Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: North Carolina Lodging  (Read 503 times)

Online ixxion

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Mucho CBR1100XX
North Carolina Lodging
« on: February 15, 2017, 06:15:35 PM »
Hello Region 5!

Planning an extended vacation (for us) with my very rare and precious vacation time.

We typically stay in Marion NC as we like the roads in the area, and travel outward from there as we can west to Deals Gap and south into GA. 

This time around a friend is traveling with us, and we may have some more local friends that we collect for an evening, so I was looking into an alternative to franchise motels.

We thought we might look at renting a house for a week, or a couple different places over the course of the 10 days we are down there. 

So my question is does anyone have recommendations for such lodging?

We would need two bedrooms.  Non-smoking, light drinking, respectful, no pets, no loud pipes, no burnouts, no drugs, and lower middle-class incomes.

Thanks for any input!

Online R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
  • Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
Re: North Carolina Lodging
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 06:49:57 PM »
Check out airbnb.com for homes around the Lake James area.  It's hard to beat the beauty of Lake James in the evenings and the location is between Marion and Morganton
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 11:24:28 AM »
VRBO

Used it a couple times and it's been kinda brilliant.  LOTS of places in NC.  We got a little log cabin off the parkway and a nice little cottage near Boone.  Both delivered.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Online garry

• Old and In The Way
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 02:10:11 PM »
VRBO

Used it a couple times and it's been kinda brilliant.  LOTS of places in NC.  We got a little log cabin off the parkway and a nice little cottage near Boone.  Both delivered.

We (wifey and I) use VRBO.com (merged with HomeAway.com I think) for a decade or more to find lodging for ski vacations for a large group (8-10). We used it for family vacations as well. Recommended.
2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
2009 KTM 570 EXC

Online ixxion

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Mucho CBR1100XX
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 03:21:18 PM »
Wow........as this draws near, we still don't have accommodations.  I've spent countless hours on VRBO, Homeaway and Craigslist as my computer doesn't handle all their links and add-ons well....30-40 VRBO windows open and it starts to get clunky, whereas I typical have at least that many open as a matter of course without notable performance degradation.

Some of the things that put me off are the add-on charges....yeah, its $110 a night, but a week stay cost $1250 with a $250 security deposit. WTF? Anyway, we still don't have accommodations and I must make a decision soon.  Anyone stayed at Sugar Mountain?

Plans for spring travel this year are officially coming together, as I now know that all my vacation day requests have been approved. So here goes.

*Monday, May 15th.  Departing Pennsylvania for North Carolina, Tennessee, and Georgia for the first leg of our vacation season.  Planning on spending most of our time in North Carolina and have plenty of time to explore and dodge raindrops should that occur.  Will be trailering down and back so we have spares and room for extra bikes. Still looking for a place to stay, will probably grab a vacation rental once we find the right one.  Recommends are quite welcome if there's a place where you've had a great experience. Been looking at VRBO and Craigslist trying to make a decision balancing amenities, location, and price. Returning to Pennsylvania on May 25th for work obligations.  Anyone who wants to meet up along the way, shout out. 

Online dpippin

• KLX 250S Information
  • Motorcycles: several
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 07:35:55 AM »
Wow........as this draws near, we still don't have accommodations.  I've spent countless hours on VRBO, Homeaway and Craigslist as my computer doesn't handle all their links and add-ons well....30-40 VRBO windows open and it starts to get clunky, whereas I typical have at least that many open as a matter of course without notable performance degradation.

Some of the things that put me off are the add-on charges....yeah, its $110 a night, but a week stay cost $1250 with a $250 security deposit. WTF? Anyway, we still don't have accommodations and I must make a decision soon.  Anyone stayed at Sugar Mountain?

Plans for spring travel this year are officially coming together, as I now know that all my vacation day requests have been approved. So here goes.

*Monday, May 15th.  Departing Pennsylvania for North Carolina, Tennessee, and Georgia for the first leg of our vacation season.  Planning on spending most of our time in North Carolina and have plenty of time to explore and dodge raindrops should that occur.  Will be trailering down and back so we have spares and room for extra bikes. Still looking for a place to stay, will probably grab a vacation rental once we find the right one.  Recommends are quite welcome if there's a place where you've had a great experience. Been looking at VRBO and Craigslist trying to make a decision balancing amenities, location, and price. Returning to Pennsylvania on May 25th for work obligations.  Anyone who wants to meet up along the way, shout out.

It's a little late to be making reservations now however you could check and you could use this for future trips. If so be sure to make reservation far ahead as this area is a popular vacation destination.

http://www.cloud9relaxation.com/cloud-9-home

The owners are friends of ours. The location is great. Asheville area with plenty of twisty motorcycle roads in the area.
If you end up in this area I can recommend roads to ride.

Doug