Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Practical question for changing a rear tire on a Tiger 800  (Read 3413 times)

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
Practical question for changing a rear tire on a Tiger 800
« on: April 27, 2014, 07:11:15 PM »
I picked up a big screw in the rear tire.  Even after patching with a Stop n Go mushroom plug, it still has a slow leak, I think because of the location of the hole.

I've decided to just replace the tire, it has 4500 miles on it and I don't need the aggravation over the summer of a slow leak.  This bike is new to me, and I realize I don't have a centerstand (but I'm going to get one).  In the mean time, what is the preferred method for jacking up the rear for tire removal?

The skid plate is just plastic and seems flimsy, I don't like the idea of putting a jack under the shock mount.  Do people just put a piece of 2X4 between the swingarms and jack it up?

Offline Rincewind

• Motorcycles: DL650A
Re: Practical question for changing a rear tire on a Tiger 800
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 07:48:14 PM »
I looked at mine and there isn't much room to get a 2x4 behind the rear linkage and onto the swingarm.  You might be able to do it if the 2x4 were on its side, but it would seem precarious to me.  Definitely lock the front tire in place somehow if you try that.

Mine has a center stand, so for me it's easy.  I have also used a rear stand and borrowed some spools from another bike once.  Motorcycle Superstore has a $50 rear stand - that's a lot less than a center stand.  The other option is to hoist it from above, or jack it from the right side with the side stand down.

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 08:43:33 PM »
Any thought to "hang" the rear section from above?
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 08:13:25 AM »

I have seen this done with a pair or ratchet straps attached to a beam above and around the frame or on a stout grab rail.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 10:19:40 AM »

I have seen this done with a pair or ratchet straps attached to a beam above and around the frame or on a stout grab rail.

this'll work very nicely . . . but, if you'll keep the bike for more than one summer, I'd suggest spools and a stand. inexpensive, and will allow you to do more maintenance/tire work much more easily.
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 12:38:46 PM »

this'll work very nicely . . . but, if you'll keep the bike for more than one summer, I'd suggest spools and a stand. inexpensive, and will allow you to do more maintenance/tire work much more easily.

That sounds like a good option. Where do the spools attach?  If at the axle nut, how do you get the wheel off?  (I have a Pitbull for my SSSA Ducati and it passes through the wheel, but that's a different animal)

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 01:00:12 PM »
many bikes have places to attach the spools (as you say, the axle is a bad place for this) . . .

lacking that, rear stands are available with little shelves that'll rest under the swinger, lifting the bike that way.

Sadly, I am unfamiliar enough with this particular model to know which way to go . . .the good news, the little shelf dealios with work with damn near any bike you may purchase in the future.
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Offline Rincewind

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 03:43:40 PM »
Look at the swingarm just below the adjusters on an unpainted portion of the arm.  There are threaded holes waiting for spools, just thread them in.

That said, a center stand will make it easier than a rear stand when you have to take off the front wheel.

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 11:20:29 AM »
Look at the swingarm just below the adjusters on an unpainted portion of the arm.  There are threaded holes waiting for spools, just thread them in.

That said, a center stand will make it easier than a rear stand when you have to take off the front wheel.

Installed the centerstand last night.  Definitely gonna make tire changes easier.  :thumbsup:

Offline Rincewind

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 12:11:10 PM »
Good call. 

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 08:15:11 PM »
Rear tire changed and chain maintenance done.  Super easy.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks for the advice!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 10:57:18 AM by Mr. Whippy »