Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Droid guy with an iPad. Help me.  (Read 2738 times)

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
Droid guy with an iPad. Help me.
« on: April 28, 2014, 03:40:48 PM »
So I've been a droid guy for several years now- I also have a Sony Tablet "S" that I play with, but at this point I've found I'm not a huge tablet guy. We are a Google school in the upper levels where I teach- we use chromebooks and are going 1-1 next year in the middle school.  All that is background.

On to the question.  Our K-2 uses iPads.  Alot.  They love them, and we just did some fundraising for more.  As a a result a donor gave me one to do with as I please.  I probably need to get to know these things better as I do lots of trouble shooting and some work with them, but I really don't know them well.

I know there are a bunch of iPad folks out here.  Can you tell me what you use it for and why?  I'm not looking for a Google vs iPad debate- currently I am pretty firmly in the Google side of things (given *my* use and what we use in the middle school), but I *will* be persuaded if the iPad "does it" for me, however so far, as I mentioned, I don't see myself as that much of a tablet guy.  We shall see.

So please educate me on the uses, strengths, and benefits of the iPad.  I am interested in info from real-world users.  Thanks!

"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline bluepoof

• bluepoof.com
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250
Re: Droid guy with an iPad. Help me.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 03:46:56 PM »
I love my iPads (yes, plural) but I don't think they do anything more than an Android tablet would also do (for my particular usage, I mean).   I have one in the TV room and one in the bedroom that I use exclusively while nursing since they're easier to use than my laptop.  I'm assuming you won't be in that situation, though. :lol: I just read email, surf the web, etc.   

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 04:03:24 PM »
They do nearly identical things as Droid tablets.  Nowadays, apps for both appear simultaneously.

eReader
Public library ebooks/emags
Web browsing
email
media consumption (Netflix, HBOgo, Hulu etc)

The only big difference I've found is use of the Amazon Kindle store is awkward on ipad (ie the app won't let you buy directly from the store, you have to use a web browser to buy from Amazon, then go to Kindle app and refresh.)

edit to add:

Citrix receiver (if you do that)
Word processing, spreadsheets and PP can be done on them, but it's a bit painful
Synchronized calendars and address books

Best apps include:
Dropbox
Slacker radio (free version)
Duolingo (free version)
Google maps/navigator

Online R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 04:15:57 PM »
eReader
Public library ebooks/emags
Web browsing
email
media consumption (Netflix, HBOgo, Hulu etc)

I just acquired a new iPad to "replace" my first gen iPad.  In addition to the items listed above, I also use my iPad to take notes (using a Logitech keyboard case) in meetings, small group studies, and during church.

I also love using it to watch rented movies and TV shows when traveling via plane.

Sheri wanted to keep the old iPad for use of playing video on long trips.  Despite its age, the first Gen still works pretty well.  Though, I have noticed that some apps no longer run on it well (or at all). 
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 04:19:28 PM »
I use my ipad for nearly everything that my old (now languishing) laptop used to do.

I also use for things that I never used the laptop for, such as games or media comnsumption.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 05:50:28 PM »
I use my ipad for nearly everything that my old (now languishing) laptop used to do.

I also use for things that I never used the laptop for, such as games or media comnsumption.

I thought they took terrific pics.   :pokestick:
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 06:17:16 PM »
iPad Cutting Board:

Sent from the Moto X. A wicked awesome phone.

“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

― Frank Zappa

Online R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 06:20:54 PM »

I thought they took terrific pics.   :pokestick:

Maybe he didn't take it with him to the Keys?   

:augie:

C'mon Miles, we want a ride report!

:threadjacked:
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 06:31:23 PM »

Let me just caution though, the processor is not as powerful as most current laptops, so if you're doing spreadsheets that are data intensive or has lots of calcuations, it will be painfully slow.  Office apps are not a strong suit.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 06:53:50 PM »
iPad Cutting Board: http://youtu.be/4M0s0BUCHo0

Sent from the Moto X. A wicked awesome phone.

As an appliance repairman, I'm very happy to see him clean it off before he put it in the dishwasher.

:thumbsup:
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 07:03:06 PM »

Let me just caution though, the processor is not as powerful as most current laptops, so if you're doing spreadsheets that are data intensive or has lots of calcuations, it will be painfully slow.  Office apps are not a strong suit.

The only office task that I do on my iPad is word processing, and for that it's well up to the task.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Offline Rincewind

• Motorcycles: DL650A
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 07:41:02 AM »
I use my iPad a lot for both work and home.  It has really helped me get organized and have ready access to info.  I still need my workstation for the "heavy-lifting" work tasks.

Word processing with Pages (letters, notes, vehicle info, family notes, lists).  I put a lot of info there so that I can get to it easily.

Spreadsheets with Numbers (for audits, spec sheet comparisons, and whatnot)

PDF libraries with iBooks (manuals, drawings, documents, not to mention books)

Calendar and Contacts.  I store a lot of useful info in my contacts.

All of the above synced up with my phone thru iCloud for broad access. 

Maps, Google Earth, Best Biking Roads, GreatestRoad, - all help find locations and roads. 

There is even a groceries app that syncs across four devices between my wife and me. 

Plenty of news and entertainment options. 

I can easily log into my workstation remotely to access files and programs. 

Autocad has an app to open CAD files. 

Brother has an app to print wirelessly with their printers. 

Scanner Pro makes PDF documents on the fly with the camera. 

I also play Words with Friends with my FIL in HI daily. 

That's not to mention video/movie content and music players, etc.

And it's my daily alarm clock.

I expect my use of iPads at work will only be increasing, especially with the use of cloud computing.