Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Upcoming trip - Jacket choice  (Read 514 times)

Online slayman

• Motorcycles: 05 ZZR 1200, 84 GPZ 550 (not running)
Upcoming trip - Jacket choice
« on: July 12, 2017, 06:17:40 PM »
My cross country adventure is two weeks away and I'm back and forth on which jacket to take.
The options:
A. Kili
B. Mesh Tex with wind liner.
C. start with Kili and ship Mesh to Dillon, shipping Kili home.
The trip: Depart Spokane 7/27 and head to Dillon CO. via Glacier NP and other fun riding areas. Depart Dillon 8/2 or 8/3 to head home to PA.
The Kili is no longer waterproof (although if I take it I'll run it through the Nikwax process) so rain gear is going along regardless of jacket choice.
Thoughts on the theory that in 90+ heat the textile is a better choice than the mesh.
"James Bond killed many men with a .380 and that's all I need to know." Cookie 2015-02-12

Online chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: VStrom 650
Re: Upcoming trip - Jacket choice
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 06:23:33 PM »
In 2008 - 18 days starting in late May going into June - I did a cross country trip, and hit everything from 25* to 113*, often in the same day. I used jeans under Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants, or shorts under them on the all-day hot days. I used a Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket with rain over jacket and a fleece under the jacket when needed. I shipped the remaining gear home halfway through the trip; that was enough for me.

113* in Red Bluff
~25* at the north rim of the Grand Canyon, snowing

And EVERYTHING in between - including a rather tepid run through Death Valley at about 78*, but with ~60mph cross winds.
this signature on hold pending review

Online SLK50

• Your life is what you make it.
  • Motorcycles: FJR1300, C-10
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 06:56:40 PM »
My cross-country kit for the last decade has been
a mesh jacket and mesh pants, rain gear that fits
over both ( also functions as a windblock for
chillier days ) and an electric liner for under the
jacket for those unexpected cold mornings.
The raingear and liner take up very little space.
This combination has proven extremely effective
on several trips when conditions were less than
predictable. I don't leave home for extended
trips without it.
It's never too early to plan.
It's never too late to go.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR, 1971 BMW /5
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 08:48:55 PM »
Thoughts on the theory that in 90+ heat the textile is a better choice than the mesh.

My recommendations on riding in hot weather differ from just about everyone here. My choice at 90's is mesh with a full camelback.

Damn. Pants too.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline kendenton

• Motorcycles: '15 Aprilia Caponord
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 09:24:14 PM »
Pretty much what SLK50 uses.  Mesh jacket, textile pants.  Rain jacket, heated jacket.  That combo good enough for pretty much anything.
IBA #37902

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 04:58:09 AM »
You can warm up a cool jacket, but you can't cool down a hot jacket.

Online R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
  • Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 06:57:06 AM »
I'm different than most when it comes to cool vs. hot.

For early morning starts and times when you're way up in elevation,  I really like a well vented 4 seasons jacket.  Besides, when temps are in the 90s and the air is hot, you'll want to keep the blow dryer hot air off of you anyhow.  This happened me last year in WY.  I was better with my vents closed while moving than with vents open the air was so hot.

When the heat isn't extreme, I just bring out this product of the gods and use it along with a camelback in my tank bag.

http://www.thewarmingstore.com/revit-cooling-vest-liquid.html?productid=revit-cooling-vest-liquid&channelid=FROOG&utm_source=CSE&utm_medium=GoogleShopping&utm_campaign=SolidCactus
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Online R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
  • Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 07:00:47 AM »
Case in point.

I just looked up the weather where I faced the largest swing in temperature last year. 

The high today in the Bighorn mountains will be 55.  But, in nearby Gillette, it will be in the 90s.  The air was SO hot near Gillette last year that I was better zipping up than exposing skin to the hot air.

That said, when I was stopped in road construction traffic outside Devil's Tower, I was miserable.  As long as I was moving, it was all good.
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Online bungie4

• Assistance List
  • Motorcycles: 2013 FJR
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 12:14:31 PM »
My last X-Country trip in 2010 (over 12K miles in 19 days)

Tourmaster Mesh (Intake/Caliber pants). Rain liners for both, Rain oversuit when it was cold and raining.  Heated liner under the jacket.  Everything form 24F on Chief Joseph Pass/Beartooth to 114 in Page AZ.

It all did fine.

Nowadays I run Motoport Kevlar mit 'der liners. No rainsuit.  But the heated liner stays.  I've run that combo at 65 mph in sleet at 35F.  Didn't even turn the liner on! But I damn near shit when I did only to find the fuze blown!

See's RDougs post about the cooling vest..

Oh ya! Cooling vest! Used that in AZ/NM/TX/OK/AR/AL (heat wave in Sept! 100F + the whole way!) It was a life saver.  But, it would dry out in 20 minutes running through desert.  My buddies didn't fair so well.

Offline CLAY

• How did I become a moderator?
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 04:29:39 PM »
If I know I am going to see swings, I do mesh +raingear in a side case.  If I get chilly I can throw in the liner or liner+hoodie, if I get really cold (or rain) I can put on the rain gear.  Like Cablebandit said- you can warm a cool jacket, but you can't cool a warm jacket.

That said when we did James Bay I knew it would get a bit more chilly and I think I did my textile jacket on that trip.  It vents pretty well.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho

Online chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: VStrom 650
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 05:22:36 PM »
FWIW, I did a long weekend on the 'Strom a month or so back, and each day was in excess of 90*, riding all over humid-as-sin PA once I got out of the hills, and I had one of my Joe Rocket textiles on. That thing flows a LOT of air - it was flowing a LOT of very hot air... and trapping enough to make me miserable. Went with mesh the following weekend in similar conditions and was much happier. I love me some textile, but I leave that stuff at home when the average temps are above 85 or so. So much easier to layer up when needed. Cable said it as plainly as it can be said. Go that route.
this signature on hold pending review

Online slayman

• Motorcycles: 05 ZZR 1200, 84 GPZ 550 (not running)
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 05:01:25 PM »
Thanks for the input y'all. The logic of "You can warm up a cool jacket, but you can't cool down a hot jacket." has prevailed. Mesh it is. My only reservation is the blast furnace effect of 90+ temperatures that I'll most likely encounter. Frequent refills of the hydration bladder will be required.
"James Bond killed many men with a .380 and that's all I need to know." Cookie 2015-02-12

Offline CLAY

• How did I become a moderator?
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2017, 07:25:19 PM »
With the mesh and a camelnack in the tankbag, I will frequently splesh the mesh jasnt and the shirts yunder, and allow it to cool.  Works well.  Sorry for rmisspellings, I'ma little lit.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2017, 08:16:36 PM »
With the mesh and a camelnack in the tankbag, I will frequently splesh the mesh jasnt and the shirts yunder, and allow it to cool.  Works well.  Sorry for rmisspellings, I'ma little lit Science teacher, not a literaturist.

FTFY :lol: :snork:
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

S-T.o -OH!

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR, 1971 BMW /5
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 05:46:21 PM »
With the mesh and a camel's neck in the tankbag, I will frequently splesh the mesh jasnt and the shirts yunder, and allow it to cool.  Works well.  Sorry for rmisspellings, I'ma little lit Science teacher, not a literaturist.

FTFY :lol: :snork:

Or!
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson