Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mid-life crisis planning  (Read 12063 times)

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
Mid-life crisis planning
« on: May 12, 2014, 11:59:42 AM »
So I never had a mid-life crisis. I never made an impulse purchase of a Corvette or a HD and explained it away by claiming 'mid-life crisis'. I always felt that you saved playing your mid-life crisis card for that really big item you need a pass on, like a girlfriend.....or a ride to South America. Which is the point of this thread, amigos. With my casa going on the market in a couple of weeks, do I take some of it (we are downsizing), and see if I can get a year sabbatical from work and head south? While I am sure this is just thoughts from an idle mind while doing mindless work around the house prepping it for its new owners, I have to ask...is it really that crazy?

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
  • Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
Re: Mid-life crisis planning
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 12:00:28 PM »
I have to ask...is it really that crazy?
You don't have to ask because it's not crazy at all. Enjoy your trip :D
www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 12:13:42 PM »
Downsize. Pay off EVERYTHING. Pay cash going forward. Put that "crazy times" money into a bigger retirement fund. Get to retirement even sooner. THEN have fun.

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 12:36:25 PM »
I would try for early retirement as opposed to a year off and then back to work, but whatever you think. I would not pay off my house. seems foolish in times when money is cheap and returns are higher? If you had a million dollars would you put it in a box under your bed? similar to what you are doing by having a house paid for. just a thought and I realize some people prefer the safety of no debt as opposed to the possibility of more income on your money.

good luck and have fun whatever you decide.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 12:39:38 PM »
There are no guarantees in life.  These are the two ends of the spectrum; no right or wrong way.

Putting off life is a losing proposition.  At some point time will run out (either you won't be able to do that trip or you won't want to), however retirement can be a LONG time and how comfortable do you want it to be?

If you're married, that's another variable for this whole thing.

As I tell my kids, make the best decision you can at the time, leaving fear out of the process and then do it.  No second guessing.

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 01:01:40 PM »
Downsize. Pay off EVERYTHING. Pay cash going forward. Put that "crazy times" money into a bigger retirement fund. Get to retirement even sooner. THEN have fun.

Kind of what I am doing. Downsizing the house (and mortgage), paying everything off. I am also getting rid of everything that I haven't touched in a year. Giving the kids stuff they were going to inherit anyway (this way I can see them enjoy/use it).

My issue is the retirement thing-I do not want to be one of those guys who planned to do something their whole life, then died or had a incapacitating stroke 6 months before the departure date. I would rather retire a year or two later and have it as a memory.

Mrs. Wedge is board with everything ***except the South America part, because I have not mentioned it yet.*** She does know I want to ride south, but the timeframe has not been covered. A lot of 'ifs', but at least it has kept me busy, and not using my MLC card for something stupid. Mrs. Wedge would be a long shot as a come-with, but you never know, she has her moments.
Where am I?

Offline KLRchickie

• Motorcycle Freak
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 01:25:08 PM »

My issue is the retirement thing-I do not want to be one of those guys who planned to do something their whole life, then died or had a incapacitating stroke 6 months before the departure date. I would rather retire a year or two later and have it as a memory.

We have known too many people who didn't quite (or not by a long shot...) make it to retirement to save *all* the fun for later.

ZED & I decided to circumvent having mid-life crises by working at enjoying life *now*.  We have our toys, we take some of the vacations we want, and we also put away money for the future *in case* we actually manage to live that long!  Sure, sometimes we wonder if we're "doing the right thing" - like the holiday trailer we just bought for ourselves - but at the end of the day, we manage just fine and it will all work out.

You have to decide what you are comfortable with.  I don't think the year-long sabbatical would be on *our* near future, but if it works for you - go, enjoy!
KLRchickie visitors can't see pics , please register or login

'05 KLR 650 685 street 'tard, '06 Monster S2R1000, '08 WR250X, '08 TT-R 125L, '06 TT-R 230
Rocky Mountain Motards, SuperMoto club proudly sponsored in 2016 by Zero Motorcycles!!!

Online Black Hills

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 01:26:17 PM »
life is all about balance.. ;)
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 01:55:32 PM »
life is all about balance.. ;)

That is what I was thinking. Part of it is I am tired too. I have been doing this job for 32 years, and I do enjoy it (some times more than others, and the transfer to R&D has helped), and I can see I will be doing it for a while yet. I have 3 great kids who are all on their own, and all the maintenance on everything I have I now just see as cutting into riding/living time. 

The things I own I feel are starting to own me, and I don't like it. I have heard that the 'trick' is not to own everything you want, but to want what you own. Right now I find myself happier the less things I have. (Says the guy with the BMW.) The only thing a rich man can't buy is time. There is only so much, and as you get older you have to spend it more wisely.

I reckon.
Where am I?

Online Black Hills

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 02:20:00 PM »
what works for one may not work for the other, do what's best for you and enjoy. remember none of us get out of this alive.

Offline motormike

• Motorcycles: 2007 VFR800 ABS, 2001 VFR800
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 02:28:59 PM »
If you plan for it, is it really a crisis?

Offline KLRchickie

• Motorcycle Freak
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 02:41:05 PM »
remember none of us get out of this alive.

Seems like a good spot for this...:

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

― Hunter S. Thompson
KLRchickie visitors can't see pics , please register or login

'05 KLR 650 685 street 'tard, '06 Monster S2R1000, '08 WR250X, '08 TT-R 125L, '06 TT-R 230
Rocky Mountain Motards, SuperMoto club proudly sponsored in 2016 by Zero Motorcycles!!!

Online Black Hills

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 03:08:39 PM »

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

― Hunter S. Thompson

I thought that was Indian Larry?

Offline mugwump

• Motorcycles: FJR(2), EX500, KLX 250/300 SF
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 04:55:57 PM »
The fact that you are planning means it really isn't a mid-life crisis at all. Mid-life crises are only explained after the fact with a really lame argument.

Regardless, go and enjoy yourself. ;)

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 09:15:14 AM »
The down side of discussing the logistics of doing such a thing, like putting here on a public forum, and talking with HR, and learning Spanish, is that all my wife has to now is off me and get rid of my bike. I can see the Dateline! Special Investigation now, calling in HR, "Yes, he asked me about a year long leave of absence", co-workers and IT, "yes he had info on Zihuantanjo on his computer." forum members, "yep-there it is, mid-life crisis planning." He obviously just took-off....how long until we declare him dead and get the insurance money?
Where am I?

Online melville

• Motorcycles: R75/6, Yamaha 850 (very) Special
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2014, 02:44:28 PM »
The down side of discussing the logistics of doing such a thing, like putting here on a public forum, and talking with HR, and learning Spanish, is that all my wife has to now is off me and get rid of my bike. I can see the Dateline! Special Investigation now, calling in HR, "Yes, he asked me about a year long leave of absence", co-workers and IT, "yes he had info on Zihuantanjo on his computer." forum members, "yep-there it is, mid-life crisis planning." He obviously just took-off....how long until we declare him dead and get the insurance money?

Yep.  I won't even get as far as the planning bit.  I know she'll suffocate me with a pillow, and somehow make it look like a surfing accident.  Something about overstaying my usefulness.....

I doubt I'll be in the ground very long before all the bicycles, VWs, and the bike hit CL and EBay.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2014, 02:51:31 PM »
I think he's already been ground up into bits. She's just perpetuating the mid-life-crisis issue by posting with his account.
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2014, 03:09:22 PM »
We're totally downsizing.  Sold the house, making plans to buy a trailer or build a live in garage or something equally cheap.  We did a 4 month trip around the country pulling our travel trailer and seeing the sights.  Now we're ruined
for being responsible adults.  We want a lifestyle that is conducive to just quitting for a year and hitting the road till we're bored then we can come back, get jobs for a while and save up to do it again.  :)  Good retirement plan.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2014, 04:08:45 PM »
I think he's already been ground up into bits. She's just perpetuating the mid-life-crisis issue by posting with his account.

He I am not.
Where am I?

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2014, 04:09:35 PM »
We're totally downsizing.  Sold the house, making plans to buy a trailer or build a live in garage or something equally cheap.  We did a 4 month trip around the country pulling our travel trailer and seeing the sights.  Now we're ruined
for being responsible adults.  We want a lifestyle that is conducive to just quitting for a year and hitting the road till we're bored then we can come back, get jobs for a while and save up to do it again.  :)  Good retirement plan.

That is pretty much where I would like to be.
Where am I?

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2014, 08:01:41 PM »
Fortunately for me; I can't afford a mid-life crisis.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2014, 10:25:15 PM »
Fortunately for me; I can't afford a mid-life crisis.

And how old are you?
At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday

Offline squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
  • Motorcycles: 16 Tiger Xr(x)
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2014, 10:51:53 PM »

He I am not.

:lol:

If you're in a position to do it and it's your dream, then go do it. We need someone to start a "Sold our home, quit our jobs, and went riding" thread around over here too.
A man with no sig

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2014, 06:22:13 AM »

If you're in a position to do it and it's your dream, then go do it. We need someone to start a "Sold our home, quit our jobs, and went riding" thread around over here too.

I will admit it. Gene and Neda's RR has had an influence on me, along with "Far on Small" and  JDowns's RR's.
Where am I?

Offline BMW-K

• Contributor
  • The Original ER6i Pimp
  • Motorcycles: F800GS, 765 RS, WR250R
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2014, 07:40:10 AM »
I'm in for the ride report!

PS:  if you come through SoCal, I have plenty of couch space for the journey.
IBA #:  20880
Damn.  Was that really a good idea?

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2014, 08:42:16 AM »
Likewise, Mid-Atlantic.  :thumbsup:
this signature on hold pending review

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2014, 08:50:00 AM »
My couch isn't that comfortable but i do have a spare bed.
At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday

Offline RBEmerson

• Motorcycles: "Habu", black '17 Yamaha FJR 1300ES, '03 BMW K1200RS (RIP)
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2014, 10:05:22 AM »
In a word, yes.

• You make the change and figure out that you really do want to live differently.
  • You make the change, decide it's not really all that great, and pick up a year later.
  • You make the change, it does/doesn't work, but you can't go back to where you started.
That gives at least 2/3 odds of a good move. And I think you can weight the odds to even a better chance of a good outcome by understanding why this sabbatical is important.

Even if you essentially go back to where you were, you'll probably have a better understanding of what you want to accomplish, and will approach things differently than before the sabbatical.

In the cruising (sail or motor boat) world, and in the RV world, there are a host of people who've done just what you want to do. The people who "fail" at it are usually the people with unrealistic expectations. And IMHO they probably fail almost anywhere. Some people do their sabbatical with a young child or infant, recognizing that the sabbatical won't happen once school, etc. take over. Some folks effectively drop out. And then there are folks who've worked hard and now say "it's time for us!"

My wife and I are in the last group. We haven't totally "sold the house and gone cruising", but we have some great "sailing to the Bahamas" stories and we're accumulating some nifty VW Westphalia camper van stories.  ;D

Mid-life crisis? I don't think so. It's just a recognition it's time for a change.  :)

Are you part of the solution or part of the precipitate?

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2014, 10:19:52 AM »
In a word, yes.

• You make the change and figure out that you really do want to live differently.
  • You make the change, decide it's not really all that great, and pick up a year later.
  • You make the change, it does/doesn't work, but you can't go back to where you started.
That gives at least 2/3 odds of a good move. And I think you can weight the odds to even a better chance of a good outcome by understanding why this sabbatical is important.

Even if you essentially go back to where you were, you'll probably have a better understanding of what you want to accomplish, and will approach things differently than before the sabbatical.

In the cruising (sail or motor boat) world, and in the RV world, there are a host of people who've done just what you want to do. The people who "fail" at it are usually the people with unrealistic expectations. And IMHO they probably fail almost anywhere. Some people do their sabbatical with a young child or infant, recognizing that the sabbatical won't happen once school, etc. take over. Some folks effectively drop out. And then there are folks who've worked hard and now say "it's time for us!"

My wife and I are in the last group. We haven't totally "sold the house and gone cruising", but we have some great "sailing to the Bahamas" stories and we're accumulating some nifty VW Westphalia camper van stories.  ;D

Mid-life crisis? I don't think so. It's just a recognition it's time for a change.  :)

Well-thought response. Thank you. It reminded me of Hectogliders' post in the "Far on Small" thread:

"Being " on the road " will change you. Short trips with homesickness and a quick return to the usual routine will not bring about the difference. It's the longer journey, where you have slashed away the tentacles of modern day living, to enter into an open ended freedom, that's when the change takes place. Your thinking changes.
After a while your thoughts are no longer connected to anything to do with home, work, and to a lesser extent , family. Your thinking becomes centered around the day to day necessities of living from the seat of your motorcycle.
In many ways its a state of real freedom, perhaps it's a variant of the freedom being sold when you see some motorcycle advertisements.
To be free, to wander with the contours of the land and the patterns of the weather. You meet other traveler's along the way, and they mostly all share this same state of mind, the almost dream like immersion into the journey, with its challenges , frustrations and amazing moments so rewarding that only those that have been on the road for a long time can know and acknowledge with a glazed over expression as far away places are described in detail.
Then one day you realize the road has changed you. The places you have been, the people you have met and the way others live so far away from your home that you have witnessed first hand, so ingrained and burnt into your memory permanently . You cannot be the person you were when you left home so long ago. You were there. You saw it. You can go home, but you cannot "go back" to who you were before the long ride.
You were on the road. Now the road is on you. "

Maybe you can't go back once you go, at least not totally. But that could be okay..

So where does one find Westphalia Camper stories? :)
Where am I?

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2014, 02:08:17 AM »
Glad to be of some help.

Westy stories? We just got back from 4000 miles around the SE US. Westy stories? We got Westy stories.  :bigsmile:

Offline Nodaclu

• Contributor
  • Motorcycling career on hold...
  • Motorcycles: Pending...
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2014, 02:41:45 PM »
I'm struggling with this very thing right now. I lost my dad last month at just 68 years of age. By the time he retired, he was too sick to enjoy the fruits of his 38 years of (hard) labor.

I'm in good health right now, but I'm mindful of the fact that I'm the only living male left in my family. All but one died before the age of 72, some *much* earlier.

I'm 44 and haven't saved a penny for retirement, but I've finally landed a decent paying job and can start doing something about that in the next few months. I can also plainly see that I can go one of two ways from this point:

1. Save like hell for the next 16 years, and have a decent retirement. But will I be sick and worn down/out at 60 like my dad was? Will I even make it to 60 based on family history?

2. Pull up stakes, travel, work enough to survive, and figure the rest out in my 60's/70's/80's. But how the hell do I live when I get past the age where anyone will hire me to do anything?

Stangely, *both* of them seem irresponsible to me in completely different ways. The first one is potentially irresponsible to myself, the second is irresponsible to society.

My dad was a big reason why I started trying to do it the old fashioned way the past few years. With his passing, those expectations are gone as well, and I'm left to wonder just how much of a gypsy I truly am. ;)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle...

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2014, 04:29:22 PM »
Bummer to hear the family life concerns.

IMO - moderation in all aspects of life, and that includes moderation.  Mix the fine line of enjoying life as you live life would be my thought (vs. work hard and only play once retirement hits - if you get to retirement).

From my oddly placed 4-month U.S. trip, the underlying thread that kept coming up by talking with people I'd meet - do it, do it now before you are unable to.

As for me, I hope to not retire. I hope to keep working, with occasional playing, up until the day I can't do either.
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2014, 07:37:34 PM »
I'm struggling with this very thing right now. I lost my dad last month at just 68 years of age. By the time he retired, he was too sick to enjoy the fruits of his 38 years of (hard) labor.

I'm in good health right now, but I'm mindful of the fact that I'm the only living male left in my family. All but one died before the age of 72, some *much* earlier.

I know how you feel. My dad passed when he was 49, and I was 18. I started thinking about that when I hit my 49th year. My mom just touched retirement, but not by much. Moderation is a great idea, but very hard to achieve.

We could discuss this further over a couple of cervezas in, say, Zipolite?
Where am I?

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2014, 09:33:26 PM »

I'm 44 and haven't saved a penny for retirement, but I've finally landed a decent paying job and can start doing something about that in the next few months. I can also plainly see that I can go one of two ways from this point:

1. Save like hell for the next 16 years, and have a decent retirement. But will I be sick and worn down/out at 60 like my dad was? Will I even make it to 60 based on family history?

2. Pull up stakes, travel, work enough to survive, and figure the rest out in my 60's/70's/80's. But how the hell do I live when I get past the age where anyone will hire me to do anything?

Stangely, *both* of them seem irresponsible to me in completely different ways. The first one is potentially irresponsible to myself, the second is irresponsible to society.

My dad was a big reason why I started trying to do it the old fashioned way the past few years. With his passing, those expectations are gone as well, and I'm left to wonder just how much of a gypsy I truly am. ;)

I'm a year younger than your father. In general I count myself as reasonably healthy, with good numbers for BP, etc. OTOH, I have a chronic nerve issue (trigeminal neuralgia - pain you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy) that's now under control with meds. Five years ago I underwent surgery for the removal of a pituitary adenoma - located behind the eyes; close to brain surgery). Without decent health care insurance, I'd lose all vision to the adenoma as it presses against the optic nerves, and the neuralgia would leave me a total wreck (think of Pavlov's dog being shocked violently for no obvious reason at any time, day or night). NTL, I still think of myself as still basically "invincible " but knowing that at any minute s*** can happen. As when the dermatologist found a minor spot of skin cancer on my back. It's gone; all I have is a small dent in my back and a "come back every six months" order. Plan 2 isn't going to help you a bit.

Plan 1 is really the better option. But don't work and save like hell for your retirement. 16+ years of being up to your neck in s*** so you can retire with an IRA is no way to live. Figure out what lets you do something you care about and which gives you some security on day 1 of year 17. 

From a financial point, starting to build some sort of retirement cushion at age 44 is leaving it a little late. Do your homework and get some reliable advice on how to proceed. The train hasn't left the station altogether, but the last car or two is going by and it's time to get on board while you can.

Finally, there is nothing certain in this life but that life is a terminal condition. There is no guarantee you will live to have a satisfying retirement. There is no guarantee you won't live to have a satisfying retirement. But the odds of having a satisfying retirement aren't very good if you follow plan 2 and leave things in the laps of the gods.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 10:01:42 PM by RBEmerson »

Offline Nodaclu

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2014, 11:58:52 PM »
Thanks guys....I really appreciate your thoughts, and I'm definitely taking them under advisement. :)

Sorry for derailing your thread a bit Max... ;)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle...

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2014, 07:55:39 AM »
Sorry for derailing your thread a bit Max... ;)

It's all good!  :bigok:
Where am I?

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2014, 02:00:38 PM »
Update: Selling our home, keeping my job, going riding.

House goes up for sale today. Most of my stuff is gone. Rode to work-still have that.....for now. Not jumping in like Gene and Neda, Mrs. Wedge hasn't totally ('partially' might even be stretching it) warmed up to the idea yet, so I am taking baby steps. Either way, retirement should be sooner, and looking forward to more riding and f***ing around time.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 06:23:03 AM by Max Wedge »
Where am I?

Offline lightcycle

• Nomad
    • RideDOT.com
  • Motorcycles: R1200GS
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2014, 09:24:06 PM »

Copyright infringement!

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2014, 06:21:14 AM »

Copyright infringement!

:lol: Hahaha :lol:

Wow Gene! Your staff of lawyers at the "Gene and Neda's Emporium of Intellectual Property Rights" are like pit-bulls! How did you ever find that on this lil 'ol site? Those guys running around in black suits and sunglasses in front of my house trying to serve papers sure gave Mrs. Wedge a fright.

Where am I?

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2014, 08:10:16 AM »

House goes up for sale today. Most of my stuff is gone. Rode to work-still have that.....for now. Not jumping in like Gene and Neda, Mrs. Wedge hasn't totally ('partially' might even be stretching it) warmed up to the idea yet, so I am taking baby steps. Either way, retirement should be sooner, and looking forward to more riding and f***ing around time.

Best of luck with the change.  :)

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2014, 08:18:22 AM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
this signature on hold pending review

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2014, 10:41:35 AM »
So I just got back from HR....asking if someone, could be anyone, wanted a 1 year leave of absence, how that would work, say, if that someone wanted to ride their motorcycle to Tierra del Fuego or something like that. The question is going to the board meeting next week-so that if someone did ask, she would know what to say. Totally hypothetical.

Mrs. Wedge and I discussed this over dinner last night-she was on her second glass of wine-and the conversation was...interesting. More to come...

Hey Gene! You still in Ecuador?
Where am I?

Offline lightcycle

• Nomad
    • RideDOT.com
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2014, 09:53:29 AM »
The blog is very behind  :( and we're not in Ecuador. Are you planning on visiting us soon? If you leave now, you'll probably catch up to us in a few weeks time...  ;D

Offline Nodaclu

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2014, 01:07:49 PM »
So I just got back from HR....asking if someone, could be anyone, wanted a 1 year leave of absence, how that would work, say, if that someone wanted to ride their motorcycle to Tierra del Fuego or something like that. The question is going to the board meeting next week-so that if someone did ask, she would know what to say. Totally hypothetical.

Mrs. Wedge and I discussed this over dinner last night-she was on her second glass of wine-and the conversation was...interesting. More to come...

This is starting to get verrrrry interesting!  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2014, 11:19:58 AM »
  So....we signed the papers to list our house, got all the pictures taken, ready to go. We decided to have a celebratory steak dinner, and not mess up the house. Mrs. Wedge was on her second glass of wine when I decided to broach the subject, seeing as she was concerned if our house sold, and new one wasn't found. I said there is another option....and laid out my plans. She said, "What would you do if I said yes? You'd never quit your job." I reminded her I never said I would quit, just take a leave of absence. She hesitated. "Leave of absence is for child-birth and things like that." "Not true. There is nothing set in stone." "That amount of money wouldn't get us very far."

This is where I made my fatal mistake. "It will if we camp and stay in hostels and..."  Hostels. I know she has never seen or heard about the movie by the same name, so I wasn't concerned, but none the less, she physically recoiled at the word. "I'm not leaving the country."

Then it got worse. "You can go if you want to, just leave your wedding ring at home." This can be taken to mean a lot of things. In that short span I considered them all. "And tell me which one of your kids you want to have it when we recover your body." Ah. Okay. Now I know where this is coming from.

She can be adventurous at times, and it surprises me when she decides to jump in. She doesn't do it as much anymore, and this was a big one. She might change her mind. I don't know. Either way, I am still heading on with the plan to downsize the house and things, seeing what will happen when the house sells and what I hear from HR. If it doesn't go that way, I can still plan to do a Jon Downs style trip, which might be the best compromise, and maybe achieve that sense of balance.

Hey Gene-if you check here-was Neda always on-board with this idea? Were you? When did you both sync up on the plan?
Where am I?

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2014, 12:30:58 PM »
Hey Gene-if you check here-was Neda always on-board with this idea? Were you? When did you both sync up on the plan?

Not speaking for Gene and/or Neda in any way; but making a few observations.
1. Gene and Neda don't have any kids.
2. They're younger than you and Mrs. Wedge. (my assumption since I don't know any of y'alls ages)
3. Gene and Neda both ride and were riding long before their epic trip.
These are major differences imho. Not that they can't be overcome.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2014, 01:02:06 PM »

Not speaking for Gene and/or Neda in any way; but making a few observations.
1. Gene and Neda don't have any kids.
2. They're younger than you and Mrs. Wedge. (my assumption since I don't know any of y'alls ages)
3. Gene and Neda both ride and were riding long before their epic trip.
These are major differences imho. Not that they can't be overcome.

Fair observations...
1. Last kid just moved out. It's different, but still "free-ing".
2. Got me there. I am certain Gene and Neda are <50. I am not, but as of this writing, neither is Mrs. Wedge.
3. I have been riding since I was 18, Mrs. Wedge sporadically since 2000. "But", she would be riding pillion. (3.5-we would be doing this two-up.)
4. Actual route destination has not been laid out, we might only make it as far as Cabo in a year. That would be okay. I could show Gene what a slow pace really is.  8)
Where am I?

Offline lightcycle

• Nomad
    • RideDOT.com
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2014, 11:10:41 AM »

Neda actually likes touring more than I do (I'm a track guy). She was always on-board with this idea. We got our motorcycle licenses in 2004, and later that same year, Long Way Round came out. I know people rag on Ewan and Charlie all the time, but we started biking long after Ted Simon, so to our "generation" they were our inspiration for moto-travel.

The seeds of this trip were planted while watching LWR. We just looked at each other and started talking out loud about "what if?" and "wouldn't it be cool?" We had just gotten our licenses and we were so into motorcycles, we wanted to do everything and anything on two wheels... and we eventually did! ;D But a "cut-the-strings" journey like that remained just a pipe dream.

It wasn't until the end of our month-long trip in Europe when we met a guy at Munich airport shipping his motorcycle back to England. He had just ridden for 9 months, going from Argentina to Alaska. It was at that moment that we started thinking it was really possible for normal people, and not just rich actors, to do this kind of thing.

You might even have read our musings back in 2007, since I posted the link to our blog on Sport-Touring.Net:

http://www.ridedot.com/euro/081707.html (see last paragraph!)

So, we got the idea in 2004, started planning in 2007, and finally got the guts to officially announce it to my parents in 2011, and then you throw this challenge down:

I could show Gene what a slow pace really is.

:o :P  ;D

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2014, 11:22:18 AM »
I think my seeds need some more water.  :P

From Gene's blog:
"The train ride back to Munich had us discussing what it would take to do a motorcycle tour for over year, possibly two, that would take us around Europe (properly this time), Eastern-Europe, Africa and Asia, and even back to the Americas (south and central). It probably won't happen for a few years, but I think we're both committed to this idea. Last year, after riding to California and back, the seeds were planted for this Europe trip. Now, at the end of this trip, we've got to up the stakes again. "Ride The World", indeed!"

Not there yet, but I am working on plan B, ... and enjoying now.

Also got word from HR. There is no such thing as a one year leave of absence. They would not hold my job. I really didn't think they would, and I didn't expect them too, but when I returned I was hoping to preserve my vacation time/benefits package. It may be negotiable, I think, depending on the local job market.

Where am I?