Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: First Post in the Dirt Lovers Forum!!  (Read 2906 times)

Offline tyrroneous

• Motorcycles: Daytona 675, SV650 (wifes) and some dirt bikes.
First Post in the Dirt Lovers Forum!!
« on: November 12, 2013, 09:33:53 PM »
Woot!!

Ok, actual question here...lets say you noticed a wee crack in your new-to-you 2003 XR400's front rim.  Would you still ride it?  Lets also assume you are new to off road riding and as such, ride like a pansy.

Also, any tips on how to tighten spokes and true rims? 

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
Re: First Post in the Dirt Lovers Forum!!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 03:43:00 PM »
If you can notice the crack, it is simpl;y waiting until you get as far from help as you ever get before it bites a hole in the tube . . . .

There are torque wrenches made for spokes, and, in theory, tightening them all to the same value SHOULD result in a round wheel . . ..

given that the wheel needs to be round, and some are offset to one side or the other, and also taking into consideration my comeplte and utter failure at successfully getting either of these things right the only time I really tried . . . . .I take it to the shop.

let us know how it goes, pleaseandthankyou!
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Offline tyrroneous

• Motorcycles: Daytona 675, SV650 (wifes) and some dirt bikes.
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 07:40:30 AM »
That is kinda what I was thinking about the crack...a disaster waiting to happen. 

Given that: 1) I am a cheap bastige and 2) have spent all my bike fund on a recently acquired KLX140L basket case for my wife, I am most likely going to give tightening the spokes a go on my own.  A spoke wrench for the rear wheel came with the bike but I need to get one for the front.  I'm giving consideration to purchasing a new front rim and trying to build up the wheel myself.  Could turn out to be a monumental failure.  How exciting!!

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 08:22:09 AM »
Document your efforts completely, making certain that the light is even and shadowless ensuring high quality images, so we can share in the joy, please!

;-}
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Offline JonS

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Tuono, 2014 Triumph Street Triple R
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 07:05:42 AM »
That is kinda what I was thinking about the crack...a disaster waiting to happen. 

Given that: 1) I am a cheap bastige and 2) have spent all my bike fund on a recently acquired KLX140L basket case for my wife, I am most likely going to give tightening the spokes a go on my own.  A spoke wrench for the rear wheel came with the bike but I need to get one for the front.  I'm giving consideration to purchasing a new front rim and trying to build up the wheel myself.  Could turn out to be a monumental failure.  How exciting!!

That is the wise decision. It doesn't look like it would be that hard to lace a wheel. You just need the right wrench. Taking before pictures as Bomber said, is a very good idea.
You can't avoid aging, but you don't have to get old.

Offline marc11

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 07:16:37 AM »
The stock XR rims are prone to cracking according to Woody's wheel works. I had a bent rear on my xr that Woody's couldn't fix as he said they almost always crack. Had to have them use my hubs and lace up an excel rim for me. Wasn't $$ but riding on a bent rim was pretty bad. Can't imagine ridinf on a cracked one.

Tightening the spokes is easy, just tap each spoke and tighten a small amount until they all have the same ping sound. Ping good, ckunk or clank bad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Offline Mac

• Just got out of prison
  • Motorcycles: none
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 03:46:58 PM »
If the rim is steel, couldn't you get it welded, then grind down the weld?
May I mambo dogface to the banana patch?

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 04:02:05 PM »
You could, yes, but the stock rim is a mite thin, the metal a mite brittle, and has fairly sharp bends (if memory serves) . . . welding the crack will only ensure that it cracks elsewhere next time . . . .

Online mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 08:13:40 PM »
Had an 86 KX500 and when i checked the spokes i found a bunch loose. Took a closer look and all the spoke holes were cracking. The only thing i didn't replace was the hub.
At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday