Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Deck Restore Paint  (Read 3280 times)

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
Deck Restore Paint
« on: May 12, 2014, 11:56:41 AM »
Does anyone have any experience with deck restore paint with their wooden decks?  Sheri and I are tired of the bi-annual treatment, splintering, cracks, etc... of our current deck.  On paper, this stuff looks perfect.

I've read mixed reviews with way more positive than negative. 

I'd value anyone's opinion here who may have experience with this type of product.

I.E.

http://www.behr.com/consumer/products/wood-stains-finishes-cleaners-and-strippers/behr-solid-color-deckover-stain

http://www.olympic.com/products/olympic-rescue-it-wood-and-concrete-resurfacer

Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHLZ-TdMOsk
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 12:09:52 PM by R Doug »
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
Re: Deck Restore Paint
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 12:32:12 PM »
been thinking about this stuff too...

Online KLRchickie

• Motorcycle Freak
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 12:33:35 PM »
How big is the deck?

Consider Trex, or similar other composite decking material.  $$ up front, but zero maintenance going forward.  We have a 10'x10' Trex deck coming off our kitchen door, leading down on two sides to two different levels of brick patios.  We love it!
KLRchickie visitors can't see pics , please register or login

'05 KLR 650 685 street 'tard, '06 Monster S2R1000, '08 WR250X, '08 TT-R 125L, '06 TT-R 230
Rocky Mountain Motards, SuperMoto club proudly sponsored in 2016 by Zero Motorcycles!!!

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 12:35:09 PM »
Our deck is 15' x 32'.  We've looking into Trex, but it's going to cost us a pretty penny.  So, we thought we'd try this first.   :redface:

The cost of Trex (installed) can run up to $25 PSF.  At 480 sq. ft., that's well over $10,000 for our sized deck.   :o

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 12:42:19 PM »
My wife was looking into that stuff and saw enough negative reviews that we decided to continue using regular stain every year.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 12:48:07 PM »
Our deck is 15' x 32'.  We've looking into Trex, but it's going to cost us a pretty penny.  So, we thought we'd try this first.   :redface:

The cost of Trex (installed) can run up to $25 PSF.  At 480 sq. ft., that's well over $10,000 for our sized deck.   :o

When we redid our deck last year, the contractor said, if you have dogs, you do NOT want composite decking.  Dog claws mark it easily and it can't be easily fixed aside from replacement.

Online KLRchickie

• Motorcycle Freak
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 12:51:57 PM »
We built the deck ourselves five-ish years ago, and yes - the surface itself cost us $1000.  We are very happy with the product and would do it again, no question.  Re-paint/stain/whatevering was really getting old...

One of the main negatives I've seen written about the stuff is the fading - the literature *tells* you it will fade, quickly, and it does - into the colour we actually wanted ;D.  We did our homework on that one.  The only actual negative I can think of is that it scratches easily with a snow shovel - so we tend to use a broom and all is well.
KLRchickie visitors can't see pics , please register or login

'05 KLR 650 685 street 'tard, '06 Monster S2R1000, '08 WR250X, '08 TT-R 125L, '06 TT-R 230
Rocky Mountain Motards, SuperMoto club proudly sponsored in 2016 by Zero Motorcycles!!!

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 12:54:46 PM »
We built the deck ourselves five-ish years ago, and yes - the surface itself cost us $1000.  We are very happy with the product and would do it again, no question.  Re-paint/stain/whatevering was really getting old...

One of the main negatives I've seen written about the stuff is the fading - the literature *tells* you it will fade, quickly, and it does - into the colour we actually wanted ;D.  We did our homework on that one.  The only actual negative I can think of is that it scratches easily with a snow shovel - so we tend to use a broom and all is well.

I like that.  Just hose off and go!   :bigok:
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 01:27:48 PM by R Doug »

Offline Dan K

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '10 VFR 1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 02:45:19 PM »
I'll follow this one. I have a large deck in the back, and I'd like to avoid having to retreat it too. I saw a commercial for this stuff. SO does it work?
Sometimes, the only answer is defenestration.

Offline stray cat

• Motorcycles: Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 03:12:04 PM »
I had the Behr solid stain on the deck when I bought the house and it was the worse crap I have every seen. Lasted less then a year and looked like ass.
Stripped it all off and restained with Olympic semi transparent and it's been two years and it still look good.

Offline Dan K

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '10 VFR 1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 03:19:43 PM »
THis stuff apparently has a 10 year maintenance free date...what do you do with it then? CAn you just add another coat?

Bad reviews...one good one at the end...

http://www.deckstainhelp.com/behr-deckover-olympic-rescue-it-rust-oleum-deck-restore-do-they-work/
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 03:32:56 PM by Dan K »
Sometimes, the only answer is defenestration.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 03:52:31 PM »
Timely.  My wife has been researching it and we just had a conversation about this last night.  Our deck is very tired.  We are going to paint it to get a few more years out of it, then go with TREX.  The deck is more of just a way to get to the pool, so it's not big.

That said every she has been reading says DO NO use Behr.  Very poor reviews all over, especially on the DIY sites.  I had a buddy that used it two years ago and spent the next few weeks stripping it and starting over.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.