Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: spark plug wire backwards?  (Read 3919 times)

Offline goldylocks303

• Motorcycles: Triumph Tiger 800
spark plug wire backwards?
« on: April 27, 2014, 03:24:22 PM »
I'm not really sure how this happened because it's not really possible...  but according to the numbers on my spark plug wires, the #2 and #3 wire have been switched???  It's a regular ole' japanese inline four engine.  Manual says the cylinders are numbered 1-4 from left to right.  #1 is in the right spot but the wire next to it says #3 and has been that way for in unknown amount of time.  As far as I can tell, it's been running right in this configuration so should I bother switching it back? 

I can't figure out how or when this happened.  There's an engine component in the way that actually prevents you from swapping the left side wires with the right side.  and the #2 wire is too short to make it to the #1 spot so it's almost impossible to screw up.  I do most of the maintenance at home but occasionally goes to a shop for carburetor checking and I swear I had him do the spark plugs one time since he was already in there.  Can't remember when though.  So maybe when he had that component off that blocks the middle he swapped the wires???  I thought it wasn't supposed to run right if you messed with them. 

Should I switch them back (it involves removing quite a bit of stuff)?

eD

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
Re: spark plug wire backwards?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 03:49:19 PM »
Firing order is not the same as cylinder placement.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline goldylocks303

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 04:39:29 PM »
Right, but wouldn't you label the wires according to placement on the engine so you can put them back in the right place?  The wires are labeled 1-2-3-4 by the factory. 

Ed

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 05:20:43 PM »
Right, but wouldn't you label the wires according to placement on the engine so you can put them back in the right place?  The wires are labeled 1-2-3-4 by the factory. 

Ed

No. Spark plug leads are placed according to engine firing order.

It's a regular ole' japanese inline four engine.

Shah?
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline M.Brane

• Motorcycles: 3 RC46, GTS1000
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 05:52:33 PM »
 It doesn't matter what the writing on the wire is. It matters which coil, and plug it's connected to.

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 05:59:27 PM »
I put tip ties on my wires. Ie: 1 for plug 1, 2 for plug 2 and so on. No question which wire goes where.
At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday

Offline tomek

• Motorcycles: three
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 09:46:38 PM »
It most likely has waste type ignition, in other words if you mix 50% of spark plug wires it won`t matter. Of course it has to be right 50 %.

On typical I4 one coil or one pair of coils  fires simultaneously  cylinders 1 and 4 and the second one - 2 and 3, so if you mix leads on those coils it won`t matter.

Number on wires mean cylinder number counting from the "driver side".

So, yes if you switch wires 2 and 3 it won`t have any effect on the engine whatsoever.

Offline goldylocks303

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 11:27:40 PM »
Thanks tomek.  my googling was returning similar results so it's nice to have confirmation.  I pulled the airbox to look at the coils and make sure I understood which wire went where.  I'm sure it's fine.  Thanks all for the help everyone. 

Ed