Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Kings HWY 129 Ontario  (Read 229 times)

Offline mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR
Kings HWY 129 Ontario
« on: June 19, 2017, 08:42:38 PM »
Planning a trip around Lake Superior for mid August. I only have time for one of these roads south of Wawa to Sault St. Marie. Hwy 129 through the twisties or 17 down the coast road. Any of you hosers have experience with either of these. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '17 Yamaha FZ-10'14 Vespa 946 Bellissma
Re: Kings HWY 129 Ontario
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 09:01:01 PM »
Looking forward towards your posts! Be safe.
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Online bungie4

• Assistance List
  • Motorcycles: 2013 FJR
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 01:17:38 AM »
Guess it's my turn to chime in.

The last time I rode 129 was about 3 years ago.  It was in atrocious shape.  You could ride it, but you'd be swearing.  Frost heaves, potholes, broken pavement gravel patches.  Truthfully, except for about 25km, its a boring road.  Arrow straight and no services for most of it's length.  It does have some nice scenic spots in that 25km stretch running directly beside the river.

Hwy 17 from SSM to Wawa is the Trans-Canada, as such, it's in good shape.  Its *FAR* more scenic than 129 is.  Theirs some great stops along the stretch that are right off the hwy.  Iroquois Falls, where the marker for the Trans Canada was (It froze off in a cold snap!), Sand River Falls,  Old Woman Bay.

Offline mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 05:20:31 AM »

The last time I rode 129 was about 3 years ago.  It was in atrocious shape.  You could ride it, but you'd be swearing.  Frost heaves, potholes, broken pavement gravel patches.  Truthfully, except for about 25km, its a boring road.  Arrow straight and no services for most of it's length.  It does have some nice scenic spots in that 25km stretch running directly beside the river.

Hwy 17 from SSM to Wawa is the Trans-Canada, as such, it's in good shape.  Its *FAR* more scenic than 129 is.  Theirs some great stops along the stretch that are right off the hwy.  Iroquois Falls, where the marker for the Trans Canada was (It froze off in a cold snap!), Sand River Falls,  Old Woman Bay.

Great info Bungie Thanks  :bigok:  Looks like we will be sticking to 17.

Is there anything on the northshore between thunder bay and wawa that would require a second night's stay. The plan for now is to leave thunder bay, go down and back to silver inlet, then on to wawa for the night. We are planning on taking in all the natural beauty at a leasurly pace. It's only about 300 miles between the two, so unless there is that much to stop and see, we will be doing it in one day.

Online bungie4

• Assistance List
  • Motorcycles: 2013 FJR
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 06:54:58 AM »

Great info Bungie Thanks  :bigok:  Looks like we will be sticking to 17.

Is there anything on the northshore between thunder bay and wawa that would require a second night's stay. The plan for now is to leave thunder bay, go down and back to silver inlet, then on to wawa for the night. We are planning on taking in all the natural beauty at a leasurly pace. It's only about 300 miles between the two, so unless there is that much to stop and see, we will be doing it in one day.

Imagine riding the Pacific Coast Hwy in Cali. Thats what the scenery is like. Its a seriously beautiful part of the country.  Lots of photo ops.  The Terry Fox Memorial, Kakebeka Falls (2nd only to Niagara in size) just outside of Thunder Bay, Sleeping Giant, Ouimet Canyon, Aquasobon Gorge in Terrace Bay to name just a few.  So, no, theirs is not one attraction to warrant an extra day.  But theirs a boat load of things to see!

The Rossport Inn was 'biker' friendly years ago. Otherwise, you'll be looking for accomodations in Terrace Bay (Red Dog Inn is acceptable, but no breakie), Schrieber or Marathon.