Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Zumo  (Read 3681 times)

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R) ... Indian Scout (RIP)
New Zumo
« on: April 04, 2014, 07:11:32 PM »
I'm reading mixed info on when it will (or has) come out.

Zumo 590LM

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/36738/garmin-zumo-590lm-motorcycle-gps-finds-curvy-roads-for-you/index.html

compatible with the iPhone or iPad for music playback control from the touchscreen. Weather and traffic details are offered on the GPS device screen thanks to an app that runs on the smartphone.

One of the coolest features of this device is that it has a function that lets you choose your ride based on distance, time, or location.
You can also have the GPS device choose a curvy route for you to take to your destination.
The 590LM will sell for $799.99
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Offline Downs

• Formerly known as Jeepinbanditrider
  • Motorcycles: 1978 GS1000E 2004 VSTROM 650
Re: New Zumo
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 07:39:35 PM »
For 800 dollars I better be getting something more than a GPS. 

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 09:26:12 PM »
That's what a ruggedized, waterproof, high-function, highly optioned unit sells for. :shrug:
this signature on hold pending review

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 09:43:23 PM »
cool feature on the weather map via your smart phone.  that beats having to pay for an mounting a separate antenna. 
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 06:53:13 AM »
The problem is they keep adding all these whiz bang features and the basic routing/tracks/navigation seem to get worse with every generation.

Offline Downs

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 10:37:23 AM »
The problem is they keep adding all these whiz bang features and the basic routing/tracks/navigation seem to get worse with every generation.

Exactly give me a basic unit that is waterproof and lets me do my own routing.  The Garmin Nuvi 1450 that I have for my car and at the time I bought it was "top of the line" only cost 150 dollars.  But all of a sudden add some waterproofness and "vibration resistance" and the price jumps 600 dollars? 

I run a ZUMO unit (550) and generally like it but the NUVI1450 is superior to it in nearly all aspects except for waterproofness.  It also lacks bluetooth but that doesn't matter to me as I don't even use it on my ZUMO.

Offline RBEmerson

• Motorcycles: "Habu", black '17 Yamaha FJR 1300ES, '03 BMW K1200RS (RIP)
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 03:49:44 PM »
In the most important regard: useful routing, the 550 is simply unreliable here in Germany. Almost any road outside of a town or city has a (national) speed limit of 100 km/hr (60 MPH). For that reason, any attempt to pick a fast route over any distance results in being sent up routes that are simply not workable for fast travel. Either the route passes through town after town after town (national city and town speed limit is 50 km/hr or 30 MPH and it can often be 30 km/hr or 18 MPH - "blitzers" or speed cameras wait for the impatient), down county roads that are often 1 1/2 lanes and in miserable condition (yes, some German roads well and truly suck) as well as being used by tractors hauling... whatever, or all of the above. At best, it takes looking at a map to pick some intermediate points and/or heading for the nearest autobahn and hoping for the best. "Take me to the twisties" navigation is no better. In short, the routing function is painfully inadequate here.

And, truth be told, even in the States, the suggested routing can be rather bizarre, too.
Are you part of the solution or part of the precipitate?

Offline Downs

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 04:31:52 PM »
That's why I build my own routes on Basecamp and load them to a GPS.  Some GPSes still can't take Routes which is bizarre to me.  It's one reason why I bought the 1450 for the car.  When the 550 dies again (it has once before and I traded for a refurb unit) I'll just slap the 1450 on the bike and use that until it dies.  The screen is MUCH bigger to boot and it has better features than the 550.

Offline Meemuh

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '91 Nighthawk.
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 08:21:23 PM »
Sorry (kinda) to thread jack...does the almighty iPhone 4s have genuine sat based GPS capability?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline USAMEDIC

• Motorcycles: 2010 R1200gsa 30th Anniversary Edition
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 01:22:22 AM »
Yes it does, and you can buy the full garmin app that has all the data on your phone. But it's not waterproof, and depending on what you want it can or cannot work. There is issues with those touchscreens and gloves. Most of the issues can be overcome but it takes spending money elsewhere, and none work as well as a dedicated unit, IMO.

Sorry (kinda) to thread jack...does the almighty iPhone 4s have genuine sat based GPS capability?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SuperHans

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 05:56:56 AM »
I had 26xx series that finally died a couple of years back. Ever since then I've been using my smartphone with a Otterbox and a Ram Mount along with a cheap Garmin GPS/Ram Mount. I use Waze on my Galaxy Note II for traffic information, weather, and music via bluetooth to my Sena.

The Garmin is for routing when I don't have cell signal. I'm not too concerned with being able to use my gloved hand to look through the screens. I'm probably better off not looking messing with the devices when riding and it's not a big deal to take my glove off for a minute when stopped.

I just can't justify that kind of money for a Zumo. I just throw a sandwich bag/rubber band over my cheap Garmin if it looks like heavy rain. ;D

Offline redbandit14

• Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250S
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 09:41:42 AM »
I just can't justify that kind of money for a Zumo. I just throw a sandwich bag/rubber band over my cheap Garmin if it looks like heavy rain. ;D
I do the same. The issue with Non Motorcycle GPS's is the USB power cable. The Connection gets loose and eventually you can't power the thing on.

At least that's been my experience.  And I'm still WAY too fucking  cheap to get a zumo LOL .