Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Let's see them!  (Read 17842 times)

Online Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
Re: Let's see them!
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2016, 07:55:17 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

R1200RT from an Edelweiss tour, sitting at the top of Timmelsjoch (pass) in Austria.

Jealous!!!
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Offline Rincewind

« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2016, 07:30:26 AM »
Found a deal that I couldn't pass up last week.   ;D

How did I miss this? Where is the test/review?  8) Once hipsters go out of style it might be fun to get one, me thinks.

My review so far:

Pros:
Factory Akrapovic exhaust sounds great
Excellent torque and good rev range
Ergos - nice lean forward
Stock seat is thin but not as bad as the F700GS OEM seat
Front brakes take a bit of lever pull to bite, but bite well
Fit & finish are great
I like the shaft drive and air/oil cooled engine
It's beautiful and classy

Cons:
Suspension is poor
My ass gets heavily sprayed in rain
MPG is just ok at low 40's
Not many luggage options - got a Givi tanklock ring for now
Tubed tires mean less easy flat repairs
No center stand option due to exhaust
Exhaust dual cans block single-sided swingarm
Didn't come with the factory heated grips or onboard computer option
May be using a bit of oil
Need torx bit to get off the seat
Battery is somewhat buried (though it has accessible terminals)
Wife says the pillion seat is very small - plus no pillion grab points other than rider

Offline nevinfs327

• Motorcycles: Ducati Scrambler; Kawasaki W650; Suzuki TU250
« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2016, 11:19:36 AM »
Congrats on the r9t Rincewind!  I was very close to buying that bike.  The Ducati Scrambler had just a touch more fun factor not to mention a notable price difference and a dealer excited to give me a good trade value on my Moto Guzzi.

I still think about that boxer torque and tractability.

Offline Rincewind

« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2016, 12:25:37 PM »
Thanks, Nevin.  I had been lusting over the nineT for awhile but didn't want to put out that much money on a new bike.  My local dealer had one with the aluminum tank, with the weld line down the middle - what a beauty!  Fast forward to the other week when I walked in there.  The aluminum tank special model was missing (had just sold), but then I saw this one sitting there.  Barely used 2015 model (2-months old, ~1100 miles) with nearly $4k in depreciation absorbed by the previous owner.  They let me test it, and I was sold.  I knew there would be some compromises compared to my F700GS, which was the best commuter I've owned, but I didn't care.  I ran home, got the checkbook and my title, and bid the lil' GS goodbye that same evening. 

Yes, the Ducati Scrambler is a lot of fun, too.  Lighter and less costly.  Actually was looking into the 750-1000 Japanese nakeds prior to finding this BMW.  I'm happy to have found this nineT instead.

Offline nevinfs327

• Motorcycles: Ducati Scrambler; Kawasaki W650; Suzuki TU250
« Reply #94 on: July 21, 2016, 12:37:51 PM »
Sounds like an excellent buy on a fantastic bike.  I looked both new and barely used for 2-3 months last fall and prices remained strong on both. 

Knowing the roads and riding of PA, the big boxer's torque and the more stable chassis of the nineT would be better suited to the area than the Scrambler.

Looking forward to seeing a ride report  :)

Also, saw this video in an email newsletter: http://www.cycleworld.com/ienatsch-tuesday-ahrma-spotlight-video-nate-kerns-bmw-r-ninet-vintage-motorcycle-racing?cmpid=enews072116&spPodID=030&spMailingID=26038737&spUserID=NzQ5OTQyNTYzNDkS1&spJobID=843028201&spReportId=ODQzMDI4MjAxS0

Online Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #95 on: July 21, 2016, 01:37:47 PM »
Good review. I often wonder about it, I'm hoping some nice used ones will pop up in a couple of years. Surprised about tube tires, I figured they were the GS tubeless style. Oil consumption should go down in the next 40k miles.
Where am I?

Offline Rincewind

« Reply #96 on: July 21, 2016, 06:34:25 PM »
Sounds like an excellent buy on a fantastic bike.  I looked both new and barely used for 2-3 months last fall and prices remained strong on both. 

Knowing the roads and riding of PA, the big boxer's torque and the more stable chassis of the nineT would be better suited to the area than the Scrambler.

Looking forward to seeing a ride report  :)

Also, saw this video in an email newsletter: http://www.cycleworld.com/ienatsch-tuesday-ahrma-spotlight-video-nate-kerns-bmw-r-ninet-vintage-motorcycle-racing?cmpid=enews072116&spPodID=030&spMailingID=26038737&spUserID=NzQ5OTQyNTYzNDkS1&spJobID=843028201&spReportId=ODQzMDI4MjAxS0

Nicely modded bike in that video!  Carbon fiber wheels  :drool: Ohlins suspension :drool: Clip-ons and rear-sets :drool: Carbon fiber valve covers :drool: RSD seat :drool:

Speaking of PA roads - yes, the chassis is good, but that's exactly where the stock suspension shows its weaknesses.   :o

Offline RBEmerson

• Motorcycles: '03 BMW K1200RS
« Reply #97 on: July 23, 2016, 02:50:08 PM »

R1200RT from an Edelweiss tour, sitting at the top of Timmelsjoch (pass) in Austria.

Jealous!!!

Not cheap but some careful shopping will turn up a tolerable air fare (some destinations are cheaper than others). Do homework on finding bike rentals near your destination (BMW Owners magazine, for example, lists places). Invest in a GPS with European maps (buy maps for an existing GPS - don't forget a mount you can wire to the bike's battery) and ditto for paper maps that show lots of roads (need more maps but much, much better than one map showing all of central Europe). Nail down your first stop (arrival and getting your bike details sorted out). After that spend time with Trip-advisor (Not, not, not bookings.com or similar!!!) to figure out where to stay while traveling. Friends pulled into a likely town, went to the info center and found a place to stay. Another option, like my trip, is stay one place and do long day trips. Buy an international plan for your phone (be very sure it's an "international" phone and unlocked).

Almost anywhere, somebody speaks English, at least to varying degrees. Euros work everywhere although Switzerland uses the Swiss Franc (not part of EU). Shop around for buying Euros. The worst possible place is the airport exchanges. Banks do it, AAA does it. Ask about the exchange rate and ask about fees. Credit cards with chips work well. Cards with strips... not so much. Be sure you know how your charge will appear on your account - fees, exchange rate - fees often vary between two cards from the same bank. Our main card works fine, our "points for gas" card is very spendy in Europe. Also spendy is gas. It's sold by the liter (roughly quart). IIRC 95 octane (AKA Super 95) was going, two weeks ago, for about €1.10/ltr. In Austria. In Italy it was over €1.20, ditto for Germany. Kinda makes you think about where to gas up, doesn't it?

Carry your bike's registration, insurance documents, and your passport everywhere. Going from one EU country to another may be nothing more than passing a sign showing you're now in Wherever. Depending on where you cross, the Swiss may take an interest in you, or wave you on. Value Added Tax (VAT) varies from country to country. If you make lower cost purchases, smile and accept it. If you make a big bucks purchase, bring the receipts, etc. to the "get your VAT back" booth at the airport, when you leave. If you bought it in the same country you're flying out of. Buy it in Switzerland and leave from Germany... not gonna happen.

Austria and Switzerland require stickers to use their autobahns. You can get on and off and never hear a thing. Or be stopped and... very, very spendy. Austria sells 10-day toll stickers. I have heard Switzerland has stickers for less than a year. Or not. If you're lucky, your bike renter may have either or both stickers on the bike. Or not. Ask in advance.

A couple of tips about restaurants, etc. Almost anywhere you eat, an 18% gratuity is added to the bill. On very rare occasions, it's not. If you like the service, when you pay the bill, round up. You paid about €20 for a lunch, say 22 Euros and you'll at least get a good thank you. The higher the bill, obviously the higher the round-off. But €10 on a €50 meal? Please don't - you'll make the rest of us, who do it right, look like cheapskates. So you've finished your meal. And you wait and wait and wait and wait. They're not ignoring you; you haven't asked to pay the check. That's just how things work. You want to nurse a cup of coffee for a couple of hours? Knock your socks off. Nobody will complain. Although you might get a look after an hour or two as the place fills and they'd really like the table back.

Coffee? Mineral water? Apfleschorle? What about a beer with lunch? Drink and ride is being a knob, period. "Ride like a knob and die." Or get caught above the very, very, very low allowable blood alcohol level and your trip is over. You have stepped into the deep stuff and it won't wash off. You might not make your flight home. Capice? Comprende? Einverstanden? Got it?

How else can LEO get you? Radar! With nasty cameras. Most are in plain sight. Some are not. If you're on a bike with no front plate and no obvious identifying stuff, you're probably safe. Probably being the operative word here. Enter any town or city (pass the sign announcing the town's name) and the limit is 50 km/hr. Unless it's marked 40 or 30. Leave town (usually town name and a red stripe through it) and you're back to whatever's allowed (look for those nasty 70 signs beyond the town line - I've seen police wait in bushes (honest!!) and nail people who think they're back to the "open road" limit). Open road, wide road, and autobahn limits vary from country to country. Typically on Swiss, French, Austrian, Italian autobahns it's 130 past a white circle with one or more stripes through it. Open roads are 100 in Germany, 90 anywhere else. The "no speed limit" German autobahn... it exists, but not everywhere. On any country's autobahn, you might be brought back to 100 for noise, environmental, or traffic flow reasons. Radar cameras will look for people who don't believe it. If the country speaks German, the hard and fast rule is drive on the right, pass on the left. People living in the left lane quickly find out how well their fellow motorists feel about them. Passing on the right, except in a jam or maybe a construction area, can get you points and a fine. The points won't matter too much. The fine will. Tailgating, IMHO, is almost a national sport. Good luck being sensible. The other countries? I'm happy to say I've only been there briefly or not at all. My understanding is the loudest horn has the right of way.

Lane splitting, AFAIK, is tolerated. I've never felt the need to do it. YMMV

OMG I've gone on far too long. NTL HTH. LOL
Having stumbled upon the truth, he continued on as if nothing had happened

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
« Reply #98 on: July 23, 2016, 04:16:02 PM »
I have heard Switzerland has stickers for less than a year. Or not.

Not. It is CHF40 for a full year (Jan 1 - Dec 31). No exceptions.  8)

We expect it  :bigok:
www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #99 on: July 24, 2016, 08:07:21 AM »
No month passes? I keep thinking I've seen them offered in Germany, near the border.

Wow - CHF and USD are trading at parity. Or a hair below. 1 CFH = 1.01 USD.

ADDED: To date, I have yet to rent a car with any toll sticker on it. We've asked for them when expecting to drive to Switzerland. But then, all of our rentals are from Frankfurt. I suppose there might be some Bavarian (e.g., Munich) or Austrian or Swiss rentals with current stickers. Or not. We stay off of the Swiss (and Austrian) autobahns.

Online Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #100 on: July 24, 2016, 03:35:34 PM »

We expect it  :bigok:

Feel free to ramble on, but we would certainly would like more pictures.  ;)
Where am I?

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2016, 09:02:50 AM »
Give me time to put together a more coherent ride report than I posted on The Other Site. Meanwhile... twisties? You want twisties?

In this picture I think I counted 17 of the 48 hairpins coming up Passo dello Stelvio / Stilfersjoch (same place, different languages) on the Austrian side.

Alexander Thiessen has 94 passes(!) on YouTube. This is the Stelvio video. He cames up from the Italian side and descended on the Austrian side. I did the reverse, but the video still gets it done. The bike is 650 VStrom.

Offline cyjo

• Motorcycles: 2002 Bandit 1200S
« Reply #102 on: January 05, 2018, 09:40:59 PM »
New to me '04 RT

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '17 Yamaha FZ-10 '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma
« Reply #103 on: January 05, 2018, 10:38:15 PM »
New to me '04 RT

Congrats Cyjo! Looks like a fine steed.
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Online radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
« Reply #104 on: January 08, 2018, 01:47:19 PM »
New to me '04 RT

Sweet looking Ride  :thumbsup: