Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Having a Good Time  (Read 2828 times)

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
Having a Good Time
« on: April 28, 2014, 11:08:31 AM »
Honestly, things are going well. Got a big tax check so I'm replacing the carpet in two rooms. I'm 5 points away from getting a 40" TV from work. Friday, Jeanne, who has been working late all week, came home to dinner and a cold beer. Saturday she had to work again and came home with dinner planned; chicken burritos followed up with smashed strawberries on vanilla ice cream. So I've been told I'm awesome (part of that was because it's my place so I'm somewhat OCD about cleaning up during and after making dinner so she was happy she didn't have to clean too although she did help). I settled on a plan for dealing with the blank space in front of the new shed. We hit three or four places to look at garden stuff (bench, planters, misc yard gargoyles) including planning on what to plant. I trimmed down a well overgrown bush in the side yard and pulled a trash bag full of weeds from the gravel. Now I can walk from the back yard into the side yard without fighting the bush. And Jeanne was nice enough to throw on her grubby clothes and came out to pull weeds with me.

I practiced guitar and wrote some code without interruption.

We discussed our upcoming trip to Canada in 2 months and what she'd need to buy in order to be ready to go (she got a nice tax check as well) plus the trip to GenCon in August.

It's all good :)

Carl
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 No matter where you go, there you are.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
Re: Having a Good Time
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 11:18:28 AM »
 :clap:
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 11:21:03 AM »
:thumbsup:
Cheers!

Sent from the Moto X. A wicked awesome phone.

“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

― Frank Zappa

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 11:41:59 AM »
Good for you!   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.,Kona NuNu
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 04:54:24 PM »
A domesticated sapiens, is a happy sapiens.
 :hail:
"We have constructed pyramids, in honour of our escaping." - Jim Morrison

”And the music was good, and the music was loud, and the singer he turned and he said to the crowd, LET THERE BE ROCK!”

Offline bluepoof

• bluepoof.com
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 05:27:21 PM »
Yard gargoyles and GenCon. :inlove:

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 05:57:52 PM »
And Jeanne was nice enough to throw on her grubby clothes and came out to pull weeds with me.

One of the best things Susan and I enjoy is working the gardens together.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Meemuh

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '91 Nighthawk.
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 06:03:46 PM »
Glad to hear things are going well for you!

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 07:46:54 PM »
I am so compulsive at work :)

Almost 7 years ago when I started at the company, I installed a wiki server and took the 300 emails the team used to use to impart how things worked and wikified it. Then kept it up by responding to questions with "did you check the wiki?", with "if you can't figure it out on the wiki, tell me and I'll fix it", with "did you write it up in the wiki" which got the team documenting and maintaining our processes.

I also wrote, and still write, a lot of scripts to manage servers, from simple comparisons to identify problems (yesterday the network interface was fine, today the output says the interface failed) to more complex system check scripts (I can email our central server to check the status of any of my servers and know if it's up and whether it rebooted in the past 24 hours), to centrally gathering message files from all systems to be filtered and reviewed.

I wrote and maintain a grass roots inventory system to keep track of our servers (asset tracking only tracks physical devices not the 500 or so virtual systems).

Jeanne is a DBA and works for a different team (she's a Microsoft DBA and I'm a Unix admin :D ). In chatting I'm amazed that they get any work done or time off. No one shares info and in fact openly states they won't share, job security. Since no one shares, essentially _everyone_ is on call (the company uses a variety of DB platforms and the DBAs know their specialty). Jeanne worked Tues, Wed, and Thurs nights late and got to my place around 6 on Friday, went in at 8am made it back at 1pm. Heck, one of the guys went on vacation for a month and all projects dealing with the database he knows stopped until he returned. I just can't comprehend why folks would do that to themselves.

So I understand her frustration and having dinner ready and no obligation to do anything except hang in the kitchen and watch was a godsend. Especially since the other days she had to come home and do it all herself, plus not be able to go shopping plus not do laundry plus not get her car worked on.

It's all good. :D

Carl
 No matter where you go, there you are.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 12:04:47 PM »
Someone from the having a hard time thread is going to come over here and ....

If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 12:06:34 PM »
I'm happy to read this, Carl.  Keep having fun and enjoying life!
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Offline satxbonneville

• Bailiff, whack his peepee!
  • Motorcycles: '04 Bonneville T100, '03 V-Strom 1000, '06 Ninja 500
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 04:30:15 PM »
That's not much of a rant.