Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mimsy were the borogoves  (Read 1546 times)

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
Mimsy were the borogoves
« on: April 05, 2014, 06:13:35 PM »
A long time ago I read the classic sci-fi story Mimsy were the borogoves (written by Henry Kuttner and Catherine Moore in 1943).  I guess the recentish movie The Last Mimzy was based on the story, but I haven't seen it, so I couldn't say much about that.

Anyhow, the basic premise of the book is that an educational toy from the future winds up in the hands of a current-day kid and he learns non-Euclidean geometry and the like from playing with this strange toy.

I just downloaded a game for my iPad called "Monument Valley" and I swear, it's doing to me what that future toy did to the kid in that story.
This game is rewiring my brain and teaching me to examine things in strange, non-traditionally rational ways by working through puzzles and solving them in ways that would make MC Escher happy.

I strongly urge anybody with an iDevice to try the game. At $3.99 it's more expensive than most, but you'll soon understand why the cost is high- it's well worth the money.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
Re: Mimsy were the borogoves
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 08:06:37 PM »
Okay, it sounds interesting. I looked it up and found a kindle edition. Is this the thing where you guide a princess through different architecture and things like that? This was $3.99, but I am not sure this was it.....can you describe it  little more?
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 10:16:26 PM »
That's the one.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Offline JonS

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Tuono, 2014 Triumph Street Triple R
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 06:27:26 AM »
From the video on the Monument Valley website, it looks very interesting. Hopefully, they will release a version for Chrome, which I have. Said there is an Android game coming soon. :thumbsup:
You can't avoid aging, but you don't have to get old.