Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Discussion on the future of 3D printing  (Read 3170 times)

Offline spinalator

• Motorcycles: XT1200Z
Discussion on the future of 3D printing
« on: May 06, 2014, 02:18:35 PM »
It seems like a lot of people are excited about this. I have been following discussion on the Mars settlement groups and some of them feel like we are not terribly far off using some sort of this tech. to develop infrastructure on the red planet, and possibly here, if we have to.

I do not know much about it, anyone here have practical experience with this technology?

3d Printer Story

Using a mixture of construction waste (a mixture of sand, concrete and glass fiber) and concrete for printing material, a single-story, one-room house can be printed for less than $5,000.

Using a 6.6-meter-tall, 32-meter-long industrial printer a Chinese company is using 3D-printing technology to build cheap housing for modernizing housing conditions in Chinese villages.

3D House Printer Video

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
Re: Discussion on the future of 3D printing
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 02:24:28 PM »
I don't know much about it, but the little I have been around it I am impressed. a friend is an engineer for a MC/ATV aftermarket company and he prints his products to try them for fit, etc. pretty impressive and a lot cheaper than machining.
I believe someone has printed and fired a 1911 .45 ACP so the possibilities seem endless.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 - ORANGE!!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 02:32:36 PM »
That's how Jeff Dunham did Achmed's son's head. 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 02:38:32 PM »
The key to 3D printing is ALL in the design.  It will revolutionize manufacturing in the future.  Double edged sword however.  Not many workers needed in a farm of 3D printers, printing out engine parts, tools and composite furniture...

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 02:44:48 PM »
The key to 3D printing is ALL in the design.  It will revolutionize manufacturing in the future.  Double edged sword however.  Not many workers needed in a farm of 3D printers, printing out engine parts, tools and composite furniture...

true, but when some doors close others open.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R) ... Indian Scout (RIP)
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 03:02:27 PM »
Here's a pretty good article;
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/10-industries-3d-printing-will-disrupt-or-decimate/#.

Mass production seems to be a ways off yet.

I'm not going to be anywhere near first in line for 3D printed food.   I had 'tacos' in Japan;  they sure looked like taco's, but they certainly did NOT taste like taco's, and all the textures were off too.

I like the idea of being able to make (or have made) any part for any product you own.  This becomes even better if we'll be able to upgrade any part.  The original failed, make the replacement better.

I see a market for community 'printing' shops that have multiple printers of various capacities.

Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • Motorcycles: 03 SV1000s, 08 ZG1400
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 04:37:03 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 10:42:54 PM »

I see a market for community 'printing' shops that have multiple printers of various capacities.

There's just such a place about a mile from my house.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Offline spinalator

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 10:48:42 PM »
Are the composites all plastics and glass for strong items, I assume on Mars you have soil and minerals, possibly ice at the poles?

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 10:55:11 PM »
Interesting vid of a building.

I envision a time where localities will have 3D "manufacturing" sites. Products will be made locally for pickup. No shipping of finished product across the globe.
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Offline spinalator

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 11:19:34 AM »
I envision a time where localities will have 3D "manufacturing" sites. Products will be made locally for pickup. No shipping of finished product across the globe.

Only shipping of parts to repair the printers!

Offline stew71

• Contributor
  • Hey...don't act like you're not impressed.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Triumph Tiger
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 12:13:27 PM »

I'm not going to be anywhere near first in line for 3D printed food.   I had 'tacos' in Japan;  they sure looked like taco's, but they certainly did NOT taste like taco's, and all the textures were off too.

NASA is experimenting with 3-D printers to create food for long duration missions.

http://www.nasa.gov/directorates/spacetech/home/feature_3d_food_prt.htm
With enough thrust, a pig flies just fine.