Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Virginian's Scooter Meanderings  (Read 2094 times)

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250
Re: Vespa 946 Meanderings
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2018, 01:44:02 PM »
HOLD UP, WAIT A MINUTE (ain't nothing but tutti fruitti get on the floor...  )

You can't just glaze over something like a million miles, dude.  That's not an insignificant milestone.  I think you need to take that from the scooter thread and create it's own thread worthy of ooooooh and aaaaaaah admiration by the rest of us.  That's a big freakin deal.  We were having the million mile conversation this morning.  NPR was touting a guy who did memoirs ... a truck driver who had driven over a million miles.  We were like, big deal.  That's his job.  We would hit a million miles of just our commute in 25 years.  But to do that on two wheels is a really big accomplishment.  Tracking it all is nearly as daunting. 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '17 Yamaha FZ-10 '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2018, 03:31:46 PM »
80*F/26.6*C today and I'm out running errands.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

A quick stop at Floozie's Pie Shop. The best pie evar! http://www.flooziespieshop.com/ Places like this are becoming extinct in the sense of mom & pop diners. To me they are the pinnacle of where to stop when traveling on two wheels. For those of you coming to the spring meet this place is 30 minutes away.

They also do incredible cakes, here's a few for the holiday season.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 05:24:38 PM by Virginian »
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2018, 03:45:17 PM »
Louisa Courthouse

Like most of rural Virginia there's veteran's memorials at the courthouse.
Louisa County Courthouse is a historic courthouse building located at Louisa, Louisa County, Virginia. It was designed by architect D. Wiley Anderson from Richmond and built in 1905. It is a two-story, five-bay, porticoed Classical Revival brick structure. It measures 59 feet wide and 63 feet deep and features a pedimented portico supported by four Ionic order columns. It has a modified hipped roof topped by an octagonal drum, dome and lantern. Associated with the courthouse is the contributing old jail built in 1818, and rebuilt in 1868 after a fire; the Crank Building (1830); R. Earl Ogg Memorial Building (1917); and a Civil War monument.

It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.

The jailhouse built in 1818.

1905 gate to enter.

John Mercer Langston's birth place. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Mercer_Langston he was a member of the Virginia's U.S. House of Representatives in 1890.

John Mercer Langston (December 14, 1829 – November 15, 1897) was an abolitionist, attorney, educator, activist, diplomat, and politician in the United States. An African American, he became the first dean of the law school at Howard University and helped create the department. He was the first president of what is now Virginia State University, a historically black college.

Born a free black in Virginia to a freedwoman of mixed race and a white planter father, in 1888 Langston was elected to the U.S. Congress as the first representative of color from Virginia. Joseph Hayne Rainey, the black Republican congressman from South Carolina, had been elected in 1870 during the Reconstruction era.

In the Jim Crow era of the later nineteenth century, Langston was one of only five African Americans elected to Congress from the South before the former Confederate states passed constitutions and electoral rules from 1890 to 1908 that essentially disenfranchised most blacks and many poor whites, excluding the blacks from politics. After that, no African Americans would be elected from the South until 1973, after the federal Voting Rights Act of 1965 was passed to enforce their constitutional rights. In addition, the U.S. Supreme Court struck down the gerrymandered district lines that southern white Democratic State legislatures had drawn to dilute their power and prevent blacks from having enough of a presence in any district to be able to elect a representative of their choice. At the time, most blacks supported Republican Party candidates, both white and black.

Langston's early career was based in Ohio where, with his older brother Charles Henry Langston, he began his lifelong work for African-American freedom, education, equal rights and suffrage. In 1855 he was one of the first African Americans in the United States elected to public office when elected as a town clerk in Ohio. John was a great-uncle of the renowned poet Langston Hughes.

Until the next episode, tune in same channel and same time for Vespa 946 Meanderings.

Eric
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 06:08:27 PM by Virginian »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2018, 07:48:23 PM »
Two last stragglers I forgot...

The bag hook to the rescue!

Online kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online minimac

• Motorcycles: GL1500A,Burgman Executive, Majesty, Morphous
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2018, 09:08:37 AM »
Thanks for the kind replies. I'm just sharing life, nothing very interesting here.

Might not be interesting, but looks like fun!

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2018, 10:40:02 AM »

I bumped into this very short 48 second video on Vespa 946s being hand made.

Happy Easter folks!

Online Virginian

• Contributor
Re: Virginian's Scooter Meanderings
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2018, 11:27:38 AM »
I'm planning a scooter trip to Charleston, SC to see the Hunlee. Would anyone have any recommendations for decent scenic roads in this part of the country?

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2018, 12:31:35 PM »
PS: I asked DantesDame to move this thread to the ride reports. My threads seem to wander in so many different directions... That said, I changed the title to be non brand specific and I'll post all my travels on any scoot in this thread.

Many thanks to DantesDame for helping!

:bigok:
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 12:45:03 PM by Virginian »

Online leeo45

• Motorcycles: VFR800, R1200GS Adv, 640Adv, 525EXC, 400XCW, etc.
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2018, 02:03:13 PM »
I read all of this (up to Floozies pies) when it was originally posted.    I just read it again now that it popped up in the ride reports and it was great the second time too.   Senility can have a few minor benefits.  :o   

Congrats and major accolades on the million miles.   That is quite an accomplishment and also a lot of opportunities to see great things without having to look through windows.   I haven't kept track of my mileage over the years but suspect I've ridden less than half of that.   And thanks for posting all of the pictures and commentary in your ride reports.   You have some great pictures and it is very interesting to read, plus it is an inspiration to get out and ride.    I suppose it should be an inspiration to do more cleaning, waxing, and detailing on my bikes too, however it hasn't quite triggered any action just yet.   Beautiful scoot.  Thanks again for taking the time to post all of this.   
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 04:29:32 PM by leeo45 »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2018, 12:03:36 PM »
I read all of this (up to Floozies pies) when it was originally posted.    I just read it again now that it popped up in the ride reports and it was great the second time too.   Senility can have a few minor benefits.  :o   

Congrats and major accolades on the million miles.   That is quite an accomplishment and also a lot of opportunities to see great things without having to look through windows.   I haven't kept track of my mileage over the years but suspect I've ridden less than half of that.   And thanks for posting all of the pictures and commentary in your ride reports.   You have some great pictures and it is very interesting to read, plus it is an inspiration to get out and ride.    I suppose it should be an inspiration to do more cleaning, waxing, and detailing on my bikes too, however it hasn't quite triggered any action just yet.   Beautiful scoot.  Thanks again for taking the time to post all of this.

leeo45,

You know, it's very kind remarks like this that make it worth while to post.

Thank you,

Eric

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2018, 02:41:13 PM »
I have lots of scooting plans this spring and summer and I'll try to keep this thread updated with my pointless pictures and posts. Here are a few highlights that I have on my agenda this year. Some of you may know that I love history so I tend to pick a historic site to visit and turn a ride into a learning experience. I'm a huge Civil War and WWII fan, throw in some plane and train museums and I'm happy as a clam at high tide! Here's a peek of things to come, hopefully...

- AmeriVespa, Vespa's granddaddy of them all events in Richmond (tons of pic from that event coming) https://www.amerivespa.net/
- The Hunley, first submarine to sink a warship that forever changed naval history https://www.hunley.org/
- Gettysburg, needs no introduction, that forever cemented America's outcome of the Civil War https://www.nps.gov/gett/index.htm
- Fredericksburg Battle Field, America's Battlefield https://www.nps.gov/frsp/index.htm - Done 04/18/18
- Anteitam National Battlefield - The Bloodiest Day in American History--Hope for Freedom https://www.nps.gov/anti/index.htm
- Harper's Ferry - A must see if you haven't visited before. https://www.nps.gov/hafe/index.htm]https://www.nps.gov/hafe/index.htm
- American Armoured Foundation, Inc. Tank Museum - A must see if you're a WWII buff https://www.aaftankmuseum.com/
- The Virginia Museum of Transportation - They are supposed to have a decent train museum and I want to see and possibly ride the famous Virginia 611 http://www.vmt.org/collections/rail/steam-locomotives/steam-locomotive-norfolk-and-western-class-j-611/

- I'll be headed back to OBX come early September so look for the usual beach stuff there
- Late September I'm off to Hawaii (never been) and hope to rent a scooter and see some of the island that I'll be staying on

I'll share my thoughts on the Xmax vs. the 946 as we go along. If any of you good folks have any specific questions or pics you need, just ask away and I'll get you some answers. This thread is about life, nothing more, nothing less. I welcome any and all folks to chime in. I'm just a VA redneck trying to enjoy what's left of my life and wish to share my adventures with the m/c and scooter community. So post your thoughts, pictures, jokes and climb aboard.

Eric
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 09:47:19 AM by Virginian »

Online RBEmerson

• Motorcycles: '03 BMW K1200RS
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2018, 09:55:12 PM »
South to SC from VA. Of course there's Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Having stumbled upon the truth, he continued on as if nothing had happened

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2018, 09:57:33 PM »
South to SC from VA. Of course there's Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway.

I was chatting with Doug who gave me some suggestions. Here's my first cut at it. Thanks for the suggestions!

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2018, 04:12:55 PM »
I was out scooting today and took a few too many pics... If you don't like history, stop reading here! lol

As I'm breaking in the motor of the Xmax, I decided to take lonely country roads around my area and weave my way back to Fredericksburg.

Here's a few random shots.

Take a look at this very old tree, the trunk was darn near the width of the bike. If this tree could tell stories I bet it would have a few over the last 100 years...

Anyone remember Tyler Risk from st.n? Today is her birthday and we've been friends for a while. Anywho, she loves old barns so I posted this for her on FB.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 09:30:46 AM by Virginian »