Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GoPro Might Be Throwing in the Towel  (Read 560 times)

Online SuperHans

• Contributor
GoPro Might Be Throwing in the Towel
« on: January 09, 2018, 05:49:25 AM »
Looks like all the cheap knock off action cameras may be hurting GoPro. Just looking around Amazon you can find plenty of them in the $50 - $100 range with excellent reviews.

And it just keeps getting worse for GoPro.

To recap, the floundering action cam company has been in poor financial health for years. Hundreds of staffers packed up their desks and skateboards in a round of layoffs affecting between 200 and 300 staffers Friday afternoon. Many of those let go were attached to the company’s barely-functioning aerial division, which GoPro announced it was shuttering earlier today. Can it get worse for this flagging, once-hyped company? Yes!

According to CNBC, CEO Nick Woodman is considering a partnership or sale of his company, and has paid for the services of J.P. Morgan Chase to help facilitate it. That report contains the telling line:

It’s unclear if there is an interested buyer for the company.

We may be jumping the gun here, but just in case—lets pour one out for GoPro. You were always too extreme for this mundane, price-conscious planet.

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
Re: GoPro Might Be Throwing in the Towel
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 10:52:43 AM »
We may be jumping the gun here, but just in case—lets pour one out for GoPro. You were always too extreme for this mundane, price-conscious planet.

In other words, they created the niche, then fell victim to overpricing their wares. I've seen that more times than I can count. Innovation is a wonderful thing, but that single solution market never lasts, particularly for something that is in essence a luxury good. If it costs too much, other suppliers will find a better price point.

LT
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 11:05:51 AM by Leanintree »
Great googly-moogly!

Online Cookie

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 11:10:50 AM »
Xiaomi makes a great little action camera for cheap.
Stripes' posts here ↓↓↓↓

Online SuperHans

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 11:20:45 AM »
Xiaomi makes a great little action camera for cheap.

Xiaomi makes quite a few great electronic items for cheap.

Offline cyjo

• Motorcycles: 2002 Bandit 1200S
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 09:44:31 PM »
Even if you like GoPro, there is little reason to get the latest model. For the 3+ I have is 1080 capable and that is more than enough to document a few rides. If I was making money off the vids it might be another story.

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: VStar 950, Ninja 650
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 02:05:24 PM »
On Shark Tank, they'd say he had a product, not a business.  I didn't care for him when he was on Shark Tank.
In December 2016, a class action lawsuit alleged that GoPro made false and misleading statements to investors and/or failed to disclose flaws in the company's drones, overstating customer demand, and GoPro's public statements were materially false and misleading.
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online RBEmerson

• Motorcycles: '03 BMW K1200RS
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 12:20:05 AM »
I have an SJCam SJ7 and a GoPro Hero 5 Black. The SJ7's video beats the Hero 5's video - comparing 1080 to 1080, etc. of course. The SJ7 video is crisper, with less pixelation and fewer compression artifacts. But, literally, I've burnt my fingers on the SJ7 - in its case, being used as a dash cam. It crashed, I tried to get the camera out of the case and... instant 1st degree burns. Hardly life threatening, but if the camera's that hot... The Hero 5 gets hot, too, of course, but not that hot. The skin is non-skid, which is nice. The camera can go for a swim without a case. The SJ7 has a metal frame with plastic front and display on the back. It's not much more than a "a little splash" water-resistant. At best. Dust can blow in through the SD slot, mic opening, speaker opening... It has to live in its case if it's not being used in surgically clean conditions.

The SJ7 cost about $200 and $300 for the GoPro. One looks pretty good, will take some knocks and water without complaining, but shoots lousy video. One is a hot-house flower, but shoots darn good video. I'm waiting for SJCam to release the SJ8, in hopes they've cleaned up the SJ7's problems. I'm also waiting for a million bucks to come in the mail. I'm not sure which will arrive first.
Having stumbled upon the truth, he continued on as if nothing had happened