Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Aftermarket exhausts/ mufflers/ silencers  (Read 10376 times)

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
Aftermarket exhausts/ mufflers/ silencers
« on: April 21, 2014, 10:58:53 AM »
Favourite brands? Best performance? Cheapest and trashiest? Best at messing up a bike's performance? Best at making it difficult to tune the bike without a lot of hard and very boring work? Best made? Was Shervin right-holes are better?

Since oil and tyre threads are boring these days, I just thought I'd start a similar but not yet happened theme.  :)

I've had a series of replacement exhausts-Termighoni, Akrapovic, noisy ones, didn't last a season ones.

It would be nice to hear people's experiences, including stuff they overheard down the pub one night, ill informed speculation, rumour and dislike of the look of the thing.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Offline M.Brane

• Motorcycles: 3 RC46, GTS1000
Re: Aftermarket exhausts/ mufflers/ silencers
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 08:38:51 PM »
 Alrighty then since no one is biting yet...

I've owned 2 bikes with aftermarket cans, and ridden a few others. The brands/materials, and impressions are:

Two Brothers oval carbon: good quality especially the packing. Sounds good. A bit loud, but not obnoxiously so.

Scorpion oval aluminum: Good quality can, nice deep sound, can't say what the packing is like. Never had 'em apart.

D&D round aluminum: decent quality. Fuckin' loud. Might as well run a straight pipe.

Staintune round stainless: top quality, and good sound. A bit on the loud side without spuds.

Yoshimura round aluminum: quality can that's easy to repack. Can't comment on the sound of mine since the POs of mine never took advantage of the ease of repacking, and let it go to shit inside. Now it needs a complete rebuild.

The engine sees any "glass pack" muffler as a straight pipe so performance is the same as running such. The differences are in the resonant frequencies of the different materials, dimensions, shapes, and the quality of the components.

Offline Dan K

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '10 VFR 1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 11:44:53 PM »
Ok, let's take this thread in an interesting direction. Saw a beautifully welded pipe on a Tuono on a thread a while back, found out it was a Danmoto GP exhaust. Had to have it. Turns out...

Was only $126!

So I bought it. It's a mid pipe and slip on, also bought the optional baffle because I am not a total asshole.

Anything I need to know prior to install? Do I need copper grease or high temp silicone or what not in between the pipes? I have a spring puller from my kids trampoline so that should be helpful...

Anyway, all suggested help appreciated. May handle this one at the entropy lab where experience and some wisdom is available for guidance when I wrench...

-Dan

Sometimes, the only answer is defenestration.

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 06:19:23 AM »
Loud aftermarket exhausts are for people that are compensating for... something.

Note that I have a (kinda) loud aftermarket exhaust.

2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 08:39:20 AM »
Crappy: Cobra

Not Crappy: Leo Vince

Online chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 08:56:28 AM »
Liz's 919 came from the PO with [starts with D and is an off-shoot of Akropovic]. I have a mental block about the name. Quality is meh... they're fine. Sound is... not to my liking. Not deep enough to be called "throaty" but not buzzy enough to be the ricer-mosquito-crap that you often hear. It helps that it's a 919 and not a 600 in that regard, too, I think. It sounds ok, but given my choice, I'd go back to stock sound.

I honestly never understood trying to buy mufflers with sound as the first property of importance. Weight would be the first consideration, I'd think. :shrug:
this signature on hold pending review

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 09:46:16 AM »
I honestly never understood trying to buy mufflers with sound as the first property of importance. Weight would be the first consideration, I'd think. :shrug:

Some bikes really do sound anemic with a stock exhaust, but I put the LVs on my KTM to save a bunch of weight (dual exhausts with a cat in each one) and heat (from the cats). No worries about my luggage melting/cooking with the LVs. The fact that they sound really nice (IMO) is a bonus.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 10:31:31 AM »
Liz's 919 came from the PO with [starts with D and is an off-shoot of Akropovic]. I have a mental block about the name. Quality is meh... they're fine. Sound is... not to my liking. Not deep enough to be called "throaty" but not buzzy enough to be the ricer-mosquito-crap that you often hear. It helps that it's a 919 and not a 600 in that regard, too, I think. It sounds ok, but given my choice, I'd go back to stock sound.

You had an FZ6...you mean you didn't want to swap the stock exhaust out due to the sound alone?  I wanted to, put the cost/performance/sound ratio would never allow it.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 10:36:59 AM »
Nope, I really didn't. If I could ride an electric bike that makes zero engine noise, I'd be perfectly happy with that, too.

Online R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 10:42:44 AM »

Weight is my first priority and sound is often times a pleasant type of collateral damage:)

Seriously, if you've ever swapped a stock for an aftermarket, you'll be impressed with how much weight you're shedding.

Quick reviews:

I've put Akrapovic on my Super Duke and BMW RT.  The fit and finish is excellent and the sound is perfect with the baffles in (i.e. not obnoxious). 

I put a set of Remus on the Adventure and while the sound was brilliant, the quality wasn't up to the Akapovic units I've had.

I put a Two Brothers can on my FZ1 and that damn thing was LOUD!  Too loud, even with the baffles in.  But the quality of the unit was top notch.

You be the judge of the sound and whether or not you find it to be a positive or negative to the bike:

Akrapovic on the Super Duke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56fMkUsYT2w

Remus on the Adventure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK2kJEXTHEc
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 10:46:55 AM »

Weight is my first priority and sound is often times a pleasant type of collateral damage:)

Yeah, don't get me wrong.... I *like* a nice sounding bike; there just aren't that many of them. I wouldn't ever spend hundreds upon hundreds of dollars trying to tune to a sound. If it sounds nice after I trim weight (or other considerations), then so be it.

I also think trying to make a small-bore I4 sound "good" is an exercise in futility.... to my way of thinking. Some people like the scream/buzz of a little I4. I don't. Give me a nice deep big-bore rumble, and if I can't have that, then please just keep it as quiet as possible.

$.02/YMMV

Online R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 10:51:47 AM »

Yeah, don't get me wrong.... I *like* a nice sounding bike; there just aren't that many of them. I wouldn't ever spend hundreds upon hundreds of dollars trying to tune to a sound. If it sounds nice after I trim weight (or other considerations), then so be it.

I also think trying to make a small-bore I4 sound "good" is an exercise in futility.... to my way of thinking. Some people like the scream/buzz of a little I4. I don't. Give me a nice deep big-bore rumble, and if I can't have that, then please just keep it as quiet as possible.

$.02/YMMV

:lol:  My RT sounds like a raspy fart with the slipon.  It's still better sounding than stock and the weight savings and look of the Akra was worth it IMO.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 11:18:52 AM »
My VFR came with a TBR carbon fiber slip on already on it. I also got the stock can. The stocker weighed so damned much I've never bothered even trying it.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Otay!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 11:21:02 AM »
My Bandit came courtesy of the PO with a full system plus D&D carbon can, the whole thing perfectly rejetted and tuned with pod filters.

The thing is LOUD, but gets the job done.  I wear plugs all the time anyway, so it doesn't bother me- only those behind me.   :lol:

It's not obnoxious at low RPM's, but when you whack it it lets you know.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
"Buckwheat is dead"

Offline Dan K

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 01:50:01 PM »

This change is for weight, performance and looks, in that order.  Not a proponent of loud pipes, but the stock boat anchor is over 18 pounds and this danmoto is 2kg. Plus it's cheap and if I sell, can include the stocker.

You were thinking for Liz's pipe Delkovic.

And the Tuono is a twin. I can't see this pipe being any louder than the titanium race can I had on my last Tuono (set off car alarms loud) so it should be OK.

But the MAIN question - do I need to use a bead of RSV copper gasket sealant or just compression fit with the springs?

- Dan

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 02:02:24 PM »
Should be all good with the compression/spring fit.  :thumbsup:

Offline motormike

• Motorcycles: 2007 VFR800 ABS, 2001 VFR800
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 02:06:02 PM »
I know this is an aftermarket exhuast thread that was probably created with tongue-in-cheek.

I have stock exhuast on my 2001 and 2007 VFR.  Sure, I might like a cooler sound, but the stock exhaust on this bike doesn't sound bad.  I don't see any cost-benefit gain in switching to a lighter exhaust for $500.  Does it allow you to get to the next red light that much faster?

;)

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 02:13:18 PM »
I know this is an aftermarket exhuast thread that was probably created with tongue-in-cheek.

Shame on you, sir!

When I get around to it, I'll try and summarise people's views. Me, I go for looks, performance, weight, noise in that order. I like to be able to hear a bike but I wouldn't want to be antisocial.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Offline Dan K

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 02:13:36 PM »
What about for a bike that is used on the track, when the exhaust costs $126 plus shipping? And it looks great, even if I don't expect the quality to quite match the aesthetics...)

14 pound weight savings ain't too shabby either.

Online R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2014, 02:13:44 PM »
I know this is an aftermarket exhaust thread that was probably created with tongue-in-cheek.

I have stock exhuast on my 2001 and 2007 VFR.  Sure, I might like a cooler sound, but the stock exhaust on this bike doesn't sound bad.  I don't see any cost-benefit gain in switching to a lighter exhaust for $500.  Does it allow you to get to the next red light that much faster?

;)

Don't know.  But, it helps with the CG on the bike, especially for an under the seat exhaust.  Oh yeah, it also cuts down on heat.  Big time.

And... well... just because. 

Offline RRdvark

• Motorcycles: In-between cycles at the moment so STFU about it
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2014, 02:26:12 PM »
Put an alum Yoshi slip-on on my CBR600RR.  Fit/finish was good, installation was easy (for an undertail exhaust) and it ran great without any tuning changes (FI bike).

CBR1k came with an Akro Ti system on it so I didn't have to mess with it much.  It had been dyno-tuned with a power commander and had tons of power (157hp on the dyno chart) but had an annoying stumble off idle (right where you pull out).  I had to eaith drag race launhc it or have it fall on its face as I pulled away.  Didn't like that.  I've heard that was a CBR1k issue so I don't know if the pipe/tuning was entirely to blame.

Side note - the new cross-place R1's sound great with a pipe - more like a twin than an I-4.

Offline BMW-K

• The Original ER6i Pimp
  • Motorcycles: F800GS, 765 RS, WR250R
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2014, 09:00:53 PM »
I have an Arrow Ti Race Exhaust on the Ducati.  It runs a whopping 2mm of restriction (60mm entry, 58mm exit). 

It's freaking LOUD.  And on that bike I just plain love it.   ;D 

On the F800GS I bought it with a Remus can.  Ok, it's well, louder than stock but…I'd have to say it's definitely not loud.  More like a light burble.  I can't hear it at all over 20mph and even below that it sounds darn near stock. 

Why did I do it?  Well, weight savings mostly.  The Arrow is a 10# weight savings over the OEM exhaust and puts a silly stupid grin on my face every time.  The BMW?  Meh.  I bought it that way and I'm sure it saves some weight.  But the sound isn't worth noting.

I do love that nasty sharp bark on the Duc though!
IBA #:  20880
Damn.  Was that really a good idea?

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2014, 06:35:33 AM »
Side note - the new cross-place R1's sound great with a pipe - more like a twin than an I-4.

That is the only reason I want an R1. If I had one, I would run an obnoxiously loud pipe on it. I wouldn't use it much, but when I did..... :burnout:
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2014, 08:18:46 AM »
Josh Hayes' Yamaha last year at NJMP sounded like pure sex, second only to the Buells that just have a sound all their own. Ducati, take a lesson. You're not doing it so very right any more.

Offline 2RR2NV

• if you gotta go, go with a smile!!
  • Motorcycles: 2012 ZX-14R "the Flaming Hulk"
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2014, 12:54:11 PM »
Josh Hayes' Yamaha last year at NJMP sounded like pure sex, second only to the Buells that just have a sound all their own. Ducati, take a lesson. You're not doing it so very right any more.

+1.

Since ANY aftermarket is going to save weight compared to stock on my 14, I think I'll just go with something i different.... Graves. definitely no cheap, but very unique compared to everything else I see around here.
previous rides: 2011 GSXR750, 2007 FJR1300, 2004 GSXR750, 2002 Busa, 2002 VFR800, 1992 Honda Nighthawk CB750

Offline Dan K

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2014, 09:05:29 PM »
Dear Customer,

Thank you for your order.

To help you keep track of your purchases, we're sending you this email notification
Your order with the reference number WEB has been dispatched.

It was shipped with EMS Express. You can follow the shipment on www with the tracking number EA0.

The package will be delivered by your local post office. The supplied tracking number will mostly also work in their tracking system.
Shipments will be delivered mostly within 2 weeks.

With best regards
"Danmoto INT HK Limited" <danmoto.hk@gmail.com>

Looking forward to this.

- Dan

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2014, 09:18:57 PM »
Ok, let's take this thread in an interesting direction. Saw a beautifully welded pipe on a Tuono on a thread a while back, found out it was a Danmoto GP exhaust. Had to have it. Turns out...

Was only $126!

So I bought it. It's a mid pipe and slip on, also bought the optional baffle because I am not a total asshole.

Anything I need to know prior to install? Do I need copper grease or high temp silicone or what not in between the pipes? I have a spring puller from my kids trampoline so that should be helpful...

Anyway, all suggested help appreciated. May handle this one at the entropy lab where experience and some wisdom is available for guidance when I wrench...

-Dan

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your order.

To help you keep track of your purchases, we're sending you this email notification
Your order with the reference number WEB has been dispatched.

It was shipped with EMS Express. You can follow the shipment on www with the tracking number EA0.

The package will be delivered by your local post office. The supplied tracking number will mostly also work in their tracking system.
Shipments will be delivered mostly within 2 weeks.

With best regards
"Danmoto INT HK Limited" <danmoto.hk@gmail.com>

Looking forward to this.

- Dan

Uh, okay. What are you looking forward to?
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2014, 09:43:10 PM »
When I get around to it, I'll try and summarise people's views. Me, I go for looks, performance, weight, noise in that order. I like to be able to hear a bike but I wouldn't want to be antisocial.

The Yoshimura Superbike Team-only pipe on my S1000RR shaved about 47 pounds off the bike- the Yosh full system has ti pipes and a carbon can, and the stock exhaust was stunningly heavy.

It's also about the same diameter as a sewer pipe with no baffles of any kind, so it is somewhat antisocial.

It looks great, though.

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Offline Dan K

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2014, 09:50:07 PM »
I'm looking forward to this: just bought a pipe and it's en route.

Looks like this (though on a regular, non dual sported Tuono like this one):

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Was only $126!

-Dan
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 05:22:18 PM by Dan K »

Offline Dan K

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2014, 10:17:34 PM »
OK! Received and installed the DanMoto exhaust today. Went on fairly easily.

Only problem is that the springs they sent are just a fraction too long. One has little to no tension and will shake and rattle when pushed with my finger. Looks great. Still need to cut off the excess portion of the securing strap (they send you one that is too long with holes about a half inch apart and once attached I assume you cut the rest. You can see the high temp black rubber that surrounds the sheet metal bracket in the pic below.

I installed it without the baffle to test it out, but can't start it tonight as the family is asleep and I anticipate a loud exhaust. Will try in the AM. Easy on and off, so if it's too loud, only take 10 mins or so to install baffle.

Big question is what to do about the springs? Any suggestions? maybe just go to the hardware store and find some springs that are fractionally smaller?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Dan K

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2014, 02:53:55 PM »
Sounds amazing!  But there is a leak between the exhaust pipe and the mid pipe where the springs are weak.

I have to remove it anyway, to add the baffle (it sounds great, but it's a bit loud...ahem) so maybe I can get it to fit better. Maybe it moved a bit when I mounted it to the passenger foot peg mount.

Worst case scenario,min have that cooper rvt sealant stuff.

- Dan

Offline Dan K

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2014, 03:55:11 PM »
Stated the bike this morning and it sounds awesome, but is a little loud. Do to bad weather and a minor neck injury no riding yet.

Problem - there is a leak between he exhaust pipe and the mid pipe. Same joint where the springs have no tension.

Any suggestions?  Since I have to take it apart again to install the baffle, I'll try to get it together better. Maybe mounting the strap to the foot leg mount moved it a little? But the lack of tension in the springs makes me think it's pushed together enough.

Help appreciated,

- Dan

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2014, 06:42:43 PM »
Leo Vince Carbon Fiber on the pig.

14 pounds lighter than stock
Same dB with the quiet insert in.  (although the tone is markedly deeper)
Louder, but not LOUD with the insert removed
A few extra horses up top (like the bike really needs it)

and most important to my passenger is that it's over 300 degrees cooler so her feet don't cook.

Money well spent.

Offline Dan K

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2014, 07:24:47 PM »
So I installed the baffle and it quieted down a bit, still sounds great, and I tried to fit the two pipes together a bit better. Still a little leak, but now from the bottom of the joint as opposed to the top.

Extremely strong springs may or may not solve the problem, but that's the next step. The supplied springs are barely showing any tension. After that, the copper seal I bought for this purpose (hoping I wouldn't need it). I'll play around with it one more time after getting stronger springs, and if I can't get it leak free by compression, then I'll cave and use the sealant.

Offline M.Brane

• Motorcycles: 3 RC46, GTS1000
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2014, 11:09:28 PM »
 You can get springs in different lengths from anyplace that caters to dirt bikes. A generous amount of black silicone on the pipe end that slides into the can will help too just let it set for a day before you fire it up.  Any excess is easily trimmed.

Offline Dan K

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2014, 11:14:08 PM »
Thanks - that's likely what I'll do. I've got a tube of high temp copper rtv silicone gasket maker which I'll add to the end of the mid pipe that fits into the exhaust pipe.

It slides in a couple inches, so I figure a bead on the interior of the exhaust pipe where the edge of the mid pipe hits and stops should work with no need for cleanup.

I think I can even get springs at the local hardware store, just need to buy the right length and toughness. I'll get it sorted. Need to rode it to give it the but dyno test re: performance.

Offline Dan K

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2014, 12:30:20 PM »
Haven't done the gasket sealant yet - wanted to ride it first. With the baffle in I took it out for the first hard ride with the new exhaust. Sounds excellent, looks good, but the important part - impact on performance - is, well good but a little confusing.

Bike does not seem faster, does not seem to have more power, maybe even the opposite. BUT, at the same time, it's much easier to ride. Power delivery is much much smoother throughout the range - flat torque curve like the Sprint, actually. Bike still feels plenty fast, but there's no apparent rush (or dip?) anywhere in the rev range. I'm using an excellent chip made for open aftermarket pipes on the Tuono, so fueling is not an issue.

Am I missing something? Is it possible the smooth power delivery is masking any increase in power? I'm thinking this is the answer - my butt dyno is far from well calibrated. I like the way it rides much better, but I do take this bike to the track so I performance is important.

Make sense to anyone? Other than adding a TOR exhaust to my Sprint along with the proper tune to correct fueling (which gave a mild increase in noticeable pep), I've never changed an exhaust. I did add the chip and derestrict the stock exhaust on the Tuono last year, which provided a noticeable increase in power and a better (but not even close to this) torque curve

I'd really appreciate some comments on the above experience. I'm definitely happier with how the T rides, it just didn't match my expectations (other than the sound, which I really liked as well).

Thoughts?

- Dan

Offline Dan K

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2014, 01:05:26 PM »
Can the sensed decrease in power also be because the stock can was so big, and the replacement has less air capacity?

Have been riding the Sprint, so I haven't had additional seat time, but was hoping for some input.

Anyone? Is my butt dyno just simply way out of whack?

Offline spinalator

• Motorcycles: XT1200Z
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2014, 02:22:11 PM »
I went out on a limb and have a GPR on my VFR, Italian company makes scooter parts, but has some racing cred in Italia. I have been happy and the price on Amazon, shipped from Euro, was very good for the quality.

Offline spinalator

• Motorcycles: XT1200Z
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2014, 02:26:45 PM »
Shot from the side

Online Baxter

• Newly retired--time to wear out some tires!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette 400, farkled for long distances
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2019, 08:29:22 PM »
OK, I know that this thread is historic, but I have a question regarding slip on exhausts on a FI bike.  I'm posting on this olde thread so to keep the topic together in one place.

I'm considering a Yoshi Street Alpha T slip on exhaust for my Ninjette 400. It slightly reduces weight, reduces size & bulk, has a nice low tone, and brings modest to slight increases in horsepower, and more importantly torque.  It's also EPA & CARB compliant for those of us who like not polluting more than we have to (I go with the assumption that every mile ridden on a motorcycle, even just for fun, is essential to the betterment of humanity and so the resultant pollution is unavoidable) (I also don't hate my neighbors  https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=neighbor+hater+exhaust&&view=detail&mid=9ED97F79A73725159A149ED97F79A73725159A14&&FORM=VDRVRV).

My concern is with fuel consumption.  Assume a disciplined rider who is keeping to the same speed under the same conditions.  Theoretically a gain in power without changing fueling implies that the slip on may increase mileage at the same speed under similar conditions.  This is helpful with a small tanked bike that will be taken on IBA rides or which may visit the plains states or the Rockies where gas stations are few and far between.  But when I did the exhaust on my first bike, a Honda Shadow Aero 750, I gained power while significantly loosing mileage and range.  The difference was that I also freed up the air intake and rejetted the carbs in addition to the Cobra pipes. I believe that this basically made my bike hungry for gas under the same circumstances.

So, would a slip on alone for my Ninjette, without changing the air intake or remapping (Yoshi says remapping is not needed with this exhaust), also reduce mileage or would it be the same or even improve?  Anyone have actual experience here?  I emailed Yoshi, and they said that they only test for power changes, not fuel consumption.  And the web is full of statements both ways without providing evidence, or even stating its from experience. 
I broke the internet!

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2019, 08:50:44 PM »
A slip-on won't change any engine performance at all in any way.  No re-jetting or flashing needed at all.  No fuel economy change, except in that a very slightly lighter bike might get immeasurably better mileage (as in, you won't be able to measure the change).

It may change the sound a bit, and will save some weight.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Online Baxter

« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2019, 10:47:58 AM »
Thanks, Miles. 

So, basically, the real benefits of a slip on seem to be limited to sound or looks, maybe a little weight loss.
I broke the internet!

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2019, 11:50:29 AM »
The weight loss can be significant, especially when thinking in percentages of the bike's weight, CCoG, and when factoring stock steel - perhaps with a cat/conv - against a carbon or light weight aluminum casing. All other factors are secondary, IMO. Changing exhaust just for looks or sound, man oh man, I wish I had that kind of disposable income.

Online st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2019, 04:14:15 PM »
Thanks, Miles. 
So, basically, the real benefits of a slip on seem to be limited to sound or looks, maybe a little weight loss.

YES this ^...
I think it's a great idea, go for it.  :bigok:
She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider

Online Baxter

« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2019, 04:37:21 PM »
Chornbe, thanks.  The street legal slip on I've been considering reduces weight by about 3 pounds.  That's probably not very significant.  A full system that also deletes the cat may be much more significant in weight as well as changing performance if followed through with the intake and a remapping. 

I'm thinking that if the slip on is only for sound, why should I bother?  The sound is nice but I wear earplugs anyway.

My desire is to make the Ninjette more efficient and increase range on the highway.  More power for city traffic isn't really needed.  She has plenty of power for excessive riding if I'm anywhere close to legal.

But curiously, my wife's first comment on seeing the Ninjette was to criticize the side exhaust can.  My Ninja 650R had her exhaust hidden underneath the body.  The Ninjette has a large can, but it's not unpleasantly designed.  A buddy had a Zuk Bandit 1250 a while ago and it had a giant shiney garbage can of an exhaust on it's side.  He ordered an Akra before the bike arrived at the dealership.
I broke the internet!

Online Baxter

« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2019, 04:47:30 PM »
Thanks, Miles. 

YES this ^...
I think it's a great idea, go for it.  :bigok:

St2sam, thanks but $500 just to lower the pitch and drop 3 pounds might be too much for my partial Scottish ancestry to get on board.  But I've probably spent more on impractical things before.  And now's the time to consider these changes because I can amortize the cost over the next 10 or more years.

Can anyone guess that I'm torn?  And that I'm really good at justification?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 05:02:42 PM by Baxter »
I broke the internet!

Online thatguy

• Motorcycles: a few
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2019, 07:53:16 PM »
My Tuono is currently running the 19 pound OEM muffler. Sound's great but is huge and heavy. But it's quiet enough I can zoom by Officer Friendly w/o drawing undue attention. I have the Aprilia accessory slip-on but it's kinda loud and has a dip in the torque curve around 5000 RPM with is about 80MPH in top gear. Right where i like to cruise. I bounce back and forth between the two. The Loud one does sound great with the big twin booming exhaust note. I generally run it in the summer.
sometimes WTF is the appropriate answer

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2019, 09:13:26 AM »
Aftermarket slip on?  Skip it.  For $400 or thereabouts, you can have a nice long weekend road trip and stay under the popo-dar.  I like stealth. 

I've had them on used bikes, but I never bought them.  One (the KLR) was obscenely obnoxious, killed the power and quickly got removed for a nice used stock replacement. The POS aftermarket got tossed in the recycling bin.  OTOH, the Yoshs on the Trophy were not obnoxious and didn't offend my sensibilities or hearing.  Same with the Remus system on the 1150GS.
--Tom

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2019, 09:15:19 AM »
I've had them on used bikes, but I never bought them.

Ditto.

I've gone back to OEM on pretty much every cruiser I've ever had that the PO did aftermarket on. Too loud, ran like shit, and made me lots of money because OEM are basically give-away for the chrome and leather crowd.