Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CAmping outside Denver  (Read 2604 times)

Offline Dan K

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '10 VFR 1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
CAmping outside Denver
« on: April 21, 2014, 05:55:14 PM »
Going to visit my buddy in Denver for some camping in July. We want some privacy - just 3 guys, no family (wives and kids staying home), not really looking to meet people and go to the beach - hiking, would like some water for fishing (lake or river) and maybe some shade, up in the mountains would be nice for good views.  Looking for something I just can't find here in the midwest.

Any suggestions?

Will be car camping because we don't have enough backpacking gear for everyone, and no killer 4 wheeler to get us deep into the boonies, but off the beaten path, secret spots are what I'm looking for; we'll have a stove and big ass cooler and what not, so we dont really need 'facilities' although one of the guys is kind of a city boy...

Thanks!

- Dan

Sometimes, the only answer is defenestration.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
Re: Camping outside Denver
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 06:46:18 PM »
Your buddy lives in Denver. Surely he has some ideas. How far outside of Denver are you talking? You have to realize Denver is a major metroplex and many of the residents are wanting to get out of town. So finding an isolated place at that time of year would be difficult without packing in & packing out.

Justin, JimWilliamson and especially Carl can help you out.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Dan K

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '10 VFR 1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
Re: CAmping outside Denver
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 07:35:19 PM »
Yes, my buddy in Denver will know a few places. But he's only been living there for about 5-10 years. Plus, I'm always looking to tap into the knowledge well that is STO.
Sometimes, the only answer is defenestration.

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 08:30:59 PM »
You might wish to follow this thread:
www.FrontRange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?21148

Would you be wishing to enjoy some gun based target practice? If yes, finding a spot that allows shooting is certainly possible.
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Offline Downs

• Formerly known as Jeepinbanditrider
  • Motorcycles: 1978 GS1000E 2004 VSTROM 650
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 09:22:46 PM »
http://freecampsites.net/#!Colorado&query=region

Enjoy that site.  I use it quite often out here.  I haven't paid for a campsite in over a year now.

You will generally find secluded campsite with little to no amenities.  Most of the ones I use out here only have a Fire ring and MAYBE  a picnic table. 

Here's three examples.  Called a "Yellow Post site".  Not sure if they have them other places besides Cali.  I've rarely seen anyone even pass by these sites let alone actually be camped at one that I wanted to use.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 03:36:16 PM »
A couple questions came up at the FR4x4 thread:
1) How far are you thinking of driving (away from Denver) / how close do you wish to stay to Denver?
2) What vehicle(s) will you have (ground clearance thoughts) - low rider, sedan, pickup?

sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 05:19:13 PM »
A couple questions came up at the FR4x4 thread:
1) How far are you thinking of driving (away from Denver) / how close do you wish to stay to Denver?
2) What vehicle(s) will you have (ground clearance thoughts) - low rider, sedan, pickup?

Yeah. I asked the same question.

But his buddy has been living in Denver for only 5-10 years.  :rolleyes:
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson