Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Just how fast can one go on a motorcycle?  (Read 463 times)

Online kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
  • Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
Re: Just how fast can one go on a motorcycle?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 04:17:56 PM »
Wow, talk about stacking the odds against you.  That location is 12,000 feet above sea level.  Forced induction is your friend.  I can't believe that salt flat is 100 times larger than Bonneville.
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Online st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 07:44:33 PM »
Awesome!
Nice to see old guys having fun!   :bigok:

Scrubber, thanks for sharing this. I really enjoyed it.  :thumbsup:
She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider

Online leeo45

• Motorcycles: VFR800, R1200GS Adv, 640Adv, 525EXC, 400XCW, etc.
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 08:12:23 PM »
Wow, talk about stacking the odds against you.  That location is 12,000 feet above sea level.  Forced induction is your friend.  I can't believe that salt flat is 100 times larger than Bonneville.

Very interesting video.   I somehow didn't realize the FIM allowed record attempts in the thin air at high altitude.   Bolivia is very enthusiastic about motorsports so I am sure there will be other record days on the Salar.   

And yes, the Salar de Uyuni is huge.   The Dakar Rally has crossed or skirted it for the past several years in Bolivia.    In 2015 they crossed the Salar with water on most of it; plus they did mass starts (for the television coverage).    The pictures of that day's stage are pretty spectacular, but the salt ruined the electrical systems on quite a few of the bikes, especially the factory Hondas.   

If you are there as a tourist, there is a business at the edge of the Salar which will coat the bottom of your bike or car with diesel fuel (oil) to help minimize the corrosion.   

Dakar 2015 Etapa 8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JIQ9KLyP0U 

Offline motociclista

• 2013 and 2017 STO EOE Cup MotoGP champ
    • The Ride So Far
  • Motorcycles: Don't mind if I do. I love those things!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 07:29:37 PM »
If you're interested in learning more, Mark Gardiner wrote a couple of stories about these attempts, covering just about everyone who went:

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/seeking-400-mph-in-the-mountains-of-bolivia

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/three-world-speed-records-at-the-top-of-the-world-shootout
Whitehorse Gear is getting out of the publishing business and I'm closing out remaining stocks of my book. Now just just $10, personally signed and shipping is free in the U.S.

Online kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 10:17:40 PM »
https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/seeking-400-mph-in-the-mountains-of-bolivia

The thin air at that altitude poses no problem for the turbocharged motors used in virtually all streamliners and it causes less drag.

I would not have expected turbo's to overcome "packing in the air molecules to the motor" with the lower density. If they do - with lower density air for the vehicle to pass throug - I can see land speed numbers higher than at Bonneville.

Yes, nice reads - thanks!
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.

Online melville

• Motorcycles: R75/6, Yamaha 850 (very) Special
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 05:25:13 AM »

The thin air at that altitude poses no problem for the turbocharged motors used in virtually all streamliners and it causes less drag.

I would not have expected turbo's to overcome "packing in the air molecules to the motor" with the lower density. If they do - with lower density air for the vehicle to pass throug - I can see land speed numbers higher than at Bonneville.

Yes, nice reads - thanks!

Turbo tuners will up the boost at elevation.  If they were to take the same tune (boost level) to the SoCal dry lakes, they'd probably blow the motor into many small oily pieces.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '17 Yamaha FZ-10 '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 10:08:31 AM »
I just got around to watching this. I really enjoyed watching this and it's good to see folks chasing dreams, especially on 2 wheels. Thanks for posting.

Eric
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.