Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Study shows apps on Android crash less than on iOS  (Read 5647 times)

Offline SuperHans

• Contributor
Study shows apps on Android crash less than on iOS
« on: March 28, 2014, 02:06:39 PM »
http://www.androidcentral.com/apps-crashed-most-gingerbread-things-have-improved-according-report

Apps crashed most on Gingerbread, but Android is consistently more stable than iOS according to report

Samsung Galaxy S4 was most stable device, while the iPad 2 was the least stable
It's probably no surprise, but Android 2.3 Gingerbread was the least stable version of Android when it comes to causing app crashes. That's all improved since, however — according to a report from Crittercism, which monitors app usage on over a billion Android and iOS devices, the stability of Android apps surpasses that of iOS across the board in all software versions.

Android apps crashed an average of 1.7 percent of the time on Gingerbread, but the combination of Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean and KitKat crash just 0.7 percent of the time according to the report. By comparison, iOS 6 crashed a much higher 2.5 percent of the time, with iOS 7 cutting that down to 2.1 percent and iOS 7.1 to 1.6 percent. Even with those improvements that's still over double that of modern versions of Android, and not something your average person would actually think if they were asked which platform crashes more.

On the device side, the report finds that the Samsung Galaxy S4 was the most stable device they have data on with a 0.9 percent crash rate, while the highest was the iPad 2 at 2.6 percent. For different kinds of apps, graphically-intensive games naturally crashed the most, while e-commerce apps crashed the least.

Source: Crittercism

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
Re: Study shows apps on Android crash less than on iOS
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 09:38:04 PM »
I find it hard to believe based on my limited experience.  Might be true; then again, you can't believe advertising - I mean reports you read on the internet. 
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  
João Zilhão on the Assimilation Model of Human Origin

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 10:14:30 PM »
Bullshit! I prefer to follow the Apple pie.

And my 15 year old VFR is faster than any of y'alls I4s.   :twofinger:

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 04:26:34 AM »
Pie.

Sent from the Moto X. A wicked awesome phone.

“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

― Frank Zappa

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 09:50:11 AM »
I would say my Apple device crashes at least 10 times a day on average. 

I can't wait for June to roll around and see if the Nexus "8" rears it's head.

Offline misanthropist

• Motorcycles: Griso, GSXR, and projects
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 10:50:19 AM »
I use a note 2 for work. It almost never crashes but it feels glitchy as hell.  Pages hang up on the browser; wifi and data switch on and off at will; maps periodically assesses me as being in Calgary or Philadelphia.

Crash, no.  Maybe once a week an app quits on me, then reboots and is fine.

But the ipad I used to use was much smoother.  I don't recall whether it crashed more than this thing or not, but my point is that crashing is not the only metric for smooth operation.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

Support 12-5

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 01:05:08 PM »

I'd say you're doing it wrong. My 5S never crashes.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 05:38:19 PM »
My ios issues seem to be related to insufficient resourses. The browser will crash on image or video heavy pages such as the gif thread here or on the music forums with several videos. An ad heavy page will also crash the browser. Other apps like Carmageddon, will crash the first time because of insufficient reaources but come up the second time I start it up.

Carl
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 No matter where you go, there you are.

Offline marc11

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 07:14:23 AM »
I use a note 2 for work. It almost never crashes but it feels glitchy as hell.  Pages hang up on the browser; wifi and data switch on and off at will; maps periodically assesses me as being in Calgary or Philadelphia.

But the ipad I used to use was much smoother.  I don't recall whether it crashed more than this thing or not, but my point is that crashing is not the only metric for smooth operation.

If you are not using or allowing the GPS for location services then the system uses the ISP reported location which is not always accurate.

As for iOS well I have been waiting for an hour for my wife's iPad to report the apps being backed up so I can adjust to save icloud space....no luck and that is rebooting twice. IOS 7 is far from stable.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 09:36:43 AM »

Yup.  Clicking on an icon to open an app after a hard reset.  Must be doing something wrong.   :gerg:

Offline misanthropist

• Motorcycles: Griso, GSXR, and projects
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 10:44:42 AM »

If you are not using or allowing the GPS for location services then the system uses the ISP reported location which is not always accurate.

As for iOS well I have been waiting for an hour for my wife's iPad to report the apps being backed up so I can adjust to save icloud space....no luck and that is rebooting twice. IOS 7 is far from stable.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Ordinarily I am using the GPS.

Except when it randomly shuts itself off.
Support 12-5

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 11:35:01 AM »
With a 4S for the past couple years I have not had any freezes, crashes, or needs to reboot that I can think of. I have ten third party apps on the thing (not too many IMO).

You folks that are having issues, are you running a LARGE set of user installed apps? Are you not killing them off when you're not using them?

I'm wondering if the issues you're having are caused by (at least influenced by) user installed apps or if the focus is the device and OS.
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 11:53:30 AM »
They're like Windows (especially Win8) where apps resources aren't released until some other app needs the resourses. Either the manager isn't releasing them fully or not quickly enough. When I restart the app in question, it works fine.

The drum machine app I have specifically says it needs to be the first app running. So I'll start it, let it barf then restart without an issue.

If it was more of a problem, I'd go kill apps before starting the drum machine or carmageddon but it doesn't always happen and it's good after the crash.

Carl

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 12:16:02 PM »
There's a usage thing too. I have an Android device and an iPhone. I find the interface intolerable. But my iPhone3GS would have me throwing it. The iPhone 5 has a much better interface for texting. I find it orders of magnatude better. So I use my iPhone a lot more than the Android phone.

And gaming on the phone works pretty well, from a doom, wolfenstein, carmageddon, etc point of view.

Carl

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2014, 01:53:45 PM »

Yup.  Clicking on an icon to open an app after a hard reset.  Must be doing something wrong.   :gerg:

So you're going to blame the device as opposed to the second party app.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2014, 02:00:06 PM »
Yup, because it happens as often using the built in apps (safari, etc)

Offline SuperHans

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2014, 05:27:16 AM »

If you consider Apples "Walled Garden" approach and the claim of how stable their system is, not to mention the vetting process for their apps, I consider it a OS problem.

I feel the article is pretty much spot on. The older versions of Android were much more buggy. Since the implementation of Jelly Bean my experience has been excellent with very few if almost no issues.

iOS hasn't been bad, but it has had a few more issues on my iPad 4. I have close to one freeze of the system per day. Not a major issue, but when you think about Apples "Walled Garden" approach as I mentioned, it's less than impressive.

I would also like to know how heavy of a user some of you are and how many apps you have on your devices? Its one thing to say you don't have any issues, but all you do is text, call, and occasionally browse the internet, you probably wont have a lot of issues.

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 06:06:37 AM »

If you consider Apples "Walled Garden" approach and the claim of how stable their system is, not to mention the vetting process for their apps, I consider it a OS problem.

I feel the article is pretty much spot on. The older versions of Android were much more buggy. Since the implementation of Jelly Bean my experience has been excellent with very few if almost no issues.

iOS hasn't been bad, but it has had a few more issues on my iPad 4. I have close to one freeze of the system per day. Not a major issue, but when you think about Apples "Walled Garden" approach as I mentioned, it's less than impressive.

I would also like to know how heavy of a user some of you are and how many apps you have on your devices? Its one thing to say you don't have any issues, but all you do is text, call, and occasionally browse the internet, you probably wont have a lot of issues.

YES!  This in a nutshell!  If you claim "It just works", and make the device/OS a closed, patented system (so much so that jailbreaking your device puts you at risk for legal action from at least SOME if not all US carriers), then the "System" gets no passes when an app misbehaves.  It's ALL on Apple and their "System", since the user isn't supposed to tinker with it.  Just use it cuz "It just works".

Anybody who says it's the app developer and not Apple's issue is treading over into Fanboy-land.

Offline PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 09:51:33 AM »

I have serious reservations regarding their "vetting process".
Ride safe!

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 10:12:24 AM »

I do use my mobile devices pretty often but it's generally limited to (in no particular order):

Most common:
Facebook App
Carmageddon (game)
iBook (eBook reader; reading Snow Crash now :) )
Reading mail from 6 accounts
Web browser with Rocksmith score tracking forum, this forum, ubisoft (for Rocksmith), wunderground, and Amazon
Music playing
Texting (mostly Jeanne but others from time to time)

Moderately often:
GoodReader (PDF reader, game material mostly)
Kindle (occasional eBook reader)
MapMyRide when on the bicycle (twice a day during nicer weather)
ShopShop (shopping list manager but only on Saturdays before going shopping)

Less often:
Politico (generally during elections)
Doom
Duke 3d
Risk
iElectribe
Evernote
SplashID (password manager, from time to time)
Unnamable (era based random name generator, during games mostly)

iElectribe, Carmageddon, and the Web Browser are the apps that crash on start or when loading a particularly busy web site (mostly with animated gifs or videos).

Carl