Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commuting-No Regrets  (Read 4592 times)

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
Commuting-No Regrets
« on: May 02, 2014, 06:34:52 AM »
 I looked out of the garage this morning, it was 45 degrees, dark gray skies, blustery, misty. I knew this afternoon was calling for thunder showers. "Screw it," I thought, "with the winter I survived this year, I would have killed for a day this nice. I'm riding." 15 minutes into my 60 minute commute, a nice drizzle started, and followed me the rest of the way to work. My gear kept me dry and warm, and I had the bike parking area all to myself.

I started to think to myself, "Am I glad I rode in today?" "Yes, I am. Furthermore, I don't think I have ever regretted riding in to work. There have been some days where it may not have been my wisest choice, but I don't regret one trip."

In fact, I am grateful for the chance to spend at least two hours of today in the saddle. A wise man once said, "The trick is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have."
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Offline Wesley

• Motorcycles: Yes
Re: Commuting-No Regrets
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 07:22:33 AM »
Hear, hear!  Well said.

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 07:24:46 AM »
I get grumpy if I can't get out to ride. I'm feeling it now. With the 'busa in pieces right now (waiting on wheel bearings), I'm in the truck and have been for 2 weeks. I can't even get on the bicycle as it's been colder than I like for riding. I'm even thinking of just buying the coils I need for the Transalp just to fix the failing coil problem.

:bluduh: :bluduh:

When I get the 'busa back together (hopefully tomorrow), I'll be out for a nice long ride.

Carl
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 No matter where you go, there you are.

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 08:31:25 AM »
I get grumpy if I can't get out to ride. I'm feeling it now.

+1
this signature on hold pending review

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 08:43:47 AM »
Did the same on Tuesday. Raw drizzle. Felt alive.

Sent from the Moto X. A wicked awesome phone.

“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

― Frank Zappa

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 09:09:46 AM »
I have never wished for a longer commute when in the truck. I can't say that about the bike.
Where am I?

Offline SuperHans

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 01:11:04 PM »
I changed jobs recently and am down to a 3 mile commute. It's great getting up later and getting home earlier, but I miss the longer motorcycle commutes. When it's cold out it's not even worth taking the bike, it would take me longer to put on my cold weather gear than to ride to work. Not to mention the bike would never even get up to temp.

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 01:16:06 PM »
If I had a 3 mile commute I would walk or bicycle. 3 miles isn't even worth firing the car up for!  :D
Where am I?

Offline SuperHans

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 01:48:55 PM »
If I didnt like to sleep so much I would get up earlier and do the same thing. :P

Offline Jay547

• Motorcycles: Yamaha FJ-09, Honda CRF450L, Honda CR250, Yamaha AT-125, Suzuki DR200
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 03:26:31 PM »
With the 'busa in pieces right now (waiting on wheel bearings), I'm in the truck

I have a couple dual-sports that I use as back ups. In fact, I rode in on the DR650 today just for a change. My commute is about 38 miles round trip. Over the course of the year, I probably average riding four days a week. Some will claim commuting doesn't count as riding but I enjoy it and do it as much as possible. I don't ride to work in the rain, but if it's dry in the morning and forecasting rain later, I will usually ride anyway.

40 degrees this morning. Should be lower 70's on the way home.  :)

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 03:44:14 PM »
I changed jobs recently and am down to a 3 mile commute. It's great getting up later and getting home earlier, but I miss the longer motorcycle commutes. When it's cold out it's not even worth taking the bike, it would take me longer to put on my cold weather gear than to ride to work. Not to mention the bike would never even get up to temp.

^My problem.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline Dan K

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '10 VFR 1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 03:45:43 PM »
When it's cold and wet, I'm happy that I took my car. Yes, I get grumpy when I don't get to ride, and commuting feels like 95% of my riding, lately, but unless I've gone a week or more without riding, fuck the bad weather. I ride to enjoy myself, and after getting blown across my lane, sliding in the wet to the right while I'm leaning left into the wind just to go straight? I'll avoid that whenever I can.

Although signing on here reminds me I'd sure like to go for a ride...

- DAn
Sometimes, the only answer is defenestration.

Offline rgbeard

• Motorcycles: '01 Triumph Speed Triple, '03 GSXR 1000
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 06:47:15 PM »
I no longer have a commute-job, and am home-officed.  I sold my commutasaurus, and don't regret the move.

Commuting on the bike was better than not riding.  But not commuting, and having all my riding be elective/pleasure riding is better. 
IBA: 63413

Online slayman

• Motorcycles: 05 ZZR 1200, 84 GPZ 550 (not running)
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 08:29:10 PM »
I opt out too often. Lately it's because I go to the gym on the way home from work and dragging my stuff along is a hassle. But when I do ride I usually take a fun route:
Blue is the ride in, green is the ride home. The gym is along the boring orange route.
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=213752974388890195063.0004de6741a1fc45631ff&msa=0&hl=en&dg=feature

"James Bond killed many men with a .380 and that's all I need to know." Cookie 2015-02-12

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 01:53:12 AM »
wusses
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2014, 07:59:38 AM »
Ya know, to each their own. I t would be nice to have a bike with low miles for cross-country trips. Squared off tires and stuff covered in road grime, and wear and tear are definitely downsides. It is easier to take the truck. I find that I have been rewarded each time I took the few extra minutes to gear up and ride.
Where am I?

Online stevent

• Motorcycles: 2010 K1300GT
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2014, 11:46:49 AM »
Ya know, to each their own. I t would be nice to have a bike with low miles for cross-country trips. Squared off tires and stuff covered in road grime, and wear and tear are definitely downsides. It is easier to take the truck. I find that I have been rewarded each time I took the few extra minutes to gear up and ride.

I agree 100%, when my kids were little my ride into work and back was the only riding I could do most of the time. Even now with honey-do's and other family things I don't get to just take off across country for days, that hour's ride to work and hours ride back home are a God send. My commute is half freeway and half back road with a few nice options for taking the long way getting home. Any day I have to drive is a waste as far as I'm concerned, unless it's snowing or icy. 
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a hens arse?"