Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Getting the Hairy Eyeball  (Read 7291 times)

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
Getting the Hairy Eyeball
« on: May 12, 2014, 08:35:20 PM »
  So I get home from work today I walk in and Mrs. Wedge is looking at me with a disapproving eye. Had there been more people in the room, I would have thought it was an intervention. The TV screen behind her had a map of our area, all colored in deep green, red, magenta and other scary colors. "Was it necessary for you to ride to work today?" she asked. "Yes," I replied, "I work on Mondays." She was not half as amused as I was, but I tried not to show it.

Now I thought we were over this, she hasn't texted me any "You're an idiot" messages for a couple of years, and besides, my life insurance is paid up. "Did you get wet?" "No, I had rain gear.....". "Didn't you see this coming?" Now there was a tough question. If I say no, it means my forecasting skills are sucky, and I can't be trusted to make forecasts. If I say yes, then I can't be trusted to make good judgments pertaining to my own health, and could possibly be institutionalized. Hmmm...gotta think quick....

"Did the dogs eat?" An obvious stall, but what could I do? I threw myself on the mercy of the court, "it's all good, I made it home, safe and dry." The look continues.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
Re: Getting the Hairy Eyeball
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 08:39:51 PM »
Not as much of a rant as an interesting observation- then again, it maybe could be taken as a rant.

I have a barn behind the house.  It has been designed as a place to hang out, fix things, and build things, as well as store stuff.  What became clear tonight was that I have some friends who's wives fear the barn- they know that when they come over (as couples) that while the meat is being cooked the guys hang out by the barn (where the grill is in the summer) and have a few beers.  Tonight, for example, I grilled the meat, had a few brews with the boys while it was being done, then came up with the meat.  Some of the guys hung out by the barn for a few minutes after I came up with the meat (which I am totally cool with, BTW).  What is fascinating to me is that it seems they view it as a barn problem.   :lol:

Silly wives (note, that is not a comment directed at all wives, but at the few who misinterpret the issue).   :rolleyes:   :lol:

How does she feel about barns?
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online M.Brane

• Motorcycles: 3 RC46, GTS1000
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 08:50:55 PM »
 LOL

I won't ride in the rain on purpose, but I won't let it stop me from riding either. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense for me to don the rain gear for 30min commute. That, and if it's raining I'm likely working a 12hr night shift. Don't need to be riding home at 8AM with all the idiot cagers after one of those. I'll just take the truck. It needs to get out once in a while anyway.

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 08:56:43 PM »
Not as much of a rant as an interesting observation- then again, it maybe could be taken as a rant.

I have a barn behind the house.  It has been designed as a place to hang out, fix things, and build things, as well as store stuff.  What became clear tonight was that I have some friends who's wives fear the barn- they know that when they come over (as couples) that while the meat is being cooked the guys hang out by the barn (where the grill is in the summer) and have a few beers.  Tonight, for example, I grilled the meat, had a few brews with the boys while it was being done, then came up with the meat.  Some of the guys hung out by the barn for a few minutes after I came up with the meat (which I am totally cool with, BTW).  What is fascinating to me is that it seems they view it as a barn problem.   :lol:

Silly wives (note, that is not a comment directed at all wives, but at the few who misinterpret the issue).   :rolleyes:   :lol:

How does she feel about barns?

No problem with barns, she gets it.
Where am I?

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 09:15:57 PM »
Glad I'm not married. But i do get some looks from the neighbors. Screw them.
At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 10:53:58 PM »
Whew... at first I thought this was going to be about her reaction to your ride south....

Carry on.

:bigok:
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Offline bluepoof

• bluepoof.com
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 11:00:11 PM »
Whew... at first I thought this was going to be about her reaction to your ride south....

:lol: Me too!

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 05:38:15 AM »
Heh, mine took pictures in case I dropped the bike.

Carl
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 No matter where you go, there you are.

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 06:23:19 AM »
Just so no one gets the wrong idea, Mrs. Wedge is cool with me riding to work, taking 7-10 days to go for a ride, riding 250 miles for a burger, she gets it. It is just that occasionally she goes all maternal and stuff (last kid moves out in a couple of weeks) and worries about my well-being. She will get over it. I was just amused at the whole conversation and  thought it was cute. I was tempted to try the ST.x  battle cry of "I'm not smart and you can't make me!"* That one NEVER goes over as well as I imagine.

*I don't remember which ride report that was from, but it stuck with me.
Where am I?

Offline marc11

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 06:31:09 AM »
My wife does the same. She is fine fine fine and then boon starts to question one ride. She looked at me like I was insane suiting up after hearing the weather report of a 30 percent chance of light rain. Told her I have new tires and my gear is water proof and then the garage door slammed shut....it'll pass.

I used to not ride to work when there is a prediction of rain, but the reports are so bad these days I just changed my rules. If it is dry out when its time to leave I ride. If it rains on my way home...oh well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 06:41:51 AM »
My wife does the same. She is fine fine fine and then boon starts to question one ride. She looked at me like I was insane suiting up after hearing the weather report of a 30 percent chance of light rain. Told her I have new tires and my gear is water proof and then the garage door slammed shut....it'll pass.

I used to not ride to work when there is a prediction of rain, but the reports are so bad these days I just changed my rules. If it is dry out when its time to leave I ride. If it rains on my way home...oh well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

+1. Last year I left my Jeep on the other side of the state, so it's my only vehicle in the summer. Even if I have a car available, unless it is a downpour, I ride.
I also should mention that she is an occupational therapist, and over the last two weeks she has had to rehab 2 50-something motorcyclists. One is a head injury, but he may have a stroke before he crashed. The other I don't know much about, but I have a feeling it may have been a single vehicle, failed to negotiate a corner at 2AM thing.
Where am I?

Offline HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R) ... Indian Scout (RIP)
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 10:16:04 AM »
You must have nicer neighbors than I do
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.,Kona NuNu
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 04:14:57 PM »
The look continues.
As it was in the beginning, so shall it be in the end...

After 38 years of riding (usually the bicycles, often the moto) in four seasons, at all temperatures from -30 to +40 fahrenheits, my SO has pretty much given up on reasoning with me.
As a one cage family (her cage), two wheels is what I do...and I'm oblivious to the backlash.
"We have constructed pyramids, in honour of our escaping." - Jim Morrison

”And the music was good, and the music was loud, and the singer he turned and he said to the crowd, LET THERE BE ROCK!”
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline coucours grad

• Motorcycles: 2008 ST1300 (faSTeST Red) 1992 Kawasaki Concours (RIP)
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 04:26:06 PM »
They can get happy in or out of the same pair of pants they get hairy in or out of......If they choose to.

(this is universal all-gender statement)
Protect your right to keep and arm bears!

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 04:30:22 PM »
Just so no one gets the wrong idea, Mrs. Wedge is cool with me riding to work, taking 7-10 days to go for a ride, riding 250 miles for a burger, she gets it. It is just that occasionally she goes all maternal and stuff (last kid moves out in a couple of weeks) and worries about my well-being. She will get over it. I was just amused at the whole conversation and  thought it was cute. I was tempted to try the ST.x  battle cry of "I'm not smart and you can't make me!"* That one NEVER goes over as well as I imagine.

*I don't remember which ride report that was from, but it stuck with me.

Oh understood. And the ride report was on STN where BMW-K, atypical1, and miles took their non-dirt bikes to Death Valley. Miles lost the nut to the oil pan and all the oil drained out his bike. I tried to find it but my search-fu is not good today on STN. My favorite quotation:

Regarding Miles hitting a rock which loosened the nut, which eventually came off.... someone asked:

"What is the probability of that happening?"

To which Miles replied, "100% in this case."

A classic ride report.

Back to our regular programming...
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 12:03:18 PM »
If you regularly set out in the rain, it cesases to be a remarkable situation . . . . . the argeeement USED to be that I wouldn't leave in the bike if it was raining . . . .then pouring . . . then actively lightening . . . . then, busses being washed down the street . . .

Remember that Labrador Retreiver than KNEW he wasn't supposed to be in teh kitchen, but would ease on in anyway, one paw at a time?
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 12:46:55 PM »
If you regularly set out in the rain, it ceases to be a remarkable situation . . . . . the agreement USED to be that I wouldn't leave in the bike if it was raining . . . .then pouring . . . then actively lightening . . . . then, busses being washed down the street . . .

Remember that Labrador Retriever than KNEW he wasn't supposed to be in the kitchen, but would ease on in anyway, one paw at a time?

Yup yup yup. I had the same agreement. Each time you arrive home unscathed, unrattled, unwet, unimpressed, and maybe a even a little happy, it lets you stretch the boundaries of what is acceptable a little more. Until you don't, or they start to wonder if maybe there isn't something wrong with you.  8)  I was a firefighter for 15 years, so you think she would get used to the fact that I have always come home.

So what you are saying is that this approach will work for lengths of time and distance too? 3 months and Mexico, 6 months and Panama, 12 months and Machu Picchu?
Where am I?

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 01:24:23 PM »

Yup yup yup. I had the same agreement. Each time you arrive home unscathed, unrattled, unwet, unimpressed, and maybe a even a little happy, it lets you stretch the boundaries of what is acceptable a little more. Until you don't, or they start to wonder if maybe there isn't something wrong with you.  8)  I was a firefighter for 15 years, so you think she would get used to the fact that I have always come home.

So what you are saying is that this approach will work for lengths of time and distance too? 3 months and Mexico, 6 months and Panama, 12 months and Machu Picchu?

I'll admit to not pushing the envelop quite that far . . .. .heck, I gotta leave you SOMEthing to test!
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Offline JReazor

• Ignore Alien Orders
    • The Pace Podcast
  • Motorcycles: SV650, C3, Sprint GT
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 01:59:50 PM »
I don't get the hairy eyeball. I get that sympathetic look that is usually reserved for a dog that didn't have the good sense to stay out of a bad situation. It gets even worse when I say something completely unreasonable like "It's ok. I kind of like riding in the rain every now and then".

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2014, 02:11:37 PM »
I don't get the hairy eyeball. I get that sympathetic look that is usually reserved for a dog that didn't have the good sense to stay out of a bad situation. It gets even worse when I say something completely unreasonable like "It's ok. I kind of like riding in the rain every now and then".

I tried that one once. The result was that she 'doubled-down" on my life insurance. I thought that was a reasonable response.
Where am I?

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2014, 02:30:18 PM »

That's usually what I get.

Or a giggle.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2014, 02:35:53 PM »

I tried that one once. The result was that she 'doubled-down" on my life insurance. I thought that was a reasonable response.

LOL - I tell wives who are against 'letting' their husband buy a motorcycle to simply take out more insurance on him and let him go have some fun. Chances are he is more likely to return home than wander off because he is unhappy.... and even better he might scare himself silly and return the motorcycle and that would be that....

You won't believe the looks and responses *I* get.  :lol:

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2014, 03:23:02 PM »
Marry a rider . . . . . . many of these conversations simply do not happen.

Offline fourstring

• Motorcycles: Versys 650 LT
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2014, 07:53:22 AM »

:wave:
For all the people that reside there, the center of the universe must be awfully crowded.

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2014, 09:11:45 AM »

Riding today?
At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2014, 10:06:30 AM »

Riding today?

Isn't everyone?
Where am I?