Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How low do you go?  (Read 5356 times)

Offline marc11

How low do you go?
« on: November 12, 2013, 03:05:39 PM »
So how low do you go temp wise?  Going to be 19 tomorrow morning...that is cold. I will ride into the low 20's but do not recall ever heading out below 20 degrees.
2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
Re: How low do you go?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 03:08:18 PM »
As long as the road is dry.  I haven't gone below zero yet, but have been perfectly comfy in single digits.  Proper gear is key.

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 03:08:46 PM »
I generally keep it to mid/upper 30s for the start of a ride, but upper 20s has been done if the roads are dry. I generally won't head out if the high isn't at least 40 though (because it's probably ski season, even if it's man-made snow).
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline marc11

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 03:17:10 PM »
Dry roads and gear are key.  I was inches away from heading out this AM.  It was in the low 30's so temp wise not bad, but they said there was a "chance" for snow or rain.  Usually if there is a chance for rain I ride anyway, more often than not it will either pour or nothing.

This time, my gut said don't ride and I am glad I listened.  Walked outside and the driveway had ice spots on it where it was damp and then, about half way to work it started to snow hard all for the rest of the drive.

I have had times where I rode to work and it was fine, and then snowed all the way home.  Scary crap.
2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 03:19:23 PM »

I have had times where I rode to work and it was fine, and then snowed all the way home.  Scary crap.

Yup, sitting there at the office thinking "how the hell am I going to get home" makes for a long day.  Especially this time of the year when it's dark at 4:30.

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 03:20:56 PM »
the coldest I've ever ridden was -18. but that was a short distance (to the bar) and only so we could say we did it. typically the mid 20's is as cold as I find enjoyable. after that its just no fun.. Anything below 40 requires electrics IMO. ya, ya, you can do it without but its soo much better with a little extra heat.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 03:22:05 PM »
And even with electrics I make sure I at least have a sweatshirt in the bags just in case something goes tits up.

Offline marc11

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 03:34:26 PM »
the coldest I've ever ridden was -18. but that was a short distance (to the bar) and only so we could say we did it. typically the mid 20's is as cold as I find enjoyable. after that its just no fun.. Anything below 40 requires electrics IMO. ya, ya, you can do it without but its soo much better with a little extra heat.

I do not care what the "purists" think, there is no reason not to use heat if you can.  Heck, I have turned on my heated jacket in temps in the low 40's because, why not???  Does it make me less of a rider?  Do I care?  Nope and nope.
2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Offline FJR1300

• Administrator
  • Motorcycles: None
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 03:36:15 PM »
When I had the Gold Wing it didn't matter how cold it was as long as it wasn't snowing. I had an electric suit and I rode 365 days a year. I remember pulling up to a traffic light one winter and a guy in a truck next to me was freezing. You could see his breath. I pushed up the visor and said I was too warm. He looked at me like I was crazy.

Offline Moto Morphin Power Ranger

• Ottenere una moto vera
  • Motorcycles: 2009 Moto-Guzzi Griso 8V, 1978 Yamaha XS1100
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 04:15:32 PM »
The lowest i went was 19 and i would have killed for heated gear.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The humiliation I suffered that day will not go unpunished. My pain is the bubbling cauldron of molten steel that will forge the saber of your demise. I shall not be denied my vengeance Haa Ha Ha HaaHa Ha Ha Ha

Online Cookie

• Contributor
  • You do not want me as moderator.
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 04:26:37 PM »
As long as the road is dry.  I haven't gone below zero yet, but have been perfectly comfy in single digits.  Proper gear is key.

^
narcissistic d-bag, you.

Offline st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 07:16:52 PM »
I have heated gear but don't like riding when it gets below freezing. Most tires have a tuff time getting warm enough for good grip.
I also have a hard time telling if runoff is ice or water?

I rode a few times when the temps were in the low 20's but when it's that cold I rather drive the truck. :bigok:
She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 07:36:41 PM »
I was supposed to take my F800 up to the dealer tomorrow a.m. so they could check on something, but I'm blowing it off because it'll be like 33 f'n degrees. 

Oh, to have my youth again!

Offline 2RR2NV

• if you gotta go, go with a smile!!
  • Motorcycles: 2012 ZX-14R "the Flaming Hulk"
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 09:07:47 AM »
the coldest lately has been 30 with a bit of snow falling otw home from work. no heated gear at the time, but i was smiling just the same. also, I'm still getting over the new ride feeling, so i would have been grinning no  matter what.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

the coldest ever was 15 above with no electrics. was not prepared for that since the temp dropped from 55 degrees to 15 in the span of 15 mins otw home from work.

I do have electrics, but....  not hooked up to the bike yet, and it hasn't gotten cold enough yet. now, mind you, if i was going up in the Hills, I'd totally want electrics working since the temps jump all over the place up there.
previous rides: 2011 GSXR750, 2007 FJR1300, 2004 GSXR750, 2002 Busa, 2002 VFR800, 1992 Honda Nighthawk CB750

Offline marc11

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 06:52:15 AM »
24 when I left my house this morning. Tried my new TPG Expedition suit. Not as cold as I expected. In fact with just a heated jacket and gloves with no other special layers I was comfortable. Except my feet they became cold after about 20 miles. I'll use my heated socks tmw.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Offline Royal Tiger

• Deutsche Rüstungs-Abteilung
  • Motorcycles: See Signature
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 07:52:28 AM »
I was looking at some heated gear but I rarely ride this time of year, because I never have time, so it seemed like a waste.

I have been out in single digits and it sucked.  Mostly for fingers and toes.  Once your hands turn white it seems like it takes forever to get them warm again. 
~Dan

2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge * 2005 BMW R1200ST * 2003 Yamaha PW80

Offline marc11

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2013, 07:55:54 AM »
I was looking at some heated gear but I rarely ride this time of year, because I never have time, so it seemed like a waste.

I have been out in single digits and it sucked.  Mostly for fingers and toes.  Once your hands turn white it seems like it takes forever to get them warm again.

I agree.  Cold fingers and toes are the worst.  Heated gloves and socks really make a huge difference in riding in even cooler temps.  With the advent of heated gear, I see no reason to ever be bulked up through layers and or ever feel even the slightest chill.
2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2013, 08:04:41 AM »
It was a beautiful day yesterday but I was stuck at work. I did manage to get a ride in after dark though. It was 46 when I left home at 5:00 and still 44 when I got home at 8:00, great night for a ride, I did have the heated grips on but not my vest and was perfectly comfortable.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2013, 09:00:28 AM »
I've gone through this before but:

My first criteria is dry roads.  That means if it's below freezing, the weather has to have been dry for a few days prior, to decrease the chance of black ice from frost/ground water.

After that, I ride down to about 25F with gear.  Between 15 and 25, I generally don't ride, cuz it's not as fun and I'm not setting a record.  Below 15, I'll ride in the hopes of setting a new low temp riding record (currently it's 12F).

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2013, 09:05:16 AM »
Below 15, I'll ride in the hopes of setting a new low temp riding record (currently it's 12F).

:bigok:

I was dropping Beth off at the airport a few years ago and it was 15 below zero.  The whole way there I was thinking I hope I can get back home to get the bike before it warms up too much. 

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2013, 10:00:02 AM »
24 when I left my house this morning. Tried my new TPG Expedition suit. Not as cold as I expected. In fact with just a heated jacket and gloves with no other special layers I was comfortable. Except my feet they became cold after about 20 miles. I'll use my heated socks tmw.

You still going to do a review? I am very curious about how that suit will work. Came close to getting a 'stitch this year.

I will ride 20's if it is dry, and even better if it is daylight. I will do teens on occasion. The thing about riding in that weather is temp AND length of exposure. You can run out to the mailbox in your shorts when it is 5 degrees out, but a 3 mile walk to the store is not advisable. Same for riding, 30 degree commute for 25 minutes, no problem, 30 degrees and 8 hours, you might get cold....
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Offline marc11

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2013, 10:27:15 AM »

You still going to do a review? I am very curious about how that suit will work. Came close to getting a 'stitch this year.

I will ride 20's if it is dry, and even better if it is daylight. I will do teens on occasion. The thing about riding in that weather is temp AND length of exposure. You can run out to the mailbox in your shorts when it is 5 degrees out, but a 3 mile walk to the store is not advisable. Same for riding, 30 degree commute for 25 minutes, no problem, 30 degrees and 8 hours, you might get cold....

My commute is only 30 minutes each way, so I can go to below 20 if needed, especially if I take the local way and keep the highway riding to a minimum.  (some is unavoidable)

Yes I will do a review, I used it for the first time this morning, so I wanted to get a couple of rides in with it before a write up.  Look for one over the next day or so.  Initial impressions are good...
2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Offline Doug Just Doug

• Will Ride For Food
    • Tilted Horizons (on hiatus)
  • Motorcycles: 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2013, 01:10:35 PM »
So long as the roads are reasonably safe, I'll ride. I've done short rides in single digits a few times without heated gear or grips, though last year I finally found some handlebar muffs that work for me; now they'll be on anytime it gets below ~30.