Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Advice on the Virginia Tidewater area  (Read 3253 times)

Online radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
Advice on the Virginia Tidewater area
« on: May 08, 2014, 07:43:55 AM »
Any of you STO.ner's hailing from the Va Beach area?  My wife and I are home shopping down that way and had been primarily looking in western Va Beach areas, but stumbled on a home that we really like in Chesapeake (Greenbrier East).

We're just not too familiar with the area compared to the other locations that we've been shopping in.   Any advice out there?

Offline SuperHans

• Contributor
Re: Advice on the Virginia Tidewater area
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 11:21:47 AM »
It's been a long time since I've been down in that area. Are you in the military?

Online radon222

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 11:23:49 AM »
Nope...but my step-son is, and that's where the grandkids live.    And Grandma wants to be closer to them.

You know the old saying...Happy Wife and all.   

Offline DNA

• Motorcycles: BMG 1200GSAdv
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 06:51:11 PM »
How long will he be there?

Sad to move to be there with them only to have them transferred out in 3 years...
You may find yourself living in a shotgun shack  -You may find yourself in another part of the world
You may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile- You may find yourself in a beautiful house with a beautiful wife-
You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?

Online radon222

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 07:16:47 PM »
That's not a real fear. It's a fairly safe bet that this will be his last billet until retirement.  He's a real team player if you know what I mean.

Offline Royal Tiger

• Deutsche Rüstungs-Abteilung
  • Motorcycles: See Signature
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 09:36:21 PM »
How far away is North Carolina?  I'd never live in Virginia, but that's just me.  I also will never move back to New Jersey.  There are certain states that just don't exist as a future home to me.

My aunt and uncle moved from Florida to Virginia after being down there for over 20 years and wanting to be closer to family which is still all in NJ except for my parents who got smart and fled the People's Republic and moved to PA in 2001.  They moved back to Florida within 2 years.
~Dan

2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge * 2005 BMW R1200ST * 2003 Yamaha PW80

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 06:20:44 AM »
F Virginia!
this signature on hold pending review

Offline Royal Tiger

• Deutsche Rüstungs-Abteilung
  • Motorcycles: See Signature
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 12:37:16 PM »
~Dan

2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge * 2005 BMW R1200ST * 2003 Yamaha PW80

Online radon222

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 07:13:19 AM »
Wait a minute...what's that you say Mr. State Inspector at Adventure BMW... Moto-lights won't pass?!?!

F Virginia!

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 07:21:46 AM »
Virginia State Motto:  "F You Back!"

Offline MrsCablebandit

• Purveyor of Cookies.org
    • Pineapple Ponderings
  • Motorcycles: '10 C14 Passenger
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 07:34:45 AM »
One of my best friends moved to Chesapeake two years ago. She loves it (her husband and boys do, too). They're right off the Elizabeth River (off River Walk Parkway) and commute to ODU each day. I visited them last summer and it's beautiful down there. While she drove me around, she was trying to sell me on the idea of relocating...even going so far as to point out a few houses in her neighborhood that were for sale "with nice, big backyards for Oscar!" I gave her an A+ for effort!

It is quite lovely down there and I could definitely live the coastal lifestyle in a heartbeat. Mr. CB, OTOH, isn't exactly down with the idea. Plus the riding would be "meh" in the immediate area.

What specific questions do you have? I can pass them on and see what she says. Maybe best to do by PM?
I used to make a bigger impression.

http://pineappleponderings.blogspot.com/ - Ride reports and other musings.

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 07:41:17 AM »
I was stationed down in VaBeachVa in the 70's and didn't much care for it.

Online radon222

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 08:04:57 AM »
One of my best friends moved to Chesapeake two years ago. She loves it (her husband and boys do, too). They're right off the Elizabeth River (off River Walk Parkway) and commute to ODU each day. I visited them last summer and it's beautiful down there. While she drove me around, she was trying to sell me on the idea of relocating...even going so far as to point out a few houses in her neighborhood that were for sale "with nice, big backyards for Oscar!" I gave her an A+ for effort!

It is quite lovely down there and I could definitely live the coastal lifestyle in a heartbeat. Mr. CB, OTOH, isn't exactly down with the idea. Plus the riding would be "meh" in the immediate area.

What specific questions do you have? I can pass them on and see what she says. Maybe best to do by PM?

Thanks for the offer MrsC.

But we're here now.  We found a home in VB near the Chesapeake/VB line and only a 10 min drive to the grandkids.    We've been down here since just after Memorial Day and in the new house for almost a month now.  We're liking the area so far, but I am going to miss the near immediate access to good riding roads, but there may be couple of good roads around here somewhere.