Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Card/board/dice games!  (Read 15953 times)

Offline bluepoof

• bluepoof.com
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250
Card/board/dice games!
« on: April 14, 2014, 10:59:38 AM »
OK, fess up, who else is a card, board, or dice game nerd?  :D

I have a decent collection started and wish I had time to play more.  Currently I get out every other Tuesday for a game night at a local lounge.  We usually start with the Coup card game and then move on a bigger game.  Past weeks have included Lords of Waterdeep, King of Tokyo, Quarriors, Ghost Stories...depends on what people feel like playing that night.

I just picked up Dead Panic and Lords and Ladies but haven't played either with a group yet (I've played Dead Panic a couple of times by myself just to get the mechanics down enough to be able to teach it). 

Carl, you were mentioning the Walking Dead card game over in the rant thread...how's that one?

Offline CosmicCowboy

Re: Card/board/dice games!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 11:22:02 AM »
I will never admit it.

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 11:43:34 AM »
Neither will I. But I do love a good boardgame-Kings and Things, etc etc
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 01:09:04 PM »
Yea I have a few such games :)  I've gotten into a few card type games but the CCG's are annoying and my OCD has me trying to "Collect Them All!"

As to board games, there are quite a few interesting ones depending on what you're trying to do and the size of the group.

Pandemic is a pretty good game for 1 to 4 people. It's cooperative so one person can know the rules real well and help others without "winning".

Castles of Burgundy is another favorite of mine. It's a bit fiddly in the number of bits used for play but it's quick to understand how the game plays then you're working on strategy.

Formula De was great fun at the Board Game Day a couple of weeks back. It uses different sized dice for your gears to tell how fast (number of spaces) you can go. From a d4 up to a d30.

Aztlan is another resource management game. Up to four tribes that work together or fight over lands.

Tzolken is a resource management game. Multiple wheels on the board change the outcome of your position as the wheel turns.

Level 7 Escape is a Zombie type game. You start at level 7 and work your way out.

For longer games, Talisman is fun but can take several hours to play. Same with Arkham Horror (this one is cooperative). Both have a lot of expansions which can take the game up to 6, 8 or more hours of play.

The new Star Wars miniature game from Fantasy Flight works pretty well. It's pretty easy to get set up and you can fly X-Wing fighters, Millennium Falcon, and Dart Vader's fighter. The mini games tend to get pricy though.

And for the best fun, Cards Against Humanity. Not for the kids though :)

Carl
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 No matter where you go, there you are.

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 01:16:43 PM »
Yeah, Formula De is a great game.

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 01:19:22 PM »
Oh, The Walking Dead card game.

You have 104 Walker cards numbered sequentially and a set of Hero cards. The Walker cards have bullets on them, from 1 to 6 as I recall. These count as points at the end of the game.

Each person gets 14 Walker cards then four Walkers are laid on the table. Each person also gets one Hero card.

The idea is to lay higher card values to the right of the base cards. When you reach 5 cards in a row, the next person with a higher card value takes the stack.

Each player selects 1 or 2 cards from their hand. When all have selected, all turn over the cards at the same time. All cards are placed sequentially. So if Carl played a 32 and a 54 and Bob played an 18 and a 92, Bob would play the 18 first, then Carl for the 32, then Carl again for the 54, then Bob for the 92.

If you put a card down where the card value was not higher than any of the right most cards on the table, that card will reset the stack with the highest right most value (placed to the right of the stack with the highest value; the 92 above for example).

The Hero card is used to jump in the order. If there's a 5 stack on the table and you don't have any cards that will go to the right of it, you can play your Hero card along with any other Walker card. When cards are flipped over, you go first regardless of your card value. You do still need to match the requirements above and someone with a Hero card and Walker card less than yours goes before you do.

It was interesting in that there weren't a lot of rules to worry about and pretty simple. The strategy is where you get the points. Playing 1 card vs 2 or playing a sequence. For example, I the stack had an 18 to the right and I had a 20 and a 21 card. With other stacks having higher numbers, I'm pretty confident that my 21 will take the stack with 20 to the right. The only time I'd be foiled is if my opponent plays a Hero card along with something higher than a 20 and I'd lose the stack.

Carl

Offline bluepoof

• bluepoof.com
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 03:27:52 PM »
Formula De sounds fun!  I might have to pick that one up.  Do you recommend De or the newer version (Formula D), or doesn't it matter?

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 03:50:28 PM »
They're both the same. Formula De is the first version. Formula D is the US version (or second edition or something).

The change is with managing vehicles. With the first edit, you had a card for each car and a sheet of paper for 1 lap or 2 laps. You marked off the damage with a pencil as it occurred. The new one has a card but with a plastic bit that fits into it, something like a gear shifter I think. So no waste of paper. I think the cars are a little different as well. I have pictures of the game Saturday. I'll see if I can remember to post them up.

Carl

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 04:05:15 PM »
And if you have knowledge of Cthulhu (HP Lovecraft's gods and the commercialization thereof :) ), The Doom That Ate Atlantic City might be fun.

Monopoly sized board with Neutral Gates vs Railroads and passing Mi-Go instead of passing Go.

There are 8 old god miniatures, each with a unique characteristic.

There's a Chants deck of cards and another deck (can't think of the name) where the powers come from.

You have 5 gate markers.

Each lot has 2 houses to start.

You have three actions.

1. Throw 2 dice to move around the board.
2. Combat with another Old God if you're in the same region (5 lot sections between Neutral Gates and corners).
3. Destruction.

Combat is easy. You roll for attack, the other guy rolls for defense. If you tie or win, you get one of his cultists. Otherwise nothing happens.

You're trying to destroy the two houses. When you destroy the second one, you put a Gate in its place. When you get 6 gates, you win. (Note you only have 5 gate cards. You don't need a 6th because that's when you win :) ).

You also get a Doom card at the beginning of the game. This provides an alternate method of winning. You have to land on one of your own gates to activate the Doom.

It took us about 30 minutes or so to play a game. We played three. Jeanne won, then I won, then she did.

One of the fun things is if you get doubles on movement, you take another turn. If you get doubles on combat, you attack again. If you get doubles on destruction, you get to try and destroy again. The bad part, if you get three doubles before your turn passes to the next person, you're banished from the board. You have to roll 2 dice and get under the number of cultists you currently have in order to get back on the board at the Mi-Go space.

Cultists and Houses are 'currency'. You have to sacrifice cultists or turn in houses to active actions on the Chants card or the other card.

Carl

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 06:03:50 PM »
I throw tons of cardboard away every day.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 06:07:01 PM »
I throw tons of cardboard away every day.

Nobody asked you.

:P  ;D

Carl

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 06:16:24 PM »
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Nodaclu

• Contributor
  • Motorcycling career on hold...
  • Motorcycles: Pending...
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 11:25:40 PM »
Carolyn and Carl,

I have absolutely no clue what either of you are talking about. But after reading the thread, I have to admit, it sounds like fun. :)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle...

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 11:38:40 PM »
My favorite card game is Nuclear War.

Most games end with everybody losing, which I find amusing.

My favorite board game (if you could call a canvas map a board) is Privateer, now called by the inane name of Pirateer.

I have the original set with the silk screened canvas map and wooden pieces.

My favorite dice game is Cosmic Wimpout.

Finding anybody to play these games is a challenge.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 12:04:00 AM »

My favorite board game (if you could call a canvas map a board) is Privateer, now called by the inane name of Pirateer.

Exactly what he said.

Though we've been calling Privateer "The Boat Game" for more than twenty years now (the "board" has absorbed many alcohol-based fluids during that time).
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

"I like the beverages."  -CLAY

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 07:25:34 AM »

Yep, and you can still get it along with the 4 expansions :D

Gloom can be fun depending on the group. If you are familiar with movies and quote them, you might find the Z-Man B Movie card games fun.

ahh, favorites. Mine are "Wooden Ships and Iron Men" and "Richthofen's War". I'm a fan of Cosmic Encounters as well.

Quarriors and Lord of The Rings are interesting Dice Building games.

There are several scenario type board games with individual pieces that the scenario selects and places. Descent, Mice and Mystics, and Mansions of Madness.

Another fun one is Whitechapel where you're playing London bobbies after Jack The Ripper. Ticket to Ride is fun and easy for casual gamers. Dominant Species has an interesting game play and depicts evolution. Lords of Vega$ was fun as well. Robo Rally is a good game, especially if you're a computer guy :)

For card games, I liked the DC deckbuilding game. Star Wars, Netrunner, and Mage Wars are fun deck building games.

depends on where you live. There are a few meetup groups for board gaming. I'm an organizer for one of the largest role playing groups (over 900 members) and we play board games as well.

The local game stores generally have a board game night or two. You might try there as well.

Carl

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 09:11:25 AM »
On my own shelf, the games I can think of off hand:

Risk
Axis and Allies
Diplomacy (this one never goes well)
Battlemasters
Frag
And I can't remember the name of the Judge Dredd game

Offline bluepoof

• bluepoof.com
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2014, 09:49:46 AM »
Another +1 for MeetUp for finding people to play with.  That's where I found my gaming group. :inlove: 

Nuclear War is great! That was the first nerdy board game that I remember playing, back in high school.  I brought my copies out the other day with some friends and found the original "play by mail" instruction sheets....ah, the days before the internet. :lol:

Tonight is my game night. :D  I'm trying to convince someone to bring Formula D.  :lol:

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2014, 12:48:51 PM »
Oh, I also have a nice set of this game:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2932/hnefatafl

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2014, 01:02:45 PM »
Another +1 for MeetUp for finding people to play with.  That's where I found my gaming group. :inlove: 

I have never heard of that- but I just googled it and it is way cool!   :thumbsup:
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
  • Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2014, 01:05:52 PM »
I used to play a lot of card games growing up, and board games, too. Dan isn't much fun when it comes to this stuff, so sadly the games/cards languish in my cupboard  :(
www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2014, 01:59:19 PM »
Well, MeetUp seems a cool way to find new folks to play with (but I'm not sure about a Switzerland component).  There are a bunch of different gaming groups here in Grand Rapids. 
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2014, 03:42:47 PM »
On my own shelf, the games I can think of off hand:

Risk
Axis and Allies
Diplomacy (this one never goes well)
Battlemasters
Frag
And I can't remember the name of the Judge Dredd game

Diplomacy is the best old style board game, bar none.

Offline fourstring

• Motorcycles: Versys 650 LT
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2014, 06:31:32 PM »
My brother still asks me to play Magic with him whenever I'm back in town.  I swear some of these decks are ready to graduate high school.

In no particular order, we're still playing:

Cards Against Humanity (stupid, but funny)
Munchkin
Settlers of Catan
Carcasonne

Don't get Jadzia started on Star Trek CCG...
For all the people that reside there, the center of the universe must be awfully crowded.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2014, 06:51:02 PM »
Dice: Boggle & Yahtzee

Cards: Hearts, Spades, Bridge, Pinochle, Crazy 8s...

Board: Pente, Chutes & Ladders.

Quite honestly, I quit playing games a long time ago.

:shrug:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Bender

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2014, 06:54:12 PM »
Does go fish count ?  :o

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2014, 07:00:15 PM »
Does go fish count ?  :o

It does in my book.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2014, 07:25:25 PM »

That's okay. Some folks do get old sooner than others :D

Carl

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2014, 07:48:39 PM »

Carl

:fitz:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2014, 08:04:51 PM »

Carl

You keep lining them up, I keep shooting them down. :D

Carl

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2014, 08:12:59 PM »

Carl

You keep lining them up, I keep shooting them down. :D

Carl

Lawn darts?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline bluepoof

• bluepoof.com
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2014, 09:40:00 PM »
We wound up playing a couple of rounds of Frank's Zoo (card game) last night, followed by Euphoria: Build A Better Dystopia.  That one was really slow to get started because there were about 10 million rules, but once we got the hang of it, it was fun.  I had to leave partway through the game because I am old and tired, but I would play it again.

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2014, 10:40:46 PM »
Cool. That was one of the games I've seen at the store but wasn't sure enough to get yet. Too many other interesting games out there :)

Carl

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2014, 10:25:40 AM »
I like getting pics of the games I'm playing so here are a few:

Star Wars CCG:

Mage Wars:

Level 7 Escape:

Talisman w/City:

Dominant Species:

Tzolke'n:

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2014, 10:29:21 AM »
Aztlan:

Relic (Warhammer based Talisman):

Castles of Burgundy:

Whitechapel (the Red spots are where we've found dead prostitutes):

Ticket to Ride:

Ogre!:

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2014, 10:34:42 AM »
Zombicide:

Cards Against Humanity:

Robo Rally:

X-Wing Fighter:

Pandemic:

Formula De:

The Doom That Came To Atlantic City

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2014, 10:37:36 AM »
And finally, the game pictures :)

Waiting to be put in order. I have to get carpet in and then get the stuff put back so I can put things away.

As you know, it doesn't exist without pictures :D

Carl

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2014, 01:03:48 PM »
I've got thousands of Warhammer figures....

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2014, 02:11:41 PM »
And finally, the game pictures :)

Waiting to be put in order. I have to get carpet in and then get the stuff put back so I can put things away.

Thread jack...is that the Ibanez Sound Gear with neck through body?

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2014, 02:12:32 PM »

Diplomacy is the best old style board game, bar none.

I agree. Not always good to play with someone with whom you wish to remain friends, though.

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2014, 02:59:12 PM »

It's an Ibanez SR800, SDgr (SoundGear):

Features

SR4 5pc Jatoba/Bubinga neck
    Poplar Burl top/Mahogany body
    Rosewood fretboard w/Abalone oval inlay
    24 Medium frets
    Accu-cast B300 bridge
    Bartolini® MK-1 neck pickup
    Bartolini® MK-1 bridge pickup
    EQB-IIIS 3-band eq w/Mid frequency switch
    Gold hardware

I want to say it's not a neck through body though.

Carl

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2014, 02:03:20 PM »

It's an Ibanez SR800, SDgr (SoundGear):

Features

SR4 5pc Jatoba/Bubinga neck
    Poplar Burl top/Mahogany body
    Rosewood fretboard w/Abalone oval inlay
    24 Medium frets
    Accu-cast B300 bridge
    Bartolini® MK-1 neck pickup
    Bartolini® MK-1 bridge pickup
    EQB-IIIS 3-band eq w/Mid frequency switch
    Gold hardware

Nice. But yeah, not the neck through.

Offline Royal Tiger

• Deutsche Rüstungs-Abteilung
  • Motorcycles: See Signature
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2014, 04:44:06 PM »
A friend from work has gotten me into Flames of War.  A WWII 15mm miniatures game.

Here is a pic I took of our last game:

~Dan

2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge * 2005 BMW R1200ST * 2003 Yamaha PW80

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2014, 05:53:30 PM »
Five pages in and I still can't figure out what cardboard dice are.

Sent from the Moto X. A wicked awesome phone.

“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

― Frank Zappa

Offline Meemuh

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '91 Nighthawk.
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2014, 09:36:39 PM »
I like euchre.

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2014, 09:37:09 PM »
Five pages in and I still can't figure out what cardboard dice are.

Sent from the Moto X. A wicked awesome phone.

Sent from the Forbidden Zone by mice with tophats.
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

"I like the beverages."  -CLAY

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2014, 09:01:56 AM »
I play the Star Trek CCG, and yes, I have collected them all. Thank gods Decipher went bust, so I only have to print the new cards the Players Committee designs.

Fourstring and I also have a small collection of German board games; Catan, Power Grid and Carcassonne to name a few of the better known ones.

Oh, and we are definitely Terrible People.

Sent through subspace from the U.S.S. Enterprise.
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2014, 09:04:50 AM »

I like euchre.

When I was in grad school in Boston I could always tell which students were from the Midwest because they knew how to play euchre. I love it!

Sent through subspace from the U.S.S. Enterprise.
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Offline Royal Tiger

• Deutsche Rüstungs-Abteilung
  • Motorcycles: See Signature
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2014, 09:12:02 AM »
I consider Flames of War a "dice" game since it's all resolved with 6 sided dice.  I used to love playing Axis & Allies.  I have the computer version on my laptop.  I never got to play Fortress America or Conquest of the Empire.  I always wanted to try those.  Some of the ones Carl posted look very interesting.  Shame I'm nowhere near Colorado.  I'm sure he'd teach some of them to me.
~Dan

2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge * 2005 BMW R1200ST * 2003 Yamaha PW80

Offline 2RR2NV

• if you gotta go, go with a smile!!
  • Motorcycles: 2012 ZX-14R "the Flaming Hulk"
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2014, 12:10:20 PM »
AD&D 2nd Edition (and still running it every other Sat.)

Miss playing a lot of games. When I get my library set up, I'll have a section devoted to JUST games... WOOOOOOT
previous rides: 2011 GSXR750, 2007 FJR1300, 2004 GSXR750, 2002 Busa, 2002 VFR800, 1992 Honda Nighthawk CB750