Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: n00b rider with chain maintenance questions  (Read 1264 times)

Online Cookie

• Contributor
Re: n00b rider with chain maintenance questions
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2017, 05:41:22 PM »
Still only one arm.

Online kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR, 1971 BMW /5
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2017, 05:53:26 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
“Anybody who wanders around the world saying 'Hell yes, I'm from Texas' deserves whatever happens to him.” — Hunter S. Thompson

If you're not on at least a couple government agency lists, you're not living right.
Bedlamite

Online CLAY

• How did I become a moderator?
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2017, 10:00:54 PM »
Pro-oiler.  My wife got it for me for Father's day a few years ago.  I run mine a little loose, and haven't touched it since I changed the back tire.  I run gear lube in it.  I'm lazy.   :shrug:
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: VStar 950, Ninja 650
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2017, 09:45:08 PM »
The Dupont stuff, I've read and heard conflicting info as in their formula changed and it's not as good as it used to be. 
http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/dupont-motorcycle-chain-lube-2012/index.htm

Any opinions on that?

This is why I switched to the stuff marketed for garage door chains.  It's like the old motorcycle stuff (dries quickly), so it protects from moisture and humidity but won't collect dust.  The bonus is, it's available at every Home Depot and Lowes (which is where I used to get the old Dupont stuff).

What's the mfg & name of the garage door chain product?
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2017, 06:26:02 AM »
The Dupont stuff, I've read and heard conflicting info as in their formula changed and it's not as good as it used to be. 
http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/dupont-motorcycle-chain-lube-2012/index.htm

Any opinions on that?

This is why I switched to the stuff marketed for garage door chains.  It's like the old motorcycle stuff (dries quickly), so it protects from moisture and humidity but won't collect dust.  The bonus is, it's available at every Home Depot and Lowes (which is where I used to get the old Dupont stuff).

What's the mfg & name of the garage door chain product?

I had a hard time re-finding this thread!  (Beginner's Garage and NOT EOE or Maintenance?)

Anyhoo:  This is what I've been using:
http://www.amazon.com/Blaster-Chemical-Company-Garage-Lubricants/dp/B0002JM8G8/ref=pd_sim_263_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=BR4T95SZCQWQYPKC0YET

By PB Blaster.  They also make a generic dry lube too.  I didn't see it at the Home Depot though.

Online chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: 1994 Honda Magna, 1980s KZ project-zilla debuting some time much later.
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2017, 02:19:58 PM »
over the years I  have tried everything from manufacturer recommended 80/90 gear oil to the latest and greatest (no-fling/ wax/teflon/etc.) chain lube. I haven't notice any difference in chain life?

Agreed.
this signature on hold pending review