, and not just in regards to other creatures. I stand by the belief that humans are insightful and intelligent (in spite of some bad examples). Part of that is us not understanding everything around us consciously. Whether instinct, or just your brain reacting to stimuli that you may not consciously notice, I try to listen to that nagging voice. Occasionally I haven't and something has happened... or it hasn't. Unfortunately not a hard science.

I'm not exactly tuned into the paranormal crapola, but I believe we may subconsciously notice things that give us the willies. IVe changed plans when I felt like something just wasn't right. Never regretted it when I did, occasionally regretted it when I didn't.

LT
Great googly-moogly!

Offline Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 08:01:47 PM »
Not much on superstition here, best to keep an open mind and an eye on the wind.

As to the Garmin, it can always be reset . After starting & booted up hold the power button and keep pressure on the lower right corner of the screen for about 8 seconds (may be less time maybe a bit more) This will allow you to restart the zumo with a fresh slate.
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Offline coucours grad

• Motorcycles: 2008 ST1300 (faSTeST Red) 1992 Kawasaki Concours (RIP)
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 10:34:52 PM »
If I get a "feeling" something bad is gonna happen I ignore it. Its never panned out.

If I get that feeling about a person or an animal I used to try to introduce them too my dog.
She could smell a bad egg at 200 yards and was 100% accurate.(RIP Baby)

Take the ride...
Protect your right to keep and arm bears!

Offline Napper

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2014, 12:20:06 AM »
Got into Wells, Nevada a big past sunset.  Almost got smashed by a mini van passing a semi on hwy 93 at dusk. Fortunately about 30 minutes after a rest and snack stop.  Otherwise it was a great ride along I-84.

Fuck,

Twice again tonight.  Within 15 minutes of my final break (75 miles from home) to swap to my clear face shield.  Both of these times, I saw the assholes pull out from behind the trucks, I flashed my lights, braked and pulled right.  They both kept coming.  The second one would have hit the semi trailing me if I had disappeared and the truck maintained his speed (wishful thinking, I guess).  Neither of them were anywhere near doable passes. 

And I thought we were supposed to worry about deer that time of day.

Anyway,  I made it home in tact physically.

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 03:39:52 PM »
this thread is cock.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Offline Napper

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2014, 05:44:11 PM »
Not much on superstition here, best to keep an open mind and an eye on the wind.

As to the Garmin, it can always be reset . After starting & booted up hold the power button and keep pressure on the lower right corner of the screen for about 8 seconds (may be less time maybe a bit more) This will allow you to restart the zumo with a fresh slate.

Searched and tried every non-invasive fix I could.  It seems one portion of the touch screen is stuck and won't let any other portion of the screen activate.  I think I'll be replacing the touch screen.