Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today  (Read 322493 times)

Online melville

• Motorcycles: R75/6, Yamaha 850 (very) Special
Re: What did you do to your bike today
« Reply #3225 on: September 06, 2017, 03:43:35 PM »
Oil change, and new filter of course.  My fuel taps aren't stopping consistently and the crankcase had fuel in it.  As did the right cylinder--it made quite the gas fountain when I took the plug out and hit the stater button.  I have new tap internals, but I'd like to wait until the tank is on reserve.  In the meantime, I have clamps on the fuel lines while it's parked.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.

Online radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
« Reply #3226 on: September 06, 2017, 03:51:46 PM »
Packed it!

Tomorrow we leave for a week in southern Colorado.  With short pit stop this weekend to spend time with some STOn'rs in Loveland.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR, 1971 BMW /5
« Reply #3227 on: September 06, 2017, 09:22:45 PM »
Packed it!

Tomorrow we leave for a week in southern Colorado.  With short pit stop this weekend to spend time with some STOn'rs in Loveland.

Where y'all going? I just back from Salida Monday.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Present retiree
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350 GOSLO, 2006 Ducati Multistrada DUCIT, 2006 Honda ST1300 GOFAR
« Reply #3228 on: September 13, 2017, 03:41:27 PM »
Not my bike, but the 2006 Focus beater car.  Starter was extremely intermittent.  We have a shop locally that breaks Focii for parts and fixes Focus only.  $25 for a nearly new starter, like NO corrosion  on the body at all.

I pulled the old one and found one of the power leads barely connected to the starter because the terminal was cracked off the actual solenoid.  New starter works a treat.  Since the old one was the original starter, I'm not complaining.  11 years is a good run.

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #3229 on: September 14, 2017, 05:46:49 AM »
Not my bike, but the 2006 Focus beater car.  Starter was extremely intermittent.  We have a shop locally that breaks Focii for parts and fixes Focus only.  $25 for a nearly new starter, like NO corrosion  on the body at all.

I pulled the old one and found one of the power leads barely connected to the starter because the terminal was cracked off the actual solenoid.  New starter works a treat.  Since the old one was the original starter, I'm not complaining.  11 years is a good run.

But how did you get the Focus on your bike lift?  ;D
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Present retiree
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350 GOSLO, 2006 Ducati Multistrada DUCIT, 2006 Honda ST1300 GOFAR
« Reply #3230 on: September 14, 2017, 09:12:10 AM »

But how did you get the Focus on your bike lift?  ;D

I despise laying in the driveway under a car on jack stands.  I especially hate broken parts that you can't really reach properly.   :bluduh:  I spent nearly two hours getting the old one out and 15 minutes putting the new one in.  The starter's held in place by two dowel pins and it froze on them.  30 minutes of prying/beating/cursing and lube finally made it come out.  Then I fought with the broken terminal getting it out of the special cap that Ford uses to attach the leads to the starter.

The old damaged starter.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
« Reply #3231 on: September 18, 2017, 10:45:16 AM »
At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday

Online Stripes

• Location: Michigan Center, MI, Penobscot, ME, Catawba Island, OH
  • I'm On A Boat!
What did you do to your bike today
« Reply #3232 on: September 18, 2017, 01:47:08 PM »
Nice.
Hard work, pays off in the future. Laziness, pays off now.

Online bungie4

• Assistance List
  • Motorcycles: 2013 FJR
« Reply #3233 on: September 19, 2017, 12:33:34 PM »
Just another day.

You know, we don't hand out written invitations to the FJR Eastern Owners Meet (EOM).  I mean, you could jump on the bike and head down to Wytheville and come play with 100+ other FJR riders.

http://www.attacktheroad.com/eom/

But, hey, if you wanna be a snob... :D

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Present retiree
« Reply #3234 on: September 23, 2017, 09:29:06 AM »
Why do I pick the warmest days to get out into the garage for maintenance?  Multistrada oil/filter change completed with Mobil1.  Next up is the ST1300 oil change and then a full cleanup of the Ducati for a photo shoot to repost on CL. 

Offline stew71

• Contributor
  • Hey...don't act like you're not impressed.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Triumph Tiger
« Reply #3235 on: September 28, 2017, 04:43:13 PM »
It had it's first encounter with a kamikaze squirrel today. Little bugger was spit out from underneath the car in the lane to my left and then combat-rolled into my front wheel.

Thump. Thump.   :(

Poor little dude.
With enough thrust, a pig flies just fine.

Online chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: VStrom 650
« Reply #3236 on: September 29, 2017, 02:50:32 PM »
Took a long lunch to do / finish some garage work today. I started the majority of this work on my tech day this past weekend, but holy crap, it was sooooooo hot that day, I did only a fraction of what I had scheduled.

Anyway, that whole job consisted of prepping the Popp Over America VFR 2.0 (2014 Interceptor he bought new a few weeks back) for the remainder of Joe's East Coast part of the tour, and a trip to The Dragon next week (which I had to bail out of for my uncle's funeral - grrrrrr). The following work (with 97 miles on the odometer)...

* new Pilot Road 4s
* metal 90* valve stems
* bar risers
* center stand
* power adapter under the seat
* installed side cases and top case rack (top case is on back order)
* keyed the luggage locks to the ignition key
* Akropovic exhaust
* oil change
* new Corbin seat should be arriving any day or minute...

Liz's ZREX got new rubber up front. That included chasing threads on the caliper mounts because the jacknut from whom she bought the bike used what seems to be either green lock-tite or crazy glue on the threads.  :headscratch: Fortunately I was able to save the threads and clean up the bolts with proper taps and dies. Cleaned and greased the axle, speedometer drive, bushings, etc. Just properly torquing things is fine; no need for all this other crazy crap. (sigh)

this signature on hold pending review

Offline xsrider

• Contributor
  • Be seeing you.
  • Motorcycles: '14 Tiger 800
« Reply #3237 on: October 28, 2017, 05:55:35 PM »
Installed a Shock Shield on my Tiger.

IBA #14938
Stay healthy, my friend.

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Present retiree
« Reply #3238 on: October 28, 2017, 06:45:58 PM »
Pushed the Ducati and Suzuki into the walkout basement for winter storage.  ST1300 is sitting on the lift out of the way.  The Kendon trailer got pushed behind the lift to get the Focus in the garage.  The entire rear suspension is coming out next week due to rubber bushing failures.  I bought a ProThane kit for the whole car to tighten it up.  Work starts tomorrow.  Monday, i need to buy a hydraulic press and spring compressors at Harbor Freight. 

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • Freezing worms makes them easier to sharpen
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 12SE Rosso, Moto Morini Strad 3 1/2
« Reply #3239 on: October 29, 2017, 03:48:09 AM »
The little Morini went to its new home.

Now, there's a huge autojumble just up the road today.....
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter