Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Aftermarket exhausts/ mufflers/ silencers  (Read 10874 times)

Online thatguy

• Motorcycles: a few
Re: Aftermarket exhausts/ mufflers/ silencers
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2019, 08:00:45 PM »
When your "office" looks like this any power loss is temporary. :D

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
sometimes WTF is the appropriate answer

Offline M.Brane

• Motorcycles: 3 RC46, GTS1000
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2019, 08:24:03 PM »
 As someone who has spent way too much on custom exhaust components for my old VFRs I can say without a doubt it is absolutely worth it. The custom headers weigh just a few pounds less than stock, but they are stainless so will outlast the bike. They also make more power up top, and smooth out the fueling.

The stock VFR mufflers are boat anchors. One of 'em weighs more than all 3 of my aftermarket mufflers combined. They have a nice deep sound, but are far too polite for me. I don't have a problem with loud pipes. I know how to keep RPMs down, and be light on the throttle when I'm in town. That's not where you want to haul ass anyway.

Even a straight piped HD can be mellow if you're not a douchebag.

Online The Artist Formerly Known As Bubbles

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2019, 07:40:28 AM »
...a straight piped HD...    ...if you're not a douchebag.

:headscratch:
this signature on hold pending review

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2019, 09:39:06 AM »
Aftermarket slip on?  Skip it.  For $400 or thereabouts, you can have a nice long weekend road trip and stay under the popo-dar.  I like stealth. 

I've had them on used bikes, but I never bought them.  One (the KLR) was obscenely obnoxious, killed the power and quickly got removed for a nice used stock replacement. The POS aftermarket got tossed in the recycling bin.  OTOH, the Yoshs on the Trophy were not obnoxious and didn't offend my sensibilities or hearing.  Same with the Remus system on the 1150GS.

I find myself in this camp... My last long term bike had a wonderful Muzzy Titanium and Carbon exhaust that sounded great, but still droned on the highway. As well, the 5-0 did hear me coming enough that I feel it decreased my luck.

Other side of the fence, I liked the sound for 'expressions' sake. Nothing like a deep-throated rumble to get the malingerers in the crosswalk moving, or to make the cutie in the next car smile. (OK, so I'm still 13, what of it?).

BUT... the ZRX has a big boat anchor of a system. Double walled restrictive steel from the headers to the canister, and a stainless canister that is bigger than a gatling water jacket. It's legit huge. But quiet. Oh so quiet. I can't say I haven't been pulled over on it, but I've never heard the phrase "I heard you coming". And I (frankly) have been eyeballed doing Way-F'n-Extralegaltm on numerous occasions and just got no notice for it because it doesn't shriek and I sit up straight not hiding under the paint. HiViz helps too. I can't hide that I'm there, but not yelling sure seems to screw up their impressions of speed.

That said... yes, I want one. But I dont' want to rejet either. so there we go... Can't have it both ways I guess.

LT
Great googly-moogly!

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2019, 10:29:19 AM »
pretty much leave them stock except my dirt bike. It gets a FMF Q series with a spark arrestor to keep the forest service happy.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online stevent

• Motorcycles: 2010 K1300GT
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2019, 10:37:42 AM »
I think they're a waste of money myself. I have a service connected hearing disability which oddly enough makes my ears very sensitive to certain tones. The "deep throated HD rumble" being one of them, is downright painful. Other cruisers sound like a flatulent air cooled VW or just plain crap. A well tuned sportbike sounds good but not for any length of time.

As far as the weight savings goes, for an (ahem) "well-marbled" gentleman like me it isn't going to make a lot of difference anyway other than lightening my wallet.
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a chickens arse?"

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2019, 11:01:39 AM »

(don't ever start it)
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

• Contributor
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2019, 12:35:48 PM »

(don't ever start it)

Ahhhhhhhhhh! Ok, ok... now I get it.

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2001 Ducati ST4; 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2019, 10:17:16 PM »
Some of you may remember Skippy from the now defunct Ninja 250 forum. You remember.... welding an exhaust on a wooden bench with flammable solvents all around, and the poor dog staring at the bright welding torch. Not to mention the lack of PPE...

So here's a link to something equally entertaining or appalling or...um....creative...

https://www.facebook.com/BenPhillipsUK/videos/750790528769649/
Don't argue with an idiot; people might not know the difference. -Anonymous

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2019, 10:28:58 PM »
Some of you may remember Skippy from the now defunct Ninja 250 forum. You remember.... welding an exhaust on a wooden bench with flammable solvents all around, and the poor dog staring at the bright welding torch. Not to mention the lack of PPE...

So here's a link to something equally entertaining or appalling or...um....creative...

ShervinRRR built a VW exhaust?
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2019, 07:18:35 AM »
Very limited experience but polarizing. Kim's FJ had a nice full Yosh. Not too loud and looked good to boot. I put a Jardine on my CBR1000F. Huge mistake. Total POS that sounded horrible and blew the baffle out in a matter of weeks, maybe less. Massive regret. The only other aftermarket pipe was the Staintune we put on the 2000 VFR.  That was the best sounding bike I ever put ears on. With the Spud in, it was pretty polite unless you really wailed on it. But with the Spud out, it sounded more like a small block V8 than a motorcycle. I apparently like that because it was almost always out except when I was commuting and leaving the neighborhood early. I wouldn't have a 5th gen without one ... It was that good. $$$$$
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2001 Ducati ST4; 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2019, 10:26:24 AM »

:lol: I had blocked that name from my memory. Thanks for that (no sarcasm implied).
Don't argue with an idiot; people might not know the difference. -Anonymous

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette 400, farkled for long distances
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2019, 01:05:39 PM »
So, I'm trying to put everyone's input together with some additional research I've done:

1.  The EPA/CARB compliant slip on I've been looking at likely has no significant effect on performance or mileage.  Smaller size, 3 lbs. lighter, and small gains in torque and horsepower are claimed by the manufacturer.  Lower tone to the sound would likely be the most I would be getting as a benefit.  This would be unlikely to mess up the bike.

2.  Full system including air intake mods and remapping would shed weight, increase power, and likely decrease mileage.  And costly.  Not street legal anywhere in the US.  Pollutes a bunch more.

3.  A slip on that is not EPA/CARB compliant may reduce backpressure and mess up performance without at least remapping.  And the results may or may not be desirable even then.  Also not street legal in the US.

Is this about right?

I should have put a link to the slip on I've been looking at:  https://www.yoshimura-rd.com/products/kawasaki-400-exhaust-system-14710bp520

And there's even an install video:  https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/yoshimura-kawasaki-ninja-400-2018-works-edition-street-alpha-t-slip-on-exhaust-ss-ss-cf/

I might also think about changing the sprockets if I feel a need for more range after getting in some trips.  It's just I'm wary of making the Ninjette underpowered by doing so.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  --Douglas Adams

Offline M.Brane

• Motorcycles: 3 RC46, GTS1000
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2019, 12:09:35 AM »
Yoshimura makes good stuff. I had one on my 94 VFR. It had a nice deep tone, and not too loud. Assembled with screws so re-packing was easy.

• Contributor
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2019, 07:01:11 AM »

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2019, 02:43:38 PM »
Thanks for the input, but I've arrived at the conclusion that modifying my exhaust is unlikely to get me what I'm looking for at this time.  But never say never.  Tax time is just around the start of the next riding season, maybe Uncle Sam will be good to me?.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 03:11:23 PM by Baxter »
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  --Douglas Adams

Online Black Hills

« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2019, 03:02:20 PM »
one thing to keep in mind with advertised power gains is that they may be in an RPM range that you don't use a lot and they may also be at the expense of losses in an RPM range that you do use. a lesson painfully learned with a new supertrapp system and stage 3 jet kit back in the 80's on my nighthawk S.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

• Contributor
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2019, 07:55:20 AM »
one thing to keep in mind with advertised power gains is that they may be in an RPM range that you don't use a lot and they may also be at the expense of losses in an RPM range that you do use. a lesson painfully learned with a new supertrapp system and stage 3 jet kit back in the 80's on my nighthawk S.

This. Unless you spend all day eking out another 1/4 hp at 13,500 RPM, 99.9 times out of 100 street-level mods are never realized (at least to full potential) and are a galactic waste of money.

Weight's the thing. Sure, tone. But we have to remember - some really, really smart people are putting these total package, do-most-everything-rather-excellently-these-days motorcycle final solutions together. You almost never improve the whole by modifying a single system.

Except suspension. That's where they always do and MUST go with the most common denominator solution. Fix that first. Always. Everything else is cart before the horse kind of dumb, IMO.

Spend your money on suspension upgrades; the ROI is roughly 1000:1 over exhaust in terms of making you safer, faster, more planted, and more in control, which leads to being safer, faster, more plant... you see how this circle plays out.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 08:30:06 AM by chornbe »

Online Black Hills

« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2019, 08:26:26 AM »
Definitely!! suspension work is the best money you can spend for performance gains. the key is to be brutally honest when asked about your ability, if the results will not be as good

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2019, 03:16:16 PM »
Certainly agree with the comments about suspension.  I upgraded front and back on my Little Red Ninja and transformed that bike.  But it came with a notoriously bad stock setup.  I'm giving the Ninjette some time before jumping in on a suspension project. 

Offline vfrrider

• Whoopee's the name, safety's the game.
  • Motorcycles: 1993 Honda VFR750F
« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2019, 05:18:12 PM »
I like Remus. Lifetime warranty, deep sound.

But I rarely look for the model for my bike, I look for the model I like and mod to make them fit.

Larry
VFRrider

Online thatguy

• Motorcycles: a few
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2019, 09:19:36 PM »

This. Unless you spend all day eking out another 1/4 hp at 13,500 RPM, 99.9 times out of 100 street-level mods are never realized (at least to full potential) and are a galactic waste of money.

Weight's the thing. Sure, tone. But we have to remember - some really, really smart people are putting these total package, do-most-everything-rather-excellently-these-days motorcycle final solutions together. You almost never improve the whole by modifying a single system.

Except suspension. That's where they always do and MUST go with the most common denominator solution. Fix that first. Always. Everything else is cart before the horse kind of dumb, IMO.

Spend your money on suspension upgrades; the ROI is roughly 1000:1 over exhaust in terms of making you safer, faster, more planted, and more in control, which leads to being safer, faster, more plant... you see how this circle plays out.

Agreed on suspension.

But if takes you all day for 1/3 HP find another hobby. Spend all day? I write an EFI map in less than 2 hours from scratch on most bikes. And the gains are significant both in numbers and other things such as economy and response with no loss in reliability. I'm getting 130+ HP from a 117 Stage 4 Milwaukee 8 while keeping the factory warranty and reliability. And they make 100 LB-FT of torque just off idle.
sometimes WTF is the appropriate answer

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2019, 12:13:19 PM »
I saw this video of a Musarri slip-on exhaust on a Ninjette, it sounds and looks good.  I was previously unaware of this brand.  It's apparently Italian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsNakqwGpco

It's priced near $210.

https://www.amazon.com/Musarri-Street-Exhaust-Kawasaki-Ninja/dp/B07GF93SG8/ref=asc_df_B07GF93SG8/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583589102100265&psc=1#customerReviews

I think it would look good on my black Ninjette. Still, I don't really need it. But I do like Negronis, pizza and chianti.  What's one more Italian thing in my life?

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2019, 10:15:46 AM »
Just in case there's anyone else researching CARB or ECE compliance in a slip on exhaust, I came across these Arrow slips ons that are claimed to be street legal:  https://www.arrow.it/en/assembled/1664/Kawasaki-Z-400-2019

I presume that compliance only comes with the db killer in place.