Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Over night ride to Eureka ca  (Read 227 times)

Offline Explorer

• Back roads master
  • Motorcycles: 89 trans alp 02 FZ1 07 tiger 1050
Over night ride to Eureka ca
« on: July 16, 2017, 09:11:07 PM »
Any buddy up for an over night ride to Eureka ca. This coming weekend July 22/23. This will be a coastal ride, with some off the beaten path roads. That I'm sure most of you have not been on. 90% of this ride will be on back roads, that are super fun and very little no no traffic. all the roads are paved. We will leave San Jose at 8am. We will take full advantage of the still long days while we have them.
Life's journey is not To arrive At the grave safely In a well preserved body But rather to skid In sideways Totally worn out Shouting Holy shit what a ride.

Offline Blunder

• Motorcycles: 01 Suzuki GSF1200S
Re: Over night ride to Eureka ca
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 10:23:40 AM »
You have fun, Jim.
A motorcycle with a bit of blood in it is better than any riding animal on earth.

Offline Explorer

• Back roads master
  • Motorcycles: 89 trans alp 02 FZ1 07 tiger 1050
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 10:02:32 PM »
Thanks I did the wather was perfict
Life's journey is not To arrive At the grave safely In a well preserved body But rather to skid In sideways Totally worn out Shouting Holy shit what a ride.

Offline doc4216

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Rory....R1200R
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 11:22:21 PM »
Missed this one but heading up and staying in Weaverville first weekend in August. Any tips for the ride back down from Eureka? I plan on riding the pch back down.
A straight road never made a skilled rider.

Offline melville

• Motorcycles: R75/6, Yamaha 850 (very) Special
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 06:51:14 AM »
Caltrans says 36 will have massive construction on it the month of August.  Up to 4 hour delays between Fortuna and Red Bluff.  I'm planning to ride it this week and I'll see if I can pick out where they're going to do the work.

If you've got all day (or a couple days) the trip back from Eureka would include the Mattole Road, Avenue of the Giants, and some of the old 101 (Hwy 271) alignment south of Richardson Grove.  Note that the Mattole Road was hit hard by last winter.  It's extra special bumpy this year.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.

Online xsrider

• Contributor
  • Be seeing you.
  • Motorcycles: '14 Tiger 800
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 11:11:18 AM »
Caltrans says 36 will have massive construction on it the month of August.  Up to 4 hour delays between Fortuna and Red Bluff.

Thanks for that.  I was planning to go there in August.  I'll make new plans.
IBA #14938
Stay healthy, my friend.

Offline melville

• Motorcycles: R75/6, Yamaha 850 (very) Special
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 10:17:04 PM »
Caltrans says 36 will have massive construction on it the month of August.  Up to 4 hour delays between Fortuna and Red Bluff.

Thanks for that.  I was planning to go there in August.  I'll make new plans.

So here's the deal.  I rode the full length of 36 today, finally getting The Pic:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

There was fairly normal construction going on, most of it nearly done.  Three flag zones and I always cut the line on the moto, with the blessing of the flaggers.  Road in great shape through Tehama, Shasta, and half of Trinity counties--basically halfway to Fortuna from RB.

The bit that will have the four hour delay is just west of Dinsmore, the section where the road has no center line.  The signs say that the road will be closed weekdays 8AM to Noon and 1PM to 5PM.  They've cut a swath of trees down all along the right of way and I think they're going to straighten the shit out of that bit.  Here's a vid from happier days, four years ago:

https://youtu.be/1hUujc6PqZ8

Now I do need to allow that that section needs a LOT of work after last (VERY wet) winter.  The road is trying to slide off the hill and bunches of quickie repairs have been made to keep it open.  I spent some time off the saddle letting the bike dance around some of the sketchier bits.

Options for inlanders--with this closure there will probably be less traffic overall on 36.  FH1 and Hwy 3 are still accessible, and if you know the other forest roads, by all means have at it.

From the west, the only (mostly) paved option would be the Blocksburg road from Bridgeville.  From this you can get to Alderpoint and Garberville or really get lost out to Zenia.  As always, don't open any gates unless you know the gate owner personally.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.