Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: EOE: DIY termite prevention  (Read 4097 times)

Offline cultureslayer

• Motorcycles: 1989 ninja 250
EOE: DIY termite prevention
« on: May 05, 2014, 10:30:38 AM »
Our house doesn't have termites, and being in the south I feel that we need to do something to keep it that way.  Termite companies want over a grand for the initial treatment and a couple hundred a year to stop by and say hello (shouldn't need re-treatment for 10 years if done right).  I can buy the chemicals to DIY for about $100.  Anyone that's done this before and have any advice to offer?  I've worked in bio labs, so precise mixing and measuring isn't a problem.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/taurus-sc-termiticide-p-1816.html
Lauren

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
Re: EOE: DIY termite prevention
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 11:19:51 AM »
If you're termite free now, clear untreated wood from around the house, you can get DIY treatment at Home Depot/Lowes. Spray around the base of the house, on the ground for 4-6 feet from the wall and the lower edge of where the concrete meets the siding on the house.  If there's no wood around the house to get started on, you'll likely only have to retreat every 5 years or so to stay termite free.

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 11:32:07 AM »
buy an anteater
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 02:57:41 PM »
Alternatively, you could infest your house deliberately with termites, thus freeing you up from the worry of any future infestation.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Offline cultureslayer

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 03:21:44 PM »
If you're termite free now, clear untreated wood from around the house, you can get DIY treatment at Home Depot/Lowes. Spray around the base of the house, on the ground for 4-6 feet from the wall and the lower edge of where the concrete meets the siding on the house.  If there's no wood around the house to get started on, you'll likely only have to retreat every 5 years or so to stay termite free.
The stuff I linked to is the same thing the pros use.  If I got it the only difference would be about $900 saved to have to dig a 6"x6" trench around the house, then fill it back it. It's not that big a house and shouldn't be more than a long afternoon's worth of work.
Lauren

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 04:27:41 PM »
The stuff I linked to is the same thing the pros use.  If I got it the only difference would be about $900 saved to have to dig a 6"x6" trench around the house, then fill it back it. It's not that big a house and shouldn't be more than a long afternoon's worth of work.

A 6" X 6" trench around the house = an afternoon's work?

Please video.

Also, find out what kinda safety gear you may need to use while dispersing that stuff . . . . .
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Online Meemuh

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '91 Nighthawk.
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 05:37:57 PM »
We don't have termites, but carpenter ants were a real bitch here.  The crap I could buy wouldn't touch them, so I bit the bullet and have the ant-man come out every quarter to the tune of 360 a year.  Best 360 I spend on this house.  Of course we were already over-run before we called them...maybe the store bought stuff will be fine for prevention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cultureslayer

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 06:56:23 PM »

Please video.

Also, find out what kinda safety gear you may need to use while dispersing that stuff . . . . .
The chemical is the same thing that's used in Frontline (the stuff you put on your pet's skin).  I'd use all safety precautions, but since it's a chemical I'm exposed to anyway that's not really my concern.  I'm more concerned about some "professional" improperly applying another more dangerous chemical.

I should mention that we're going to rent a bobcat or trench digger at some point in the near future to install a french drain, so we could probably get most of it with that.  Almost all the bushes near the house are dead (or so overgrown it's just easier to remove them and put in new ones), so no digging around them.  With a trench digger it shouldn't take long. ;)
Lauren

Offline marc11

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 07:36:09 AM »
We don't have termites, but carpenter ants were a real bitch here.  The crap I could buy wouldn't touch them, so I bit the bullet and have the ant-man come out every quarter to the tune of 360 a year.  Best 360 I spend on this house.  Of course we were already over-run before we called them...maybe the store bought stuff will be fine for prevention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here. Our house got them and they were a bitch to get rid of. Now three times a year a guy comes and sprays. Keeps us not only ant free but takes care of bees and spiders too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 08:29:27 AM »

Please video.

The chemical is the same thing that's used in Frontline (the stuff you put on your pet's skin).  I'd use all safety precautions, but since it's a chemical I'm exposed to anyway that's not really my concern.  I'm more concerned about some "professional" improperly applying another more dangerous chemical.

I should mention that we're going to rent a bobcat or trench digger at some point in the near future to install a french drain, so we could probably get most of it with that.  Almost all the bushes near the house are dead (or so overgrown it's just easier to remove them and put in new ones), so no digging around them.  With a trench digger it shouldn't take long. ;)

There are walk behind trenchers that are much more facile around buildings and such for trenching.  Be extremely careful, it is easy to go 4 feet deep with them in seconds.  Last thing you want to do is cut your water line, powerline, fiber optic cable, etc to save time.  Bobcats are great, but if you're not experienced with them, it is easy to accidentally crash into things with them.

Offline tyrroneous

• Motorcycles: Daytona 675, SV650 (wifes) and some dirt bikes.
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 11:36:50 AM »
Not sure about every state, but I know that purchasing and applying certain pesticides and herbicides here in MS requires a special license.   The license is fairly easy to get (4 hr class) but it is still one more thing to deal with.    Again, you might be able to purchase and apply phenylpyrazole class insecticides all day long without an issue in your neck of the woods, but that is not the case everywhere.