Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bike won't start (intermittent)  (Read 16106 times)

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
  • Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
Bike won't start (intermittent)
« on: March 29, 2014, 04:58:58 AM »
This is the second time now I've taken the Transalp out for a ride and it won't start (mid-ride, of course).

The specs:
2009 Honda Transalp
18,000km
stock everything

The situation:
Bike starts right up in the garage (two out of the last two times at least)
Ride for a while, stopping the engine with the kill switch (as I've done for every bike I've owned)
Do whatever (fill up, take a photo) and try to start the bike - no go.

The battery is strong and the bike turns over and over, but won't catch. After a while (10, 20 minutes?) and a few repeated tries, the bike will eventually kick right over like nothing was ever wrong.

- The bike would not bump start (coasted down a mountain road for a mile before I ran out of mountain)
- The battery is strong
- Played with the side stand, clutch, neutral, kill switch, knowing that they could be weak points.

Odd note on the first time this happened: I had 3 (out of 6) bars of fuel when I stopped. When I tried to start the bike again it showed only one. After the bike eventually started it was back up to three. I had to stop again before getting home that day for fuel and after filling up, the bike kicked right over on the first try.

The only thing this bike is "known" for is a weak CDI, but apparently the newer bikes (ie, mine) don't have this problem. So we're thinking spark... but what triggers the spark?

Any suggestions are appreciated, as my weekend ride is now squashed due to this failure. Please note that we have limited tools and no "official" space to work on the bike, so any tinkering has to be fairly small-scale. Otherwise it's going to the shop  :crazy:
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 01:57:54 PM by Mrs. DantesDame »
www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!

Offline Acadian Rider

• Motorcycles: 2017 Super Ténéré ES
Re: Bike won't start (intermittent)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 06:36:22 AM »
I had a motorcycle once that was hard to start when the engine was hot.  Is it overheating??? 

Just a thought. 

Offline Stormcrow

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2003 Triumph Trophy 1200, 1982 Honda GL1100 Standard
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 07:28:48 AM »
My first thought is a bad ignition coil or coils. There was some discussion of this on .net here (albeit for an earlier version of the Transalp):

http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php?topic=74331.0

It is not unheard of for bad coils to cause a failure to start when hot, then function after cooling off.
“For I smell of the earth… and am worn by the weather…”

Buy my wife's art - help support my bad habits
www.elizabethandrewsstudio.com

Offline coucours grad

• Motorcycles: 2008 ST1300 (faSTeST Red) 1992 Kawasaki Concours (RIP)
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 10:46:20 AM »
need to do alittle troubleshooting....

Is it spark or is it fuel....

Get one of those Ghetto spark plug lights, hook it up and go for a ride.When it messes up you'll have an answer.

I've had fueling problems that acted the same way too.
Protect your right to keep and arm bears!

Offline Mac

• Just got out of prison
  • Motorcycles: none
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 10:51:19 AM »
Yes, but if the coils won't start the bike when hot, how would they keep the bike running when hot?

DD, you said the fuel gauge was only showing one bar when it wouldn't start, is it possible the bike is positioned so that you'd need to be in reserve? That would explain the low fuel, then after repositioning, it's back to 3 bars.
May I mambo dogface to the banana patch?

Online Dketchum

• Motorcycles: 2016 Versys 1000
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 11:07:05 AM »
I would seriously have the battery load tested..and make sure the connections are clean and tight...
Batteries and connections (ground issues) can cause some really strange issues.  It worth looking at, doesn't cost anything and using a process of elimination, would take that that out of the steps.
Also do you have a meter and can verify voltage output of the charging system? Step 2.. ;)

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 11:19:02 AM »
Is this bike fuel injected or carbed? On carbed vehicles, no start hot can be related to vapor lock.

Online Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 12:30:28 PM »
Can you get to the spark plug without removing too much?
If so, when the bike does not start, remove the spark plug wire from one of the plugs and put another spark plug in its place. lay the plug on the engine (ground it) then crank away and watch the plug. If there is spark you know it's a fuel problem and if no spark well you know what is missing.
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 12:35:13 PM »
Not sure how relevant this is, but my GL1800 would do that on occasion - just crank and crank while out during a ride but refuse to start, until it had sat for awhile - and the problem turned out to be the 'ignition pulse generator'.

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 02:12:48 PM »
Not sure how relevant this is, but my GL1800 would do that on occasion - just crank and crank while out during a ride but refuse to start, until it had sat for awhile - and the problem turned out to be the 'ignition pulse generator'.

:withstupid:
At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 03:26:13 PM »

I had thae same problem-but it turned out to be the coils.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 04:05:27 PM »
Yes, but if the coils won't start the bike when hot, how would they keep the bike running when hot?

Heat soak. When the cooling system is off, the temp will rise. Try this on your car, after fully warmed up (especially when hot outside) turn the car off but keep the gauges running. Sometimes you can notice this if you stop for 5 minutes and go to restart the vehicle and the temp gauge will spike, but quickly return to normal when the cooling system is running again.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Offline PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 05:03:18 PM »

:withstupid: Too

Go for the easy (cheap) first. Check all grounds. Check the fuel filter if easily accessible.

Unless it's a plugged up fuel filter, which I doubt, a fuel problem would be an expensive problem in a Transalp. It's a fuel injected bike. That would be a problem with a relay, electronics unit or a fuel pump.

I would look at the coils or other electronics as the cause of the problem.
Ride safe!

Offline JReazor

• Ignore Alien Orders
    • The Pace Podcast
  • Motorcycles: SV650, C3, Sprint GT
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2014, 08:31:50 PM »
I just skimmed the responses so I apologize if this has been suggested.

Could it be vapor lock in the fuel line? Have you tried opening the gas cap to see if it will burp when this is happening?

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2014, 12:19:02 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone!

We took our weekend trip anyway, using the train instead of the bikes  :redface:

I have the service manual on pdf so I'll have to see if I can find out where the battery, spark plugs and coil are  :facepalm: (this is no KLR, that's for sure!). We'll go for the easy fixes, of course - we just what sure what they would be. I'll check in again a couple of days after we get a chance to check things out  :thumbsup:

Offline Explorer

• Back roads master
  • Motorcycles: 89 trans alp 02 FZ1 07 tiger 1050
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2014, 12:46:46 PM »
Hi Colleen what you're describing is exactly what my trans-alp was doing when I was fixing it up. I wouldn't start or it would die on me on a ride. It's a known problem with the fuel petcock I would replace or use a rebuild kit. This is a known problem with the trans alp they go bad fast. I would also check the fuel filter. One other problem with the alp is a neutral safety switch located just above the front sprocket it is a single green wire the gets coded in Greece from the chain and the chain oil. Try these I think your bike be running a lot better more stable.
Life's journey is not To arrive At the grave safely In a well preserved body But rather to skid In sideways Totally worn out Shouting Holy shit what a ride.

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2014, 01:21:20 PM »
I'm with scratch. Pulse or cdi.
this signature on hold pending review

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2014, 02:17:27 PM »
Hi Colleen what you're describing is exactly what my trans-alp was doing when I was fixing it up. I wouldn't start or it would die on me on a ride.
Except that the bike runs like a top and has never given me any problems once it is running.

It's a known problem with the fuel petcock I would replace or use a rebuild kit. This is a known problem with the trans alp they go bad fast.
It's a 2009 - to the best of my knowledge, there is no petcock  :redface:

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Trapped!
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2014, 05:37:38 PM »

DAHHHK.  It was my bike that died with this failure.  Twice.  I carry a spare now.
--Tom

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2014, 09:27:19 PM »
My first thought is a bad ignition coil or coils. There was some discussion of this on .net here (albeit for an earlier version of the Transalp):

http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php?topic=74331.0

It is not unheard of for bad coils to cause a failure to start when hot, then function after cooling off.

I like this answer.  When you are running, the coils stay cooler due to air flow.  If the coils are located on top of the engine, you stop, heat rises straight up into them causing failure until they cool off again.   :shrug:

"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2014, 12:46:08 AM »
I like this answer.  When you are running, the coils stay cooler due to air flow.  If the coils are located on top of the engine, you stop, heat rises straight up into them causing failure until they cool off again.   :shrug:

I would like this answer too, if it hadn't been for the time when I stopped only long enough to fill the tank and yet the bike started right up again (this was the on the trip when it happened for the first time). In addition, I would expect that coasting down a cold spring mountain road in an attempt to bump start it would have cooled it down considerably compared to just having it sit in one spot.

I'm just trying to give some more details as you guys give suggestions. Like I said, we won't be able to poke at the bike until tonight or Wednesday, so nothing will happen right away on this side. Unless, of course, one of you wants to come over and check it out  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 12:56:58 AM by Mrs. DantesDame »

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2014, 01:21:54 AM »
So, have you been able to produce a spark/no-spark test when the issue is present? (reading back, appears not yet)

You might need to "get prepared" for the spark test and then take a nice, scenic trip just to reproduce the condition... Such a damned terrible experiment to deal with...
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2014, 06:18:25 AM »

I would like this answer too, if it hadn't been for the time when I stopped only long enough to fill the tank and yet the bike started right up again (this was the on the trip when it happened for the first time). In addition, I would expect that coasting down a cold spring mountain road in an attempt to bump start it would have cooled it down considerably compared to just having it sit in one spot.

I'm just trying to give some more details as you guys give suggestions. Like I said, we won't be able to poke at the bike until tonight or Wednesday, so nothing will happen right away on this side. Unless, of course, one of you wants to come over and check it out  :popcorn:

The spark idea - either coil or cdi/pulse unit - is still a good one. It takes WAY more power to spark while cranking than to just spark while riding down the road.
this signature on hold pending review

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R) ... Indian Scout (RIP)
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2014, 07:36:05 AM »
I would add the suggestion of you not use the kill switch for a while (I know, habits are hard to break) as that's the easiest possible source of failure you can eliminate.
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Offline PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2014, 09:44:41 AM »
I would add the suggestion of you not use the kill switch for a while (I know, habits are hard to break) as that's the easiest possible source of failure you can eliminate.

Kill switches have been known to fail but the engine wouldn't turn over. I understand from Mrs D's first post that it does. Or does it?
Ride safe!

Offline Stormcrow

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2003 Triumph Trophy 1200, 1982 Honda GL1100 Standard
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2014, 09:47:54 AM »
Alright!  Our very own, in-house version of "Stump the Chumps".
We'll be waiting breathlessly for the solution to the mystery.  :popcorn:
What does one win for a correct guess?
“For I smell of the earth… and am worn by the weather…”

Buy my wife's art - help support my bad habits
www.elizabethandrewsstudio.com

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2014, 09:51:39 AM »
Alright!  Our very own, in-house version of "Stump the Chumps".
We'll be waiting breathlessly for the solution to the mystery.  :popcorn:
What does one win for a correct guess?

A trip to Switzerland.  (at your own expense)

Every day is my birthday

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2014, 10:19:41 AM »
Cold solder joint in the CDI circuit that opens after a heat soak? DAMHIK.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2014, 11:00:09 AM »
Have you tried turning off and back on again?

Sent from the Moto X. A wicked awesome phone.

“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

― Frank Zappa

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2014, 11:04:00 AM »
Kill switches have been known to fail but the engine wouldn't turn over. I understand from Mrs D's first post that it does. Or does it?
It will always turn over. The actual "catching" is the tricky part.

Have you tried turning off and back on again?
Numerous times  :lol:

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R) ... Indian Scout (RIP)
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2014, 02:59:43 PM »

I've had bikes that would turn over when the kill switch is in 'kill'. Sprint for sure, other's I can't recall which.  I don't consider it a good design.
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2014, 04:09:03 PM »
Get a Velosolex?

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2014, 04:26:04 PM »

This -- if nothing else, it will remove the switch from the list of potential causes.
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Offline giaka

• Contributor
  • I am member # 12
  • Motorcycles: Versys 650 Adventure
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2014, 04:40:55 PM »
When the problem occurs check, fuel, air, spark, compression. Figure out which one is missing.  8)  I would start with removing a plug wire and connected a new spark plug (just carry one along, no need to remove the installed units) to it. Try to start and check for spark.
I don't know how to act my age, I have never been this old before.........
MR MOJO RISIN unscrambled spells JIM MORRISON

-

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2014, 09:03:31 PM »
Is it plugged in?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

― Frank Zappa

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2014, 10:30:48 PM »
It's a Honda not a Zero.

Every day is my birthday

Offline Mac

• Just got out of prison
  • Motorcycles: none
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2014, 10:52:16 PM »
It's a Honda not a Zero.

If it were a Honda, it WOULDN'T be broken!   :blbl:
May I mambo dogface to the banana patch?

Offline JonS

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Tuono, 2014 Triumph Street Triple R
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2014, 05:54:21 AM »

I've had bikes that would turn over when the kill switch is in 'kill'. Sprint for sure, other's I can't recall which.  I don't consider it a good design.

My Suzuki kill button did the same thing to me a couple of times. I took it apart and resembled it. Haven't had the problem since. If it had reoccurred, I would have replaced it.
You can't avoid aging, but you don't have to get old.

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2014, 08:19:21 AM »
I pulled the seat and side plastics off today to check the battery and connections. We didn't find anything suspect. Not really having the ambition nor the space to do much more, we walked over to the dealership where I bought the bike and I gave the guy some shit about my "reliable Honda" having trouble  :naughty: (he's the one who encouraged me NOT to get a BMW because they "break down all of the time" - I should have listened to my gut and bought a BMW anyway).

ANYWAY... the point is that I'm going to drop the bike off, but not until after Easter. So the mystery will remain a mystery for a while longer  :redface:

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2014, 03:02:32 PM »
I love mysteries. Fodder for your next book?  ;D
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2014, 04:15:54 AM »
Mystery (theoretically) solved!

I let the shop do all of the electrical sniffing and snooping and after checking it all over, it came down to a dirty kill switch.

Frustrating because if I'd had my old garage this is probably something that we could have easily fixed. Oh well - its done and it is time to go riding  :thumbsup:

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2014, 08:13:27 AM »
Glad it wasn't something major.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2014, 09:36:53 AM »
Glad it's fixed!  Did anyone call that? 
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2014, 09:43:37 AM »
Glad it's fixed!  Did anyone call that?

It was mentioned as one of many possibilities.

The bike is still for sale though  :bigsmile:

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2014, 01:39:14 PM »
Velosolex.  :gerg:

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2014, 08:09:35 PM »
So i guess there won't be any book.

Every day is my birthday

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2014, 01:37:15 PM »
There might be a book, but it won't be about the Honda  8)